Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

14 Hour layover at Heathrow on a Sunday NIGHT

Jun 2nd, 2014, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Hello Everyone!

I am flying from Amsterdam to Chicago and have a 13 hour 50 minute layover in the Heathrow airport. Typically, that is plenty of time to go out and explore the city, but the problem is I arrive at Heathrow at 9:10 PM on Sunday night and the plane is scheduled to depart at 11 AM Monday morning.

Is there anything to do/see/explore on a Sunday night, particularly that late? Or is it best to get a lounge at the airport and shower and rest there? If the latter is the better option, does anyone have any recommendations?

I appreciate your help!
Jun 2nd, 2014, 03:57 AM

Spening the night in the airport is not encouraged.
http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...ons/faqs#sleep

All shops/restaurants/lounges etc close down in the middle of the night and security are not keen on people sleeping on benches (not that you'd get much sleep anyway as the cleaners will be out in force with their noisy floor cleaning machines).

With your timings in mind, you don't really have enough time to do/see much in central London, so an airport hotel is probably your best option in this case. There are loads of threads on here discussing the merits of LHR hotels, so take your pick.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 04:04 AM

Can't you get an early flight from Ams on Monday morning?
Even if it is more expensive it could be cheaper than a night in a Heathrow hotel.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 04:27 AM

priceline or hotwire a hotel.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 04:29 AM

You could go into town, there are always restaurants open late - try Maroush on Edgeware Road. But then you will still have a few hours in the middle of the night to fill before you can check in at LHR.

The airline lounges are not open all night either. I would book a hotel - or change your flight as hetismij said.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 06:24 AM

Re-book your flight(s) -- likely not much more expensive than having to get a LHR hotel - which is really the only other viable option. Unless you simply want to walk the streets of London for several hour in the wee small hours. There are no overnight lounges or anything else at LHR.

I'd either fly into London much earlier and actually see something (you'd still have to pay for a hotel though - just depends on if you want to explore London)

or - fly into LHR arriving around 8AM - meaning you'll need another night's stay in A'dam.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 06:44 AM

See: http://www.sleepinginairports.net/eu...onheathrow.htm

You need a hotel. You could look at the Yotel in addition to the standards, but depending on your terminal it may be no easier to get to. http://www.yotel.com/Hotels/London-Heathrow
Jun 2nd, 2014, 06:48 AM

The problem w/ yotel -- since it charges by the hour, it is great for a few hours quick lay over . . . but for a longer stay/overnight its more expensive than a real/more comfortable property.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 10:47 AM

Yotel, standard "cabin", random Sunday in July, 21:00 to 07:00 - 68 GBP incl. tax, plus, I believe, free transport to/from.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:06 AM

true -- but any of the off airport 4* hotels can be price lined for less than $75 a night - and you even get a window

And if priceline/4* doesn't interest you the Premier Inn Bath Road only charges £49 single - also w/ a window.

Yotel is great -- for short snoozes but not at all cheap for over night. If one is using T-4 Yotel would be VERY convenient. But other properties are more convenient for the other terminals.