14 DAY Christmas New Years Trip - Need Warmer 3rd Stop

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - any help will be appreciated. Family making first trip to Europe. Have decided to fly into London on 20th of Dec and departing Christmas Day by rental car to Paris. Will spend 4/5 days before moving on to a 3rd destination. While we would eventually love to visit Amsterdam, Belgium & Germany we were looking for a slightly warmer climate rather than colder climate for the last few days of our trip.

More Big City type of family and were looking at Barcelona, however, have no experience or knowledge. Please advise and thanks.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM

What do you mean by warmer versus colder?

There isn;t anyplace in europe that's hot in the winter. Southern Spain is probably warmest - but that may mean a high about in the 50's. Madrid has a real winter - and I'm not at all sure Barcelona would be much warmer.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM

morocco. not europe, but not far. and warm.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM

There was snow all along the Mediterranean coast this year during the Christmas holidays (including Barcelona I believe). However, you might want to see this:

http://www.venere.com/blog/christmas-in-barcelona/

One thing to remember is that warm, sunny climates seldom offer you good heat should it get cold in winter. They just aren't built that way.

Sometimes it is the smarter move to go to Switzlerand or Vienna. At least you know you are going to get plenty of heat and hot chocolate and high fat food to keep you warm! And these places are often dry, not wet cold, which I find easier to take.

Also be aware that intra-european flying in the darkest days of winter and over holidays can make for flight delays due to bad weather and waiting inside crowded, unpleasant cheap air terminals.

Do you mind my asking: What is your plan to have a rental car in London and Paris? It almost sounds like you are renting the car in England. Are you prepared to drive on the "wrong" side of the road in winter? Why are you driving to Paris? There is a high-speed train. Or have I misunderstood you?
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM

I agree with jubilada about Morocco. I would add Tunisia, Dubai, Canaries. Or how about Florida?
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>><i> . . . departing Christmas Day by rental car to Paris. </i><<

You have found a company that allows this??? And even if it was possible, you'd end up w/ a right-hand drive UK car in left-hand drive France. Plus what would you do w/ the car in Paris? And even EVEN if it was possible-- would you want to be driving through snow/sleet/winter storms? Now, storms aren't definite, but they sure are a possibility. AND even EVEN <B>EVEN</B> if this was possible, where would you pick up a rental car on Boxing Day or Christmas Day?

As the others say -- winter in Europe is . . wintery. If you want warm, you need Morocco or maybe the southern hemisphere, not Europe.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Oh - meant to add, the train to Paris also won't work since the Eurostar doesn't operate on Christmas. Flying is a possibility - but there is no public transport except for a replacement coach from outside Paddington Station to LHR.

If you want to be in Paris on Dec 25, you should definitely fly or take the train on the 24th.
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:19 AM

oh-oh. Here comes the Travel Nanny. YOU made a mistake. YOU didn't know as much, silly first-timer. Now stick out your hand to get it smacked with a ruler. And no back-talk when she tells you she's only here to help.

Anyway, many British and northern Europeans do go to southern Spain between Christmas and New Year's, and they don't go for the yule logs. They go because while still cold, it is generally warmer, even if not African. Andalucia is a marginally better bet than Barcelona. You might find it helpful to read this:

http://gospain.about.com/od/spanishf...stmasspain.htm
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:32 AM

And this might help too:

http://www.campervanlife.com/locatio...nter-in-europe

But personally I think you would be better off not trying to cover a lot of geography, since winter weather make for many transportation delays. If you haven't already bought your tickets, think which culture and climate you would most like to experience and plan your trip centered around that.
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:37 AM

No guarnatee of nice weather, but what about Portugal?

Is there a reason for the car? I'm not sure where you are from, but being from N America myself I wouldnt want to drive a British car in a country where they drive on the right side of road because the drivers side would be on the 'wrong' side for me. Also, between London and Paris the Eurostar is much much quicker and easier. Also look into drop off fees when dropping a car off in another country as they are usually prohibitive.

Trains are much easier in Europe, especially between cities.

If the Eurostar doesnt operate on xmas day it may be worth leaving London on 26 dec instead. public transit is almost all not in operation on 25 dec in London so getting to and from airports you will need a taxi service pre-arranged which may be costly on that day as its really the only option for everyone. You can spend a nice day in London walking around as central London will be fairly empty. London Walks www.walks.com does a couple xmas day walks as well.
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Madeira is Portuguese, right? It should be warm.

Even though Janis is harsh, she's right -- a rental from the UK would mean you're driving a right-side driver-seat car on the right side of the road in France. It's a bit unnatural, I would guess, based upon my own adjustment to driving on the left side of the road in Australia and Scotland -- it didn't feel weird precisely because of the driver seat position. By contrast, in the USVI they drive on the left side (Brit style) in vehicles with American/European driver side (left) and that's a bit off.

The UK and the Commonwealth countries generally shut down about as completely as possible on Xmas and are at lower-than-Sunday levels of activity on Boxing Day. You're better off in Paris before then.

Driving in Paris sucks. The Parisians drive like New Yorkers with 'roid rage and the streets are generally narrow and not set out in a Manhattan-esque grid. If this is your first time to Europe, don't drive there.
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM

I wasn't 'harsh' or a 'nanny' - I spelled out the reasons they most likely can't drive a rental car from London to Paris on Christmas Day - and why getting there by any mode will be difficult

• No place to pick up a car
• 'wrong' side of the car/'wrong' side of the road
• Winter driving conditions
• no trains
• no public transport

so -- if they want to be in Paris on December 25 - they will want to go there by the 24th. The OP possibly didn't know all/some of those issues - most people wouldn't unless they have first hand knowledge. So describing the problems is harsh?

The plan is not practical . . . and yes, zeppy darling -- I WAS trying to help . . . .