Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From train station to hotel with 5 people?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched all of the try reads but mostly saw transport from the airport to hotel or taking a taxi from the train to the hotel. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids. We will drop our car in Orvieto and take the train into Rome.

Is there a car service to hire to take us from the train to our hotel? We won't all fit in one taxi and I don't see walking through the city with all of our luggage with 3 kids (though we are going to pack light)

Our hotel is at Largo Arenula 11

Thank you!

(And yes I realize we could walk but keeping track of 3 kids in unfamiliar streets and trying to navigate luggage does not sound appealing
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Take 2 taxis from Termini.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Hez

Or some go in the taxi with the luggage and others walk, depending on how far your hotel is.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 02:13 PM
WWK

It would be easier to arrange a transfer ahead of time. I can highly recommend TIBER LIMO. We used them last summer (five people from the airport to our hotel in the historic center) and thought they were really great!
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 02:24 PM

"It would be easier to arrange a transfer ahead of time."

What could possibly be easier than walking out the door of the station and getting in 2 cabs, 1 adult in each. Unless the word limo is particularly appealing, but that doesn't make it easier. When there are readily available and comfortable public options, why tie yourself to a meeting with no advantage. You might, for instance, like the option of a spontaneous meal in Orvieto but, no wait, we've booked a limo. Only good if flexibility plays no part in your plans.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! 2 taxis it is..i wasn't sure if that was the most logical (well it sounded so in my head but wasn't sure what other options were available)

Old Feb 16th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>We won't all fit in one taxi and I don't see walking through the city with all of our luggage with 3 kids (though we are going to pack light)<<<

There are plenty of minivan type taxis so you can all go together. Get in an official taxi (Comune Roma on the side). It's really not walkable from the station with luggage (with or without kids). Taxis can charge a luggage fee so don't be surprised about it.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Actually, a private transfer service may even be cheaper than two taxis. On the route from the airport into Rome, there are several services that charge less than a single taxi. One of these, which we've found very reliable, is www.romeshuttlelimousine.com . I don't know whether they pick up from Termini station, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

As an alternative, the number 40 bus from Termini station stops at Largo Argentina.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM

IMO bus not a good alternative - possibly even more hectic than trying to walk it - crowded and also often "tricky" people on that route looking for distracted travlers to prey on.

Two taxis, or a big one if available, sounds like the best idea to me unless one of the shuttle services gives you a great rate.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:18 AM
WWK

MMePerdu,

Why so snarky? With kids in tow, it is often easier to arrange transportation ahead of time. Oh, and by the way, Tiber Limo is simply the name of a very reputable transfer company. Most clients don't request or need limos. Cost wise works out to slightly higher than two cabs into Rome.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:37 AM

One person's snarky is another's practical. The simplest way is often the best way. If you like the idea of a limo I have no objection whatever. But I'm a believer in spontaneity and unnecessary reservations inhibit that quality which is, to my way of thinking, one of the most valuable aspects of travel. Children are the most spontaneous of us all.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 06:54 PM

A regular taxi can take 5 people, but possibly not the luggage. Still, there will be plenty of van type taxis so it really shouldn't be a problem for the family to find one, just make sure it's an official one.

I think arranging a limo to meet a train might be a little different than meeting a flight. All the limo services have certain wait times for flights. I'm not sure how that would work with train arrival. I've had that train be an hour late before. YMMV.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies

So..this may be a totally screwy idea but would it be a bad idea to just return the car either closer to Rome or bring back to the airport and take transfer in from there? It is on the other side of Rome from where we are coming in from (Orvieto)

The car rental is cheaper from airport to airport (not by a ton...about $75) We would need to add on the train tickets for 5 and the taxi (would love to find the van type that was mentioned ) With the airport transfer to hotel it would wash out the savings of dropping it at the airport but would still save the train fee.

Thoughts? I'm willing to spend $ to make my life easier
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Are you taking off the extra rental day? If you take the train from Orvieto, you would turn the car in there after you arrive (assuming you are spending a night or two there). That saves you a day or two rental fee.

I don't think dropping the car somewhere closer to Rome helps you at all as you would still have the transport issue from the drop off to the hotel. Depending on the ages of your children, the train might be free.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:30 AM

I have no experience with dropping a car either place. But if you're coming from the north, in particular, I suspect the drop-off at Orvieto will be the simpler proposition. Plus you've got Orvieto, which I do know. The station there is small and simple, right at the bottom of the funicular to the old town with a cafe and small shop, all very pleasant. I've also taken the Leonardo Express from the airport, which is fine too, just not what I think of as pleasant.

Other than the "pleasant" factor, you'll have the additional drive to the airport which I'd avoid if I could. But they are much the same except for the fact that anything involving a big airport is never my first choice. Bearable is likely the best one could say in general. My suggestion would be to stick with the Orvieto option and not worry about transport from Termini, take whatever you find. It's nothing to think much about, really.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Agree with MP above. Leave car in Orvieto, take train, get a nice taxi van at Termini. I can almost promise you it won't be a problem.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Okay I'm convinced thanks I assume the car rental drop off will be close to the train in Orvieto. What is the best way to order train tickets? It will be a fun adventure anyways!!
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 11:33 AM

I don't think you need to get tickets in advance of your trip if it's just Orvieto to Termini. On short trips like that you don't save much, if anything. I just looked at last minute tickets and they start at 7.50 €, depending on the train. Just buy them when you get to Italy.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...005817f90aRCRD
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Car drop off at Orvieto: Most likely Hertz, it is practically across the station ... BUT..realize that you are in a small town Italy. Office closes for lunch time, only open half day on Sat and closed on Sun. You will need to follow the off hour drop-off procedure if you are comfortable with it. Also read complaints about office hour practice at this particular location.

There is no need to pre-buy train tickets to Rome. You are on an R train or more expensive IC train that requires seat reservations. There is little difference in travel time between the two. The station closer to your hotel is Roma Termini (not Roma Tiburtina).
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Hez

Our train was late getting to Orvieto which meant the Hertz office would be closed when we got there. I called and they were more than happy to wait around an extra 15 minutes for us. YMMV.