14 day Ireland - Suggestions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are making our first trip to Ireland. We will fly in Shannon on May 11 and fly out of Shannon on May 25. Tentative itinerary is to spend the first day in Bunratty, drive down to Killarney for days 2, 3 and 4, head to Kilkenney for days 5 & 6, to Dublin for days 7, 8 & 9, across to Galway for days 10 & 11 and down to Ennis for days 12 and 13 and fly out on day 14. This schedule will in part allow us to go to the final day of a horse racing festival in Killarney on day 2 and to attend the final 2 days of the Fleadh Nua festival in Ennis. Can we adequately see the Cliffs of Moher, ROK, Burren, Aran Islands, Rock of Cashel (on our way to Kilkenney), Newgrange, and sights of Dublin without being too rushed? All suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Correction, we arrive in Shannon on the 12th (leave Michigan on the 11th).
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 11:32 AM

It's a reasonably good plan, though if you want to save some time, I'd cut out Dublin this trip, and concentrate more on the west. Alternatively, fly into Dublin and out of Shannon in an open jaw ticket - that saves you crisscrossing the country. Of course, that would mean you couldn't attend the Fleadh Nua. I would say you could see all the sights you wish to see, though the Aran Islands will take most of a day. Do you plan on visiting them from Rossveal, or Doolin? (I recommend Rossaveal on one of your Galway days).

I did many of the same places on my third trip - report is here if you wish to see. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...eland-2006.cfm

Will you be renting a car?
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 01:00 PM

You can get a bit lower than Bunratty for day one. Maybe Adare or Listowel (great Heritage town). Do the Dingle loop over Connor Pass and the Slea Head drive before Killarney. Maybe a day for Co. Cork I generally say Cobh or Blarney (great outside tour bus hours) over Kinsale which might be a bit overrated? Kilkenny then 2 days/nights for Dublin? Night around Birr see Clonmacnoise and Birr castle. Then Galway for the Arans (Inis Mor) and Connemara. Ending in Ennis and the Fledh, make sure you have rooms booked early, prices creep up as availability reduces. see you there perhaps.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Great trip report GreenDragon. It will keep my wife busy all weekend going through it We do have a car. I noted in your report that Bunratty Folk Village reminded you of Greenfield village. We live 15 miles away from Greenfield Village and have been there a number of times. Is the similarity enough that we should consider skipping that stop in favor of something else?
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Tony, thank you for the tip on booking in Ennis. We are considering cutting Dublin to two days and either adding a day to Galway to drive around Connemara or a day in Cork. Not sure which. We planned on a full day for the Aran Islands and were planning on leaving from Rossaveal. Which Island would you recommend? Could we stop at Inishmore to see Dún Aonghasa and still have time in one day to visit one of the smaller Islands?
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 08:13 AM

Inis Mor should be done from west of Galway either boat or plane. Inis Oirr with the Cliffs of Moher mini Cruise is a thing we do with visitors, could easily be a daytrip from your Ennis base. but also consider Loop Head peninsula or getting off piste nip over here to East Clare/Galway and the Lough Derg area.
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Tony, thank you for the recommendations.