13th Birthday in Venice

Search

13th Birthday in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13th Birthday in Venice

Hello! This is my first post here on Fodor's!

We are planning a trip to Italy to rent a villa in Tuscany to celebrate my mom's 70th birthday, and are tacking a few days in Rome on the front end of the trip and a few days in Venice on the back end. As the itinerary is working out, we will be traveling from Florence to Venice on the day in early July on which my older daughter turns 13. Does anyone have any suggestions for making this a special day, even though it's a travel day? (I remember being a similar age and seeing Venice for the first time--that's pretty special in itself!)

I'd love recommendations for somewhere to eat that is nice for her special day, but not too fancy or over-the-top. We will either be a party of 5--my mom, my husband, my daughter, and our other daughter, age 8. Or, we will be a party of 8, adding my sister and her two sons, age 12 and 9.

Thanks for any advice.

Stacey
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:38 AM

A gondola ride with the gondoleeer singing Happy Birthday in Italian could be sweet!
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 12:19 PM

I hope someone can chime in with restaurant recommendations. I spent my 15th birthday in Venice many moons ago and my parents treated us to a gondola ride - a memory I will never forget.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 03:25 PM

Where are you staying? You probably want to eat somewhere not too far from your hotel with a group.

The gondola is a great idea. They hold 6, so if your group is bigger, you need to get two.

You could consider, instead of the regular gondola ride, to take it from your hotel to dinner, as transportation. It will cost more, but it is pretty cool.

Also would help to know what your kid likes to eat.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 03:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Does it have to be fancy? One of my favorite meals was just pizza at an outdoor cafe by the side of a canals.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 03:44 PM

Burano - yummy food
A gondola ride would be great, but for a 13-year-old I think a boa ride out to Burano and dinner here would be every bit as memorable, andless expensive
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 03:49 PM

A gondola ride would be great, but if it were my 13-year-old I'd probably opt for a boat ride out to Burano and dinner here:

Burano - yum!
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
Where are you staying? You probably want to eat somewhere not too far from your hotel with a group.

The gondola is a great idea. They hold 6, so if your group is bigger, you need to get two.

You could consider, instead of the regular gondola ride, to take it from your hotel to dinner, as transportation. It will cost more, but it is pretty cool.

Also would help to know what your kid likes to eat.
I love the idea of the gondola ride. I'm not sure where we are staying yet, though. My daughter likes pizza, pasta, and standard fare--she's not picky, but she's not super-adventurous either. Plus, she's got a wicked sweet tooth.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:00 AM

If she likes pizza, maybe you could all go to OKE on the Zattere. They have good pizza (pasta and salads and other stuff too) and a big dining area out on the Giudecca canal. A lot of locals go there for celebrations and get togethers.

Pizzeria OKE - Venezia -

You can't take a gondola right there, but you could do it before and then take the vaporetto or walk the rest of the way.