Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

14Days Rome, Florence, Lucca & Venice Honeymoon

Nov 25th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi, we are planning our 2-week honeymoon to Italy in late Feb. Tentative schedule - Sun-Thur 5days Rome, Thur-Wed 7days Florence & Lucca & Wed-Sun 5days Venice. Train between cities and maybe rent a car in Florence to go to Lucca.
1) Budget-wise, how are the distribution of cities?
2) We want to get some countryside Tuscany and definitely want to spend time in Lucca to look for some relatives. Should we base in Florence and day trip a few times, or split the days and find a B&B?

Any hotel, B&B & cooking class/tour recommendation is appreciated. Thanks!
Nov 25th, 2003, 04:15 PM

In late October & early November, we stayed in Rome, Lucca, & Florence.
We took the Eurostar first class from Rome to Lucca (with a change of trains in Florence).
If you find Rome stressful, Lucca makes a restful stop. It's a lovely walled city. A Swedish lady at the main tourist information gift shop was very helpful about beautiful nearby villages & villas to visit.
After Lucca, we trained to Florence, where we had a very comforable apartment.
We were surprised at how crowded Florence was at this time of year (late Oct., early Nov.) - much more so than a previous visit a few years ago in early October.
I hope you have better weather than we had. It rained almost every day and sometimes it was very cold at night.
IMO a stop in Lucca for a few nights is well worth it.
Nov 26th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply suzy. I hope we won't get too wet too!

I agree a few days in Lucca to relax is ideal.

Do you recommend any of the places you stayed at? Do you mind sharing with me?
Dec 9th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Renting a car in Florence you can take a little longer route going through San Giminagno (sp?) and Volterra then head up to Lucca. Add a fun day trip to Carrara and the marble mines and maybe Pisa.
Dec 9th, 2003, 08:48 AM

We loved our Italian honeymoon this past summer, you will find it amazing! We skipped Rome and stayed N of it but Tuscany was our favorite. www.tuscany.net had some wonderful farmhouses and b&b ideas. Personally, a night in Florence was enough bor me. IF you have 7 days, I'd rent a car leaving Rome, Drive in S Tuscany and stay near Montalcino for a few nights. Drive thru Siena and visit there and possibly stay a night in San Gimignano (we enjoyed www.sangiaparments.com and very cheap) then over to Lucca for another night or 2. Turn in car in Florence for a night and day of touring b4 heading to Venice! Sigh! I want to go back!
Dec 9th, 2003, 11:24 AM
ira

Hi Fly,

You can easily train to Lucca
and take the SITA bus to Siena. The bus terminal is about a block from the train station.

Orvieto is a nice hilltown to visit from Rome by train.

See www.trenitalia.com/en for trains and http://www.sita-on-line.it/ for SITA bus.
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:07 PM

This suggestion may be too late for you; it was just published in today's SF Chronicle "Follow the Reader" column. The reader strongly recommends a new hotel (too new, evidently, for the guidebooks) within the walls of the town, the Alta Dimora Lucenese. It's housed in a Renaissance-era building, and the reader had a "large, beautifully furnished double room" for 120€, including breakfast.