Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   14 Day Italy Honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/14-day-italy-honeymoon-862482/)

burnma01 Oct 9th, 2010 02:57 PM

14 Day Italy Honeymoon

My wife and I are thrilled to be going on our honeymoon in Italy. Our trip will be in late May/early June 2011. To provide a little background, we will both be 30 years old at the time of the honeymoon. We currently live in New York City and neither of us has ever been to Italy. This is our first trip. We enjoy cities so plan on visiting Rome and Florence. However, we also like getting away from it all in the country. Some places we defintely want to visit are:

1.) Rome
2.) Florence
3.) Portofino (Cinque Terre)

I think we have a pretty good idea of the things we want to do in the areas noted above. However, I do not have much information about areas in between those destinations. Can anyone please let me know some great small towns in the country that would be fun to stop in for a night. We are looking for some small towns in between Rome and Florence. Then in between Florence and Portofino. We are looking for towns to get a true Italy experience.

Thanks in advance for your help. Also, if anyone has any advice about our first trip to Italy feel free to comment. Thanks!

marilee12 Oct 9th, 2010 03:20 PM

I am unsure if you have picked accomodations yet, but we loved ANTICA TORRE TONABUONI in florence Walking distance from the train and into town Wonderful air conditioning - large king size beds. Great recommendations for dinner from the receptionist. We left florence on our way to rome and we loved staying at Villa Di Piazzano near cortona (famous for the movie) and were able to drive to many small villages from there. The owner was a chef and taught me a private cooking class which was great fun. My husband and myself ate my cooking class for dinner. I can't tell you all the little towns we went to as we got lost quite a few times as the signs are often not there or directions were inaccurate. When you go to Rome I would suggest using Claudio Caponera (cell – 3491014697 -Email is [email protected] and www.limoinrome.com). I used him when we went and he made Rome come alive. Our kids went to italy later and also used him and this was a highlight of their trip. Sorry, not much about small villages, but have fun!

burnma01 Oct 9th, 2010 03:42 PM

This is great information. So driving in Italy isnt too bad? We were thinking of taking trains but I would rather drive if it makes sense. The hotels you provided look great.

Lexma90 Oct 9th, 2010 03:50 PM

If your trip is focused on Rome, Florence and Portofino & the Cinque Terre, then you really don't need a car. A rental car is good if you plan to, for example, visit various small towns in Tuscany or Umbria. Even in Portofino/Cinque Terre, having a car would be more of a hindrance, as you wouldn't be driving very much and you'd be continually worrying about parking.

If you did want the flexibility of a rental car, then start your trip in Rome, then take the train to Florence for your time there. Then, on leaving Florence, pick up the rental car for the Portofino/Cinque Terre part of the trip.

burnma01 Oct 9th, 2010 04:02 PM

Ok. So after our visit to Rome, we will probably visit Tuscany for a couple days. I seems like a car would make sense for that part of the trip. After leaving Tuscany, we can just take trains. If that is easier it is probably what we will do.

bookchick Oct 9th, 2010 04:15 PM

Burnma01, do you have a set budget for hotels?

BC

burnma01 Oct 9th, 2010 04:18 PM

No budget. 4 star or 5 star hotel/resorts are what we are looking for. Any good suggestions?

bookchick Oct 9th, 2010 04:52 PM

In Florence, I would recommend The Pierre:
http://www.hotel-pierre-florence.com/en

In Rome, I would recommend The San Carlo:
http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/

Although The San Carlo is listed as a 3-star, I'd put them up against any 4 or 5 star I've ever stayed in.

No recs for Portofino, sorry!
Be sure to let the places you book into know that you're on your honeymoon. They'll likely give you champagne or some kind of extra "perks".

Buon Viaggio,
BC

ellenem Oct 9th, 2010 04:56 PM

"4 star or 5 star hotel/resorts are what we are looking for"

In Italy, star rating has to do with amenities rather than quality. If a hotel has a restaurant and a meeting room, it will get more stars than a hotel that does not have these features, even if the paint is peeling and the lobby is shabby.

It would be better for you to state an actual price range for us to provide the best guidance regarding hotels.

burnma01 Oct 9th, 2010 06:31 PM

Great. Thanks BC.

ellenem..i would say $350-$550 per night is the range we are looking for. Of course, if we can get the same quality at a lower price, that works too.

Dayle Oct 10th, 2010 07:26 AM

burnma,

Congratulations and happy planning for the wedding and the honeymoon! You don't say how much time you have for your trip - makes a big difference.....

jamikins Oct 10th, 2010 08:14 AM

Dayle the title says 14 days :)

Mimar Oct 10th, 2010 09:59 AM

You don't seem interested in Venice, the most romantic of cities. (Look up JillDavis' recent trip report.)

You could fly into Venice and out of Rome. Open jaws flights cost about the same and avoid backtracking, saving time and money. If you persist in skipping Venice, you could fly in or out of Pisa for Florence or the Cinque Terre.

Stick to trains in between cities. Cars are awkward in the cities: parking is difficult and expensive, traffic is thick, and ZTLs (locals only zones) abound (as do the resulting traffic tickets).

There is no coastal road between the Cinque Terre towns. You can walk, take the bus or the train. Portofino is overpriced, IMHO even for a honeymoon. Look into staying in Santa Margherita Ligure, just north of the CT. From there you can walk to Portofino and take the train to the CT.

For hotels check www.tripadvisor.com.

Amanda_MeganAlberts Oct 10th, 2010 10:12 AM

Hi, My husband and I went to Italy for our honeymoon. We were there for about 2 weeks. I would say that my two favorite places in Italy were lake como (varenna) and Cinque Terre. We almost took lake como off, but I'm glad we decided to keep it! It's absolutely gorgeous, I highly recommend that you add that to your list! In Cinque terre we had the best food ever, and did a lot of hiking between all of the different cities.

In rome, we had the best gelatto that I've ever had at Gelateria dei Gracchi 272 Via dei Gracchi, 39-06/321-6668; gelato for two $6.

I went there 2 times a day!

lindy27 Oct 10th, 2010 10:16 AM

We stayed in the Cinque Terre in Vernazza at La Mala for our honeymoon last year http://www.lamala.it/en/index.html

Vernazza was a great town and that B&B/hotel is one of, or the best, in Vernazza and well within your budget.

The only place on your list you would need a car is Tuscany. You could do Rome, train to Florence, train to Cinque Terre, and then pick up a car near Cinque Terre and do Tuscany dropping the car off in the Rome airport.