14 Days Tuscany and Cinque Terre. Please review our Day Trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately for me there have been a lot of postings on day trips from Siena lately. Here is our plan for late September/October. I know it seems redundant to stay in three areas that are very near, Siena, San Quirico D'Orcia and St. Gimignano but we want to experience different towns at night. I have a few questions mixed in our plan. Basically, are we planning too much? I have my trusty Touring Club 1:200 000 sitting on the dining room table with many highlighted villages. This plan is not set in stone. Er still ove to get lost driving around and exploring. Your expert advice is always appreciated. Also any restaurant suggestions would be great. Thanks to all for getting our stays and hotels planned.

Tuscany & Cinque Terre Itinerary
September/October 2005

To Siena 3 nights - Palazzo Ravizza

Day 1 - Saturday Car
Rental Florence Airport to Siena
All Day Siena

Day 2 - Sunday
All Day Siena

Day 3 - Monday
Tour Chianti Region
Question is it better to tour clockwise or counter clock wise?

To San Quirico d’Orcia 3 nights - Palazzo del Capitano

Day 4 - Tuesday
Siena to San Quirico Via Asciano
Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore (Luggage in car OK?)
Explore San Quirico d’Orcia

Day 5 - Wednesday
Tour Pienza
Montefollonico
Montepulciano
Monticcheillo
Castiglione d’Orcia
Bagna Vignoni

Day 6 - Thursday
Abbadia San Salvatore
Mt Amiata Drive
Abbazia di Sant Antimo
Montalcino
(I’d love to drive more south to Terme di Saturni but think that would be too far, your thoughts?)

To San Gimignano 2 nights - Hotel Cisterna

Day 7 – Friday
San Quirico to San Gimignani via Monteriggioni
Colle di Val D’elsa
Explore San Gimignano

Day 8 - Saturday
I really want to see San Galgano is this trip too much?
San Galgano
Massa Maritttimo
Voterra

To Cinque Terre 3 nights - Porto Rocca Monterosso al Mare

Day 9 – Sunday
Drive to CT Check out Monterrosso al Mare & Restaurants

Day 10 – Monday
Walk the Cinque Terre. Is one way better than the other?
Monterosso walk to Riomaggiore boat back or boat to Riomaggiore walk to Monterosso?

Day 11 - Tuesday
Drive to Rapolla Ferry to Portofino

To Lucca 3 nights – Palazzo Alexander

Day 12 – Wednesday
Drive to Lucca via Carrara
Tour Carrara area (is luggage in car OK?)
Tour Lucca

Day 13 – Thursday
Pisa
Lucca

Day 14 – Friday
Tour Garafagnana Region
Suggested Round Trip Route?

Day 15 – Saturday
Flight Home from Pisa Airport
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 12:34 PM

Siena could be pretty dead on Sunday, and many - perhaps most - shops will be closed. Sometimes Sundays are good days for architecture walks, but I can't imagine that would take all day. Try to do as much as you can in Siena on Saturday when you arrive. Perhaps tour Chianti on Sunday. On Monday morning, many shops will be closed in Siena - but I don't think as many as on Sunday. Since you are staying in Siena, I would do more driving in the countryside on Monday morning - mainly in the area north of Siena. Maybe visit a few Medici villas close to Florence (or visit them on the Chianti loop). If you don't want to get too close to Florence to visit the Villas (traffic congestions), you might consider a drive in the area around Poppi - east of Florence. The road northwest from Poppi through Stia and the N558 is quite scenic. Consult the green Michelin guide for more things to see in this area. Then back to Siena at 3:00 Monday afternoon to continue your exploration of this fascinating city.

I think day 4 is a little light. San Quirico is quite small and there are no big sites to visit. IMO, SQ is more enjoyable during the early mornings when the locals gather for chit-chat at the Bar Centrale, and again in the evening when they do the same. Stores stay open late. Once, I had to dash down to the hardware store in SQ to buy a truffle slicer at 7:30 at night.

I just posted some suggested driving tours in the southern Tuscany area. I assume you will take my 1 day tour of the Val d'Orcia - don't miss it. Also consider a drive down to Pitigliano, and some of the other villages in that area.

You won't want to leave.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 12:45 PM

Wow--you have been paying attention. I cannot fault your strategy for all 3 locations if you are willing to change hotels that often---I have been guilty of that when I was younger. I do not think you should try to see San Galgano from San Gim.--too far. I would see it enroute to San Gim. and see Monteriggioni as you drive south to Siena--very easy access from the superstrada. You will indeed experience Tuscany with this itinerary. I wish I was going.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 12:50 PM

Hello e4asygoer, I was going to give you a suggestion for a very beautiful and restful area and than saw that Stu Dudley already has! I too love the area he has suggested (Poppi etc.). There is another small town named Raggello (southeast of Florence) where some friends have a vacation home that I have been blessed to stay in and consequently have been all through that area. I hope you can visit there, I am sure you would enjoy it. Wishing you a beautiful trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

I love the suggestions. Silly me, the most obvious was to not be in Siena on Sunday. I will switch Day 2 with 3. I also thought it best to go directly to the hotel in San Quirico on Day 4 and do a driving loop. I forgot to mention we have already done Florence. How far from Siena is it to the Poppi area? Maybe will take Stu's advise and go on Monday. Stu could we fit driving down to Pitigliano on day 6 out of San Quirico?

I also looked closer at my map and will take Bob's advise and go to San Galgano on the way to San Giminano. Bob you've been so helpful on planning this trip from the begining.

Here is what I've changed so far....

Day 1 - Saturday Car
Rental Florence Airport to Siena Direct
All Day Siena (Nap)

Day 2 – Sunday (Changed)
Tour Chianti Region
Question is it better to tour clockwise or counter clock wise?
add Monteriggioni

Day 3 - Monday (Changed)
All Day Siena or maybe a day trip East of Florence Poppi area AM. How far is this trip?

Day 4 - Tuesday (Changed)
Siena to San Quirico Direct to Hotel Drop off luggage
Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore
Asciano then south
Palolano Terme
Serre de Rapolano
Trequanda
Montise
Castelmuzi
Petroio
Dirt Road back to San Quirico

Day 7 – Friday (Changed)
San Quirico to San Gimignani via
San Galgano
Colle di Val D’elsa
Explore San Gimignano

Day 8 - Saturday Question Day?
Voterra Should we add any other village?

Thanks to all. Only 32 days 5 hours and 32 minutes per our countdown clock (a must for all travelers) left and counting.

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
ira

Hey Stu,

>Once, I had to dash down to the hardware store in SQ to buy a truffle slicer at 7:30 at night.<

You travel without a truffle slicer?

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:51 PM

>>How far from Siena is it to the Poppi area?<<<
Your Touring Club Italiano map has distances marked. We visted the Poppi area from San Quirico & it was not a hectic day. Visit Gargonza on the way there - it's just west of Monte San Savino.

>>Stu could we fit driving down to Pitigliano on day 6 out of San Quirico?<<

Perhaps have dinner in Montalcino one night while staying in San Quirico. Explore Montalcino before dinner. That would free up time on day 6.

Stu Dudley