15 days in Scandinavia

Feb 9th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

15 days in Scandinavia

Hi All, my husband and I(in our 30s) are planning our first trip to Scandinavia. So far we have booked our flights to Scotland and Departure will be from London. The rest of the itinerary is still flexible. Our interests are nature, scenic trains, cruises, fjords, hiking, castle, canals, palaces, architecture and shopping. We live in Singapore and have traveled extensively. We like fast paced trips and don't mind spending a bit more for better experiences.

This is our plan we don't want to drive so will be relying on public transports only.

23rd June- Arriving Scotland in the afternoon (From Finland)
26th June- Flight to Copenhagen (Possibly a day trip to Roskilde)
30th June- 7th July Norway
8th July flight/train to London.

Questions:

1. Not sure if we should visit Gothenberg also, have read different reviews on the website. It looks like a place more appealing for kids and since we are traveling alone we want to avoid kids centered places.
2. In Norway we want to do 2-3 Fjords so which one should be more convenient, scenic and diverse? We could fly ir or out to either Oslo or Bergen from Copenhagen. Other places which look very interesting are Nigardsbreen, Pulpit Rock, Lofoten, Tromso andAlesund. We certainly can't include all so which ones are doable?
3. As per current plan we have 3 days for Sweden, 4 days for Copenhagen and 8 days days for Norway.
Since no bookings are done we are very flexible with adding places or changing the allotment of days at each place.

Any suggestions will be really appreciated

Last edited by sim83; Feb 9th, 2019 at 06:40 AM.
Feb 9th, 2019, 09:06 AM
kja

I'm confused -- where is Sweden in this plan?
Feb 9th, 2019, 10:58 AM

Not sure I understand the itinerary - why would you fly to Scotland from Finland then to Copenhagen? If you have planned 3 days for Sweden, it is no way enough to see very much at all. Midsummer in Scandinavia & Finland is a very important time of year, second to Christmas in importance, can you rearrange so you can be there?
Feb 10th, 2019, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Very sorry, I just realized I have written Scotland instead of Stockholm
I will post the question again.

Hi All, my husband and I(in our 30s) are planning our first trip to Scandinavia. So far we have booked our flights to Stockholm and Departure will be from London. The rest of the itinerary is still flexible. Our interests are nature, scenic trains, cruises, fjords, hiking, castle, canals, palaces, architecture and shopping. We live in Singapore and have traveled extensively. We like fast paced trips and don't mind spending a bit more for better experiences.

This is our plan we don't want to drive so will be relying on public transports only.

23rd June- Arriving Stockholm in the afternoon (From Finland)
26th June- Flight/Ferry to Copenhagen (Possibly a day trip to Roskilde)
30th June- 7th July Norway
8th July flight/train to London.

Questions:

1. Not sure if we should visit Gothenberg also, have read different reviews on the website. It looks like a place more appealing for kids and since we are traveling alone we want to avoid kids centered places.
2. In Norway we want to do 2-3 Fjords so which one should be more convenient, scenic and diverse? We could fly ir or out to either Oslo or Bergen from Copenhagen. Other places which look very interesting are Nigardsbreen, Pulpit Rock, Lofoten, Tromso and Alesund. We certainly can't include all so which ones are doable?
3. As per current plan we have 3 days for Sweden, 4 days for Copenhagen and 8 days days for Norway.
Since no bookings are done we are very flexible with adding places or changing the allotment of days at each place.

Any suggestions will be really appreciated
Feb 10th, 2019, 12:45 AM
kja

It really depends on what you want to see and do, but personally, I thought Stockholm deserved a bit more time than Copenhagen, and if you lose any time to jet lag, then you might want to give Stockholm a greater proportion of your time. That said, it doesn't seem that you have 3 full days in Stockholm (if you are arriving on the 23rd and leaving on the 26th), nor does it seem that you have 4 full days for Copenhagen (if arriving on the 26th and leaving on the 30th). That wouldn't be enough time for me in either city. YMMV.

I haven't been to Norway yet, and so can't offer suggestions about balancing your time across all of these destinations.
Feb 10th, 2019, 12:51 AM

Not sure if we should visit Gothenberg also, have read different reviews on the website. It looks like a place more appealing for kids and since we are traveling alone we want to avoid kids centered places.
Excuse me for expressing it this way, but "Huh?"

What kind of information have you read that gave you that idea? In any case, the Götenborg Archipelago is wonderful, and Götenborg itself an interesting city with lots of influences, amongst which is the mark Dutch civil engineers left on the city centuries ago.
Feb 10th, 2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by kja View Post
It really depends on what you want to see and do, but personally, I thought Stockholm deserved a bit more time than Copenhagen, and if you lose any time to jet lag, then you might want to give Stockholm a greater proportion of your time. That said, it doesn't seem that you have 3 full days in Stockholm (if you are arriving on the 23rd and leaving on the 26th), nor does it seem that you have 4 full days for Copenhagen (if arriving on the 26th and leaving on the 30th). That wouldn't be enough time for me in either city. YMMV.

I haven't been to Norway yet, and so can't offer suggestions about balancing your time across all of these destinations.
I agree. If it were me I'd skip Copenhagen and add those days to an Archipelago excursion from Stockholm.

Norway: instead of doing "Norway in a Nutshell" consider either flying or taking the train to Bodø and getting on Hurtigruten to visit Lofoten and/or Tromsø.
Feb 10th, 2019, 02:01 AM

IMO there isn't enough time to see Stockholm, let alone Göteborg and Copenhagen. A trip to one of the archipelagoes should be included.
Feb 10th, 2019, 05:41 AM

Hi. I agree with menachem about Göteborg since its known to have a more European feel than Stockholm and the fact that has more and more tourists each year, means there is a lot to see and do there. You mentioned you love cruising, nature and fjords.The place to visit while in Göteborg is the Southern Archipelago by taking a boat excursion. Another tourist attraction that you might enjoy in Göteborg is the botanical garden which is one of the largest in Europe. To save time you may consider booking your excursions with tour agencies. Have fun!
Feb 10th, 2019, 06:27 AM

I certainly preferred a Stockholm to Copenhagen, although I would recommend the side trip to Roskilde. For Norway I did a Hurtigruten cruise from Bergen to Kirkenes, but you could certainly just do a night or two.

I liked Gothenburg, see: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...g-garden-city/
Feb 10th, 2019, 09:36 AM

Scandinavian Trip

I travel to Sweden just about every year and I never ever get tired of Stockholm. Must sees in Stockholm- Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan (Old Town), Djurgarden (amusement park), Nobel Prize at City Hall, Skansen Open Air Museum, The Royal Palace in Gamla Stan, Drottningholm Palace & Boat Tour. Get the Stockholm Pass and you can access all. Cruise in the Stockholm archipelago by catching the boats just outside of Gamala Stan. Watch the changing of the guard at the Palace in Gamla Stan. Stay in Gamla Stan at the Victory Hotel+ very charming! I also spend my time in Öland, 5 hours drive south from Stockholm and only 2 hours by train or car from Copenhagan. Your kids would love their beaches. I have only been to Gothenburg once but it was fabulous.

As for the fjords, fly into Bergan. Oslo is too far away. Pick a nice hotel there and they will guide you with your options for the fjords. There are many tours available. Go to the Norway forum, there are lots of comments about which fjords to visit. Hiking is the big thing in Norway. Just being outdoors in their mountains is just breathtaking!

Have fun!
Feb 10th, 2019, 10:23 AM

Scenic trains - Oslo to Bergen is one of the most scenic in Europe but most Scandinavian trains have ho-hum scenery. Don't miss Norway In a Nutshell loop from Bergen and back or between Oslo and Bergen or v.v. - for lots on trains and scenic trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com - booking in advance can yield nice discounts.
Feb 13th, 2019, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, really appreciate them. We will keep it to Stockholm for this trip and probably do the Stockholm archipelago.

We are confused with our Norway plan. We are doing 3-4 nights in Lofoten and then 3 nights in Bergen region (including the standard NIN train/cruise around Flam/Voss). We have 2 extra days and not sure if we should add Oslo Region or Geirangerfjord/Naeroyfjord or Tromso or Stavanger?
Any help will be really appreciated.

Feb 13th, 2019, 07:17 AM

Oslo is a nice city for a few days and a great transit hub too.
Feb 14th, 2019, 04:55 PM

As for the Norway plan, do the NiN play. You will love it. Norway is drop dead gorgeous.