Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

15 Days to visit Scotland, London and Italy?

Old Jun 16th, 2024, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

We're hoping to make our first European trip from the States and were trying to figure out if we were overpacking our trip and how feasible this could be.

We were mainly aiming to use the train as transportation between the big hubs and this is the initial plan.

Flight - September 3rd
Edinburgh - September 4th/5th
Travel to Isle of Skye (Train & Rental) - September 6th
Isle of Skye - September 7th/8th
Travel to London - September 9th
London - September 10th
Travel to Milan - September 11th
Milan - September 12th
Travel to Rome - September 13th
Rome - September 14th-16th
Flight Home - September 17th

Let us know your thoughts! Thank You!
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 08:50 PM
mjs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it’s a very good itinerary to explore some of the trains in Europe. Especially Isle of Skye to London and London to Milan. Not a very good itinerary if you want to explore much of London
or even Milan or Edinburgh or even Rome
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, way too much in the time you have. Travel days between places use up a lot of your time. If it was me, I'd figure out what I could cross off the list. More time in fewer places is what you could hopefully aim for.
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 10:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

Unfortunately your initial plan is extremely rushed and will leave you no time almost anywhere

my First question is . . . have you already booked these flights??? And if so are they flexible / changeable?

• My 2nd question is what do you mean by "Travel to Isle of Skye (Train & Rental) - September 6th)" ? If you take trains from Edinburgh to Skye do you expect to rent a car on Skye? There are no cities between Edinburgh and Skye and certainly no place t rent a car on the Isle. This is very rural territory - there isn't a Budget or Hertz around every (any) corner.

• Then traveling from say Portree to London on the 9th -- that is one hellacious trek. The very fastest journey would involve taking a 3.5 hour bus ride to Inverness, then flying down to Gatwick, and then a train up to London taking nearly 8 hours in total. Bus to GLA, flying to LHR and Elizabeth line into London would take a minimum of 9.5 hours . . . and bus + trains would take 12+ hours. Just an awful idea.

• Then, after traveling the entire day on the 9th you will have just one day for London which is almost tragic.

My general thoughts . . . IF you are firm on visiting Skye than you should do JUST Scotland and a few days in London. Doing Edinburgh, a stopover somewhere between Edinburgh and Skye, three days on Skye (any less is difficult - it is a very large island and the driving is very slow - like 30 mph slow) and finishing up with 4 or 5 days in London would be a very full 2 weeks. But IF you are set on Italy then you should do JUST Italy and perhaps a few days in London at the beginning.

IF you are stuck flying in to EDI and home from FCO . . . then do JUST Edinburgh, then fly to Italy and spend the rest of your time there . . . no Skye, no London - just Edinburgh and 2 or 3 cities in Italy.
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 10:17 PM

ps: Any plans for Skye would require driving all the way from Edinburgh. Trains would be scenic but once you got to Mallaig you'd be stuck without a car. The ony other practical option would be to take a small group tour such as Rabbies or TimberBush. Rabbies shortest tour that includes Skye is 3 days but most are 4+ days. https://www.rabbies.com/en?gad_sourc...hoChGcQAvD_BwE
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 11:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the big hubs confused me

i just don't understand this trip unless you just love trains
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 05:48 PM

Hope we haven't lost the OP