Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

14 minutes in Bordeaux (gare st. jean): advice???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate some tips/advice. I will be taking a train from Paris to Toulouse with a transfer in Bordeaux. The stop is 14 minutes long, and I will have to get OFF my tgv train, go to the announcement board to check what lane my other train is, and walk to that other train....with 2 heavy suitcases. I would appreciate any tips or things I should know about the bordeaux train station to make this process as efficient and easy as possible.

(in case anyone is suggesting that I change my ticket, no....i can't do that.)

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help!!!!

roundbunny
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:32 AM

You WILL be able to do this. The station (I changed trains there a few weeks ago) is not that large to make it a problem, as long as you can get those bags up and down the steps. Unless the trains are on the same track, you have to go down and then up. There will be enough time if you have your bags ready and are able to bolt pretty fast getting off the TGV. If it were me, I would alert the train controller to your situation and beg him for help...this may or may not work but give it a try. Remember also that, time permitting, once you get to the correct track, you can check the board for a diagramme of your train and the position of the carriages so that you know where to stand.
With 15 minutes I really do not see a problem...I had similar concerns before my trip; I was lugging an immensely heavy bag and had no problems. You may be surprised at the help you get when others see you are having trouble.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:20 AM

I'm going to suggest that you not be carrying two heavy suitcases. Are there two of you? One of you should stay put watching the suitcases while the other runs to check out the departures board.

If you are alone, any chance you don't need both suitcases?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM

I'd ask the conductor on your first train what track he thinks, or hopefully knows, your connecting train will be waiting on. In case you TGV train is a bit late, always possible, having this info could be great in case you don't have time to reconfirm tracks on overhead board.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks to both of you for your advice
ekscrunchy, from your sentence:
"Unless the trains are on the same track, you have to go down and then up. "
Do you mean that there are stairs??? Now I am extremely alarmed... I don't think I can manage my bags up the stairs.

nessundorma, I have 2 bags and I am all by myself... I was here as an exchange student, that's why I have 2 suitcases.

Thanks again for your help!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:58 AM

have you already BOOKED those tickets? The reason I ask is there are several trains a day from Paris to Toulouse which are direct and require no changes in Bordeaux or anywhere else along the way.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Well, it's very likely that there will be stairs, but do talk to the conductor. I transferred once, at another station, with only about 5 minutes to spare. I took one look at the stairs and panicked - then the conductor pointed out to me that if I got off the train using the doors on the opposite side to where I was standing, I would be right where I needed to be. (ie. - get out left side of train, take stairs. Get out right side of train, no stairs!) So, if you're lucky, there may be platform on both sides of the train, and you can avoid the stairs. If you're not, there will be train tracks on the other side, and so the stairs will have to be dealt with.

Yes, do remember that there is a board, once you find the right track, showing you where your car will stop - but if time is short, don't fuss too much. just get on the train!It will be a hassle to drag your bags though various carriages, but at least you'll be on the train.

Now those two suitcases - don't know, maybe someone will be kind enough to help you.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks again to everyone... i am seriously praying for no stairs. siggggh....
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM

It is also possible that the train to Toulouse will arrive on the same track as the train from Paris. But Dukey's question is pertinent, why not a direct train from Paris to Toulouse?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
dealing w/ two big bags solo could be a problem even if there aren't any stairs. If you can't get a direct train, have you looked into shipping some of your things ahead? Won't be cheap though I'd guess.

OR - just take one bag w/ you and wait until you are there to decide which extra things you'll need and have your folks send them to you later . . . .
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM
LJ

Yes, as EKscrunchy said, there are stairs...
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM

There are most definitely stairs and believe me, I was panicky anticipating dragging my ridiculously large suitcase down and then up. And I do not think there are porters, or at least I did not see any..

But that said, as long as the TGV is on time you can still do it..the station is not that large and it is not at all confusing...just make sure to alert the conductor. Or better yet, try to get a train where you do not have to change.

As large and clumsy as my bag was, a woman near me was lugging a heavy bag and a baby in a carriage. She left the baby with me at the bottom of the steps, lugged her bag up and asked someone to wait by it, then came down and got the baby.

I remember that when I was at that station, I was wondering how a traveler with impaired mobility would manage, as there does not appear to be an elevator. How DO they manage at these various stations?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone.

I didn't take a direct train because I bought these tickets in a hurry on the Internet... I just took the first ones that I found online without checking whether or not they were direct so that is my fault....

About the suitcases... I am actually returning home right now (to Canada), so I have no choice but to bring them. I will just do my very best to make my smaller suitcase as light as I can... there are no elevators... nothing?

The train from Bordeaux to Toulouse is just a regional (Corail Intercities), so hopefully if I miss a train I can take the next one (assuming they come regularly).

Thanks again to everyone for your help! I am very very grateful!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM

I would also suggest that you ask at the station if you can change your tickets. Don't know what you bought, but this is often possible. Any train station in France should be able to tell you if this is possible. If so, you need to go to Gare d'Austerlitz to catch the direct Paris-Toulouse train.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM

You can change your tickets; I've done it a few times. Taking the direct train is definitely the way to go.

There ARE stairs. It's NOT pretty. You almost certainly WILL have to change tracks and use those stairs.

The board you'll need to look at to get the track no. for the second train will be right there on the track you get off at, so it's not as though you need to go into the station for that. And 14 minutes is actually way more time than I've had in Bordeaux on many occasions, so you'll likely be just fine. But if you can exchange your tickets for a direct train, I'd opt for that.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM

You seem to have had good advice here.
That said, from my experience, French people are very nice about helping out.
I've run into stair problems at various French train stations. Even with just one suitcase, it's not easy. I remember the last time I was having trouble, a lovely young girl quickly offered to help. And most men would certainly do that. However, from what I've seen of French train stations, forget train travel if you are disabled!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the last 10 or 20 times I made connections at smaller stations, the trains were on adjacent tracks. Changing trains involved crossing the platform.

At larger depots, all bets are off, because there are too many permutations. I don't know which category Bordeaux is in.