Thanksgiving Dinner in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris this Thanksgiving. Are there any gatherings or restaurants that will be serving dinner for Americans wanting the traditional turkey dinner?
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM

A 2-second google search turned this up:

http://www.venere.com/blog/celebrate...sgiving-paris/
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 09:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Here are some places, but please note that none of them has a very good quality rating.

http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/bes...ving_10pa.html
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:19 AM

We will be there for Thanksgiving and are interested to know also.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Then check out the info provided
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM

If, by chance you have rented an apartment, check out the store "Thanksgiving" in the Marais www.thanksgivingparis.com You can plan/pre-order your food items. They are very accomodating and helped me out with a New Years Day brunch this year complete with an "american" ham for my European friends. (yes, they asked for it)
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM

Check out www.bistrotsaint-martin.com.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM

Just me, but I wouldn't waste a meal in Paris on turkey and dressing!! LOL
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM

Many years ago we had a Thanksgiving dinner at our apt. for French and American friends. Can't remember where I got the turkey, probably from a butcher ordered in advance, but the pumpkin pies were from Fauchon. All enjoyed our American fete which was fueled by much French wine, Burgundy. What fun we had !
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
mjs

We have over the years spent many a Thanksgiving in other countries including one in Paris where we dined at Joe Allen's. Quite frankly Thanksgiving is not the same to us if it is not at our home or someone else's home. A Restaurant just does not seem to be Thanksgiving. We therefore just have our Thanksgiving on another date when we return home.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 07:05 PM

Thanksgiving is not a French holiday, period, so you might want to simply forget about it, or stay home for your Thanksgiving feast and head to Paris the next day.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM

I can see some people having reasons to want to eat an American Thanksgiving dinner in Paris. I can't, however, imagine anyone expecting it to be any good or even anything like what they'd eat at home.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM

Reasons to want to eat an American Thanksiving dinner in Paris ????? Only because we're AMERICANS, and we want to celebrate that fact. A Thanksgiving meal abroad is even more Thanksgiving-y than at home. One has the adventure of finding all the ingredients and cooking with friends to present a splendid table. Cranberry sauce is the only thing that presents a problem, but lingonberries or red currents can be substituted for it. When a freezer came to our small Spanish village, it was full of Butterball-type turkeys so not only did we have the bird for the holiday in Nov. but we also had Thanksgiving once a month all year long ! It was cheaper than any other meat.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM

I just agree that that holiday is all about family and HOME. If you are living abroad then fine. You are being an expat.
There's that funny store in teh 7th that has all the american stuff.
I did love adam Gopnik's story about his Thanksgiving in Paris--and the description that the turkey wasn't very good.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:25 AM

Several of our French friends have expressed an interest in sharing this holiday with us...just to see what it is like I guess. If we can't be with our family back home on this special day, next best is celebrating with wonderful friends
in Paris and introducing them to our tradition. Now, I just have to find the turkey and all the trimmings....and even though we know it won't likely taste the same...it is the company that will matter.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM

The problem is that nobody really likes turkey. It is healthy and it is cheap, but nobody actually likes it. What an amazing tradition!
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:10 AM

Speak for yourself ! On arrival my Hispanic students didn't like turkey and used chicken for the holiday. After a couple of years here they switched to the gobble-gobble bird.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:49 AM

Finding a turkey in Paris to cook for your Thanksgiving meal would be an adventure in itself, so you may have to settle for dining out. Harry's NY Bar would be interesting, but on the expensive side. I had a hot dog there once, it set me back $10, so you can imagine what turkey dinner would run. Besides, it's food rating in the Gayot Guide is only mediocre, a 13/20. Joe Allen isn't any better at 11/20. I think rabbit would be more interesting and no less (French) American.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM

<i>Speak for yourself ! On arrival my Hispanic students didn't like turkey and used chicken for the holiday. After a couple of years here they switched to the gobble-gobble bird.</i>

I don't see where you say that they thought it tasted better. They might have found it more convenient for a large group.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 09:18 AM

I have an annual standing reservation at Violon d'Ingres, with Paris and other traveling friends who might be there, for Thanksgiving. It has always been a rolled and tied menu for our table and full of surprises. They do it up well and would not miss it! I will arrive in Paris on Nov 20 and will only stay til Dec 15, but will return in Jan for a couple months. The first year Alexandre (Maitre D) came out with a large pan with an uncarved turkey to show us..the whole restaurant was agog..and wondered where theirs was! We do have fun.
a bientot...
Joan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -