Thank you in advance for what I know will be expert advice and sp appreciated! I love and rely on this forum for 'in the know' advice - thank you.
After a large amount of reading, below is the itinerary I have come up with for 4 active adults and the types of experiences we are looking forward to.....suggestions and revisions are welcome if I am missing or undercalculating any time spent in a place.
We love getting to know a place like a local, getting off the beaten path, hitting the highpoints of sightseeing, incorporating outdoor and adventure travel and we are very interested in the culinary culture of a place.
Trip = right around the corner! April 3rd - 17th, 2013
(4th) 8:30 am arrive lisbon. Immediate xfer to Ritz-Carlton Penha Longa (business trip). Explore resort, possible golf/spa and see town of Sintra.
(5th) Explore Caiscais, Estoril, Guincho....bike between Caiscais and Guincho
(6th) 1/2 day morning tour in Lisbon with "We Hate Tourism Travel" or possibly a Sidecar tour....thoughts on these? Back to Sintra for Pena Palace and Quinta de Regaliera in afternoon
(7th) Checkout and head to Lisbon for the afternoon...museums in the afternoon (possibilities include Coach, Maritme, Gulbenkian, Oceanarium)
(8th) More Lisbon exploring (possibly by E-bike?). Belem, Alfama, Dinner and Fado club at night
(9th) Early A.M. bike tour with PortugalBike (?) in Sesimbra and through Arrabida Park. Back to Lisbon to pick up car rental (unless we can pick up in Setubal?), head to Evora/Arraiolos/Estremoz area....still need to decide which one to base out of in a Pousada.
(10th) Explore Evora and surrounding cities. Incorporate biking and the Rota do Vinhos
(11th) More of the same......Visit Elvas and Marvao
(12th) Hike, bike, explore the Schist Villages and Lousa mountains. Stay here or drive to Lamego to overnight?
(13th) Explore the sanctuary of nossa senhora dos remédios in Lamego. Head to Porto and do wine lodges for lunch and afternoon. Stay in Porto.
(14th) Train ride into Douro Valley and boat ride back....which cruise line is best?
(15th) Guimaraes and Braga or head south via Aveiro and Coimbra towards Nazare?
(16th) Nazare and Obidos and Alcobaca. Hang glide in Nazare. Stay overnight here or in Lisbon?
(17th) 10:30 am flight back to the US
What do you think?? This country looks so amazing - I already know I will be back and I haven't even gotten there yet!
I have left off the Algarve for now (mistake?)
Thank you so much in advance for your expert guidance. I plan to repay the favor!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 VERIZON MAIL Password Resets Contact Now 1~800~570:1233 Tec*h care.
- 2 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 3 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 4 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 5 CACHOPO, CABRALES & CARBAYONES Asturias..and "The Best Steak in The World"
- 6 My France Vacation
- 7 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 8 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 9 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 10 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 11 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 12 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 13 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 14 Best Greek Island
- 15 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 16 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 17 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 18 Scooter/quad/bike rental on Greek Islands
- 19 Malaga Christmas lights
- 20 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 21 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 22 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 23 Mediterranean princess cruise
- 24 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 25 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help