Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   15 day trip in summer. Best places to visit? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/15-day-trip-in-summer-best-places-to-visit-934099/)

Giuliano_Machado May 5th, 2012 12:57 PM

15 day trip in summer. Best places to visit?

So, I am planning on having a 15 day vacation to know Europe. There are too many places that I would like to go, but i don´t know which ones I really should visit. Paris is the only city that is obligatory for me, and I would like to visit London, Amsterda, Barcelona, Athens, Prague, Firenze, and the list goes on.

Can somebody suggest me a good 15 day itinerary trip including Paris and other cities?

Thank you verz much,
Giuliano.

HappyTrvlr May 5th, 2012 01:01 PM

It is easy to take the train from London to Paris, then another train to Amsterdam. I guess you could add one more city, maybe Prague or fly to Barcelona or Florence.

Aramis May 5th, 2012 01:48 PM

Giuliano;

You need to narrow down your likes and wants for this trip. You will get 10 people telling you different things based on what they like; "Oh don't even leave France! There's so much to see and do", or "I would do Prague another time", etc., but that may not be what you like. Does it really help you decide if one person says Barcelona is their favourite and another says Amsterdam? Is that unexpected?

You have a start in that Paris is a must, so that's good. You list 6 other cities and say there is even more you want to see. Most people will suggest that you spend at least three days in each major city, so if that pace appeals to you, you should probably decide on about 5 cities and then ask for recommendations on itineraries for them and the logistics for getting between them.

If you want to see more cities and think that two days in each is enough, that's fine but you are really putting on some time pressure in traveling between cities. It will take at least half a day in most case to move from one city to the next, so that leaves you with no more than 1.5 days in each of Paris, London, Barcelona, etc.. That is a tough schedule but you say you want to "know Europe" which I take to mean that you want to see as much as possible of different parts on this relatively short trip.

What kind of traveling are you prepared to do - every second day for 6 hours or more. Will you take the train all the time or maybe fly a leg or two? Will you fly into one city and out of another Flying into and/or out of London and Rome, for example?

Giuliano_Machado May 6th, 2012 11:30 AM

@Aramis: the problem is that I have a lot of interests, I am just asking for suggestions of breath-taking places in general. Of course personal taste depends, but there is always a general consense of what should be seen in a trip. But for me, another must see would be Barcelona, and I like historical cities (mixed with modern architecture) and I really like to see the sea and stuff.

Now, I bought a book by lonely planet: discover europe, and inside I found two itineraries that I liked:

The first one, for 2 weeks is:

1: Barcelona
2: Nice (that I would change for Paris)
3: Cinque Terre
4: Venice
5: Dubrovnik
6: Athens

And the second one, that I personally think that it´s too many places for the time, but my girlfriend thinks it´s ok. The itinerary is:

1: London
2: Paris
3: Barcelona
4: Rome
5: Vienna
6: Budapest (maybe Prague instead?)
7: Berlin
8: Dubrovnik
9: Athens
10: Istanbul.

Now, I must admit that the second itinerary really attracts me, the only problem that I see is the time (it´s like 2 days per city, don´t know if it is enough. So that´s why I need some help, too many places haha.

Thank you very much,
Giuliano.

annhig May 6th, 2012 11:41 AM

Now, I must admit that the second itinerary really attracts me, the only problem that I see is the time (it´s like 2 days per city, don´t know if it is enough.>>

giuliano, your instincts [if not your maths] are correct. the 2nd itinerary has 10 destinations in 15 days, ie 1 & 1/2 days per place. take off half a day for travel time every time you move, and that's down to one day each. not my idea of a holiday, and not yours either, I think.

you want Paris and Barcelona, and the sea - isn't that an excellent starting point? your many interests will be more than met by that combination plus some [day or longer] trips from Barcelona to the coast, to Girona, Monsarrat, etc. etc.

at a squeeze you could put London at the front of the trip, so as to get to take advantage of eurostar train, but otherwise, i think that would be enough.

Prague, Berlin, Vienna, and Budapest are another trip, and Athens, Dubrovnik and Istanbul yet another. they will still be there when you come back.

janisj May 6th, 2012 12:07 PM

Even the first "slower" itinerary is VERY difficult w/ almost no time in most cities. Some of them would take most of a day just to travel to.

15 days is really closer to 13 days "on the ground" and available for touring, so that six-city itinerary would give barely a full day in some cities, 1.5 days in others.

Paris, London and one or two other cities is a very full 2 weeks.

bobthenavigator May 6th, 2012 02:18 PM

Pick 5 max and make the next no more than 4 hours from the last. Why all big cites?

Giuliano_Machado May 11th, 2012 09:52 AM

So, what do you guys think of:

Two weeks trip:

1: London
2: Paris
3: Barcelona
4: Venice
5: Dubrovnik

Maybe cut off London? Or do you guys think this would work?

longhorn55 May 11th, 2012 10:45 AM

I would definitely cut off one city from that list. You are going to get 5 different answers for which one to eliminate. You are going to have to decide this based on your interests and your budget.

P.S. The city to eliminate is NOT London.

robertino May 11th, 2012 11:06 AM

London, Paris, then either Barcelona or Venice. Open jaw flight.

robertino May 11th, 2012 11:09 AM

Oh - August. Not Venice.

bobthenavigator May 11th, 2012 12:15 PM

Tell us how you plan to transfer from each to the next and how you plan to fly home. You would need a private helicopter for this itinerary.

Giuliano_Machado May 13th, 2012 12:11 PM

Well, I am living in Europe for one year, so it is easy to get back.
I could cut Venice off, i think it would be ok.
Any tips on how to go to these places? I was thinking about getting a train pass for two weeks, something like that.

I can only go in end of june actually... The schedule is quite tight.

Thanks for all the responses!

Giuliano_Machado May 13th, 2012 12:17 PM

Maybe Dubrovnik off abd Venice on, I am thinking haha
Oh Europe, so much to see...

annhig May 13th, 2012 01:30 PM

no point in getting a train pass - you won't be getting the train between Barcelona and dubrovnik, will you?

if you are living in europe, what's the hurry?

now I see as well that your trip is at the end of June - if you like the idea of venice, go there first, then Trieste [some great threads about Trieste] and work your way down to Athens [which should be very cheap by the time you get there!]

loads to see on the way, get around on buses, no need to book except in Venice.