Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

14 days in Spain in May with a toddler and five year old!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites

You have always given the best advice on prior trips ...so seeking your guidance yet again!

I have booked a round trip flight to Madrid from NY in mid May. I will be traveling with hubby and two daughters (2 and 5 years old). Hubby and I have been to Spain before but without the kids. My girls have traveled extensively with us (event the 2 year old) and we would really like to do a road trip focused on the southern parts of Spain. Also, is it even possible to squeeze in Portugal as part of this trip?

My dream itinerary would be as follows:
Madrid - Salamanca - Porto - Lisbon - Faro - Seville - Ronda - Granada - Cordoba - Toledo - Madrid !!

I am sure you will agree that is a bit far fetched for 2 weeks with kids in tow. What cities should I really focus on? Our kids do well in the car...and a driving stretch of upto 4 hrs every other day should be fine. Also,we love outdoorsy stuff like hiking and beaches etc.

Thanks in advance!
solitaire
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 12:12 PM

It's doable, but I would skip Faro and head to Sevilla via Beja in the Alentejo, spending the night in the Pousada Convento Beja.

You might consider dropping the car off in Toledo and taking the train to Madrid.

Your longest drives would be Salamanca to Porto, Porto to Lisbon, Beja to Sevilla and Córdoba to Toledo, depending on the route you select. The most boring would be Toledo to Madrid.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 01:11 PM

I personally do not consider it doable. I never understand why people try to cram in so much in so little time. I think 11 different cities is crazy for a 2-week trip, especially if you want time for hiking and beaches. You'll spend a lot of time travelling and will barely scratch the surface of any of the places you visit. It obviously does depend on what type of traveller you are. I loathe only getting a superficial view of a place - I would almost rather not bother at all.

I would only go for a max of 5 of those places. I'd either choose a city/beach break and do Madrid - Salamanca - Porto - Lisbon - somewhere with nice beaches in the south of Portugal (I don't really like Faro myself) - Madrid, or head south for a more city/mountain scenery/hiking thing and do Madrid - Toledo - Granada - Sierra Nevada - Seville/Cordoba (possibly both if you can't bear to miss one out) - Madrid.

A consideration would be how much time to spend in Madrid itself. I would be very tempted to skip it altogether and drive right out to have a few more days in each of the other places, but I'm sure plenty of people would disagree.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 02:05 PM

Yes, you dream trip is lovely but impractible. I would cut out Salamanca and Portugal. Take the train to Seville and when finished visiting it, pick up the car and go to Jerez, Cadiz, Puerto de Sta. Maria, and the beaches along the Costa de la Luz - Bolonia, Canos de Meca, etc. From there go to Ronda for your hiking, Cordoba, and Granada. You could drop the car there and take the train to Madrid and then Toledo or drive to Toledo and drop the car there. Hey, you'll have great fun no matter where you go. Just don't push yourselves too hard. Kids roll with the punches, but you may not !
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 02:19 PM

Robert and Clementine?

Did either of you read the original post? She doesn't think the trip is doable. She is asking for help as to where to focus. If you are not going to read the post, and then just jump in screaming you don't understand the way other people travel -- well, I'm sure the OP appreciates all thoughts.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 02:19 PM

"we would really like to do a road trip" It's a road trip people... Being impractible or rushed is not the point!
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM

Yes, I did read it, sandralist, and the OP stated that it was a 'bit far-fetched', rather than 'completely unrealistic'. I imagine she was thinking more along the lines of 'cut a few cities out of the list' rather than 'keep a few cities in'! Robert stated that OP's dream itinerary was doable, and I disagreed, and I provided two different sample itineraries. I said I would do no more than 5 cities, and even that, in my opinion, is a stretch. Maybe you should read more carefully, or even provide your own opinion instead of criticizing posters who have taken the time to help.

And BTW, I did not go in 'screaming'. I read itineraries here all the time which I consider completely unrealistic, yet plenty of people approve of them. I have no idea how anyone can appreciate and get the most from a country when zipping all over it and spending a few hours here and there, but that's just my opinion. I totally understand the temptation to cram in as much as possible, especially if it's a trip of a lifetime and you may never return to the country, but I've always regretted choosing quantity over quality. It's just an opinion.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 04:10 PM

IMHO way to much for so little time (and how many nights do you actually have on the ground?) especially with 2 little ones. I would focus on Madrid/Toledo and the wondrous sights of Andalusia - and let Portugal go for another trip.

Remember you will be getting into hot/very hot weather in the south and may have limited ability to do things in the afternoons. (We have been to Andalusia twice in April and the temps were already in the high 80s except right at the beach - so you may well be into the 90s)
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback! sandralist is right in that I am very aware of the impracticality of my dream itinerary given time and kiddos. And I am really glad to have fellow Fodorites bringing me back to earth! ClementineLdn - you are right in that quality time in a select few destinations trumps cramping many cities in one trip. So thank you for culling my list.

It seems like we would be better off focusing on either Southern Spain or Portugal but not both. Bedar and ClementineLdn - I like both your suggestions for Southern Spain. However, nytraveler brings up a good point regarding temps in mid May. Should we even visit these parts then?

Thanks again for helping me plan this out!
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 06:41 PM

Yes, you should visit them then. IF, and I say IF, it's very hot then, you learn to go out in the early morning and evening. Between those times you relax at the pool or in your AC hotel. Last June it was not hot. I've wondered for years how nytraveler can stand the heat of NYC in summer, and I'm from NY so know about that heat. People sure are strange.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 01:02 AM

May is serious festival time in Andalucía (especially Córdoba and Jerez) and Madrid, so you might take that into consideration. Perhaps the best time of year to go to Andalucía, full spring blossom and the summer heat is still some weeks away.

All these festivals are primarily local events and offers an excellent opportunity to get under the skin of things and experience the local, food, wine, music, dance and festive culture.

In May, all Andalucian towns - but especially Granada and Córdoba - celebrate the "Cruces de Mayo": http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/spani...es-de-mayo.htm

Córdoba in May is something special, the "cruces" celebration is followed by the patio competition leading on to the flamenco inspired Feria by the end of the month.

Córdoba patio exposition and competition: http://www.andalucia.com/cities/cordoba/patios.htm

The Feria in late May: http://www.andalucia.com/festival/co...pring-fair.htm

In Jerez, you have the horse fair Feria de Caballo de Jerez: http://www.andalucia.com/festival/jerez-horse-fair.htm

May is also the month of the San Isidro festival in Madrid, the huge celebration of the city's patron saint: http://www.madrid-guide-spain.com/san-isidro.html

<Remember you will be getting into hot/very hot weather in the South>

Should normally be a minor problem in May. Weather statistics for mid May for inland Andalucia says average highs at 78-84F. http://www.wetteronline.de/klima-temperatur/granada
http://www.wetteronline.de/klima-temperatur/sevilla
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 02:55 AM

Regarding the weather, it really depends on the year. When I lived in Granada back in 2005/6, it was already extremely hot in May, but when I went back in May 2011, it was quite cold and rained the whole time. I always found Seville much hotter than Granada, regardless of the time of year. I agree with Bedar in that it's sensible to adapt to local customs in the summer months - get up early, do lots in the morning, then have a big lunch followed by a siesta or relaxing, then head back out at 5 or 6pm when it will be cooling down a lot. I personally would probably choose to focus on Andalucia (with the natural short trip to Toledo since it's on the way) with possibly a few days in Madrid at the beginning or end.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

You guys are awesome!! I am getting really excited about this trip now! Thank you kimhe for highlighting some of the local customs and festivals in May. My family would totally enjoy them.

And I should be be the last person complaining about the heat. I grew up in India and now live close to NYC. So we can definitely adapt as needed. I am going to mull over these suggestions for a bit and re-draw my itinerary and come back to this group for review. Thank you so much for helping me find a focus for my trip!
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 12:27 PM

Two words: hub, spoke.

Get yourself a hub or two, take day trips to the extent the hobbits can handle them. That means Madrid, which gives access to Toledo and/or Segovia as day trips; Seville, which is the hub for much of Andalucia, etc. Minimizes unpacking, which helps the kids feel better 'coz they don't like continually going to unfamiliar places.

I'd drop Portugal. Its economy is so stagnant that all the Baltics and both Czechoslovak nations have surpassed it. The P and G of the Eurozone PIIGS are the worst of the bunch. And it's a trek from most of your Spanish interests to Porto/Lisbon, et al. Trekking is NOT what you want with the miniatures in tow.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BigRuss. Your idea makes sense and that's exactly how was starting to plan the trip. Will keep you posted!