Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   13 Nights in Croatia in September. Any Huge Misses in this Itinerary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/13-nights-in-croatia-in-september-any-huge-misses-in-this-itinerary-1685296/)

MinnBeef Jul 31st, 2020 05:39 PM

13 Nights in Croatia in September. Any Huge Misses in this Itinerary?

Hi all. After two cancellations of my planned trip through Eastern Europe this year, (Prague, Budapest, Bosnia and Herzegovina and finally Croatia), I am taking Croatia up on its openness to hosting Americans and have made flight arrangements for 13 nights in September. My COVID test is booked for the day before so that I travel responsibly, both for the safety of those I meet on my trip as well as myself. This is my planned itinerary, which can easily be changed if I do decide:

3 nights Dubrovnik (includes my arrival day when I’m jet lagged, so two useable days)
2 nights Korcula
2 nights Hvar
3 nights Split
1 night Plitvice Lakes (staying at Miric Inn per reco of Karen Woo’s trip report)
2 nights Zagreb

Aside from the obvious sites to see like the Dubrovnik walls, Diocletian’s Palace and Plitvice National Park, my plans include one or two winery tours, one or two beach days and perhaps a day of sailing off the coast if I can find a provider operating in a safe environment.

The one area I know I’m missing is Istria and Rovinj in particular. Travel times to get there look quite long per Rome2Rio and so I’m thinking it might just be one of those places that I’ll only ever see through photos.

What are your thoughts on the above agenda and do you see either any big misses or other sites or experiences I need to be sure to include in the above?

Grazie and thank you.

MB

rialtogrl Aug 1st, 2020 04:34 AM

I think it looks good, the only tweak I might make is to spend two nights in Plitvice, knocking one off Split. You can leave Split in the afternoon, have a leisurely drive, relax in accommodation and have the following whole day to visit the park... the good thing about stopping off in two islands, you can do shorter catamaran hops, right now you should wear masks at all times (though not everyone is) and though you have a longish journey from Dubrovnik to Korcula, you have only one hour between Korcula and Hvar, and one hour between Hvar and Split. It is a good time to come to Croatia, to visit Dubrovnik and Split without the crowds is very nice. I have found that these days a lot of wine tours are not operating, there are not enough people.. but if you want to find a private tour, you will be welcomed with open arms for sure. Sailboat tours are running in Hvar on a reduced schedule but are not very crowded. Not sure about Korcula, but will be there in a few days and can scope it out. I love the Plitvice Miric inn, I am happy you booked to stay there. Such lovely people and you will love the dinner! Not sure when in September you are traveling but I find mid to end September the best time to visit the park.

Since you like wine, I would definitely put D Vino Wine bar in Dubrovnik on your list. They do a wine tour to the Peljesac peninsula, though I am not sure what they are doing right now. I would be happy to ask them and will be in Dubrovnik August 11 so I will see then and will try to remember to post here. If you want to do Airbnb in Zagreb, I know a really great one and also have my favorite apartments in Hvar, though its in a residential area 15 minutes walking to the main harbor. (which is why I love it.) And do not worry, Istria will be there for the next time, you can combine it with Slovenia and Hungary :)

rialtogrl Aug 1st, 2020 04:40 AM

I just thought of one different option, to combine wine touring with your journey to Korcula. Instead of taking the Krilo catamaran which leaves late in the day, get a driver to take you from Dubrovnik to Orebic at the top of the Peljesac peninsula. You can visit a couple of wineries, eat some lunch, then in Orebic they have some boat shuttles to Korcula. This would require a bit more planning and certainly would cost more because of the driver, but its something to consider.

tcamilleri0090 Aug 1st, 2020 06:30 PM

A couple of hour drive from Dubrovnik is Kotor in Montenegro (entry permitted ) its a drive worthwhile .

neckervd Aug 2nd, 2020 02:01 AM

If you wnt to drive into Montenegro (actually some 3000 active covid19 cases per million inhabitants), reach Kotor via Cetinije (visit!) and the Lovcen Pass (spectacular views to the Bocche di Cattaro).
A more easy solution would be the visit of the Krka Falls Park and nearby Sibenik.

MinnBeef Aug 2nd, 2020 12:40 PM

Rialtogrl: Wow, grazie mille for all of your thoughtful recommendations! I will give serious thought to spending 2 nights in Plitvice. Definitely will hit D Vino in Dubrovnik. While COVID has out a real damper on all of our travels, I am thinking that one bright spot for me will be much less crowds
than normal in Dubrovnik and Split.

MinnBeef Aug 2nd, 2020 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by tcamilleri0090 (Post 17138588)
A couple of hour drive from Dubrovnik is Kotor in Montenegro (entry permitted ) its a drive worthwhile .

Thank you. I would love to squeeze a visit to Montenegro in. Unfortunately, we Americans aren’t allowed in right now.

MinnBeef Aug 2nd, 2020 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by neckervd (Post 17138687)
If you wnt to drive into Montenegro (actually some 3000 active covid19 cases per million inhabitants), reach Kotor via Cetinije (visit!) and the Lovcen Pass (spectacular views to the Bocche di Cattaro).
A more easy solution would be the visit of the Krka Falls Park and nearby Sibenik.

That sounds terrific for when Americans are allowed entry into Montenegro. 😊

maitaitom Aug 3rd, 2020 11:02 AM

While in Split, drive to Trogir (about 40 minutes). We stayed in Trogir and spent part of one day in Split. We liked Trogir much better.

rialtogrl Aug 4th, 2020 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by maitaitom (Post 17139345)
While in Split, drive to Trogir (about 40 minutes). We stayed in Trogir and spent part of one day in Split. We liked Trogir much better.

or take the Bura Lines ferry, a small vessel that goes from Split port to Trogir by sea.. takes one hour.

Heimdall Aug 4th, 2020 02:23 AM

Thank you. I would love to squeeze a visit to Montenegro in. Unfortunately, we Americans aren’t allowed in right now.”
Doesn’t that also apply to Croatia at the moment?
https://mup.gov.hr/uzg-covid/english/286212

progol Aug 4th, 2020 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Heimdall (Post 17139613)
Thank you. I would love to squeeze a visit to Montenegro in. Unfortunately, we Americans aren’t allowed in right now.”
Doesn’t that also apply to Croatia at the moment?
https://mup.gov.hr/uzg-covid/english/286212

Surprisingly, no. A negative PCR test within 48 hours and, as I read it, confirmation of paid accommodation will allow a non-EU member entry.

rialtogrl Aug 4th, 2020 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by progol (Post 17139627)
Surprisingly, no. A negative PCR test within 48 hours and, as I read it, confirmation of paid accommodation will allow a non-EU member entry.

Correct. Americans have been allowed in since May, the test is a new development (since mid July.)

Anyone wanting to do it, should research and bring all paperwork to the airport. Gate agents do not know what is going on. Once in Croatia all the border agents really care about are the test results. They see them and say enjoy Croatia, have a good time.

Heimdall Aug 4th, 2020 09:16 AM

Thank you progol and rialtogrl!

MinnBeef Aug 4th, 2020 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by maitaitom (Post 17139345)

Thank you. Trogir is on my list for a day trip from Split. I’m debating between it and Brac.

rialtogrl Aug 4th, 2020 12:15 PM

MinnBeef you already have two islands in your itinerary.. Trogir is the better choice, Brac is great but could be a bit repetitive. Of course you can just wait and make that decision in Split! Depending on your mood..

MinnBeef Aug 4th, 2020 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rialtogrl (Post 17139888)
MinnBeef you already have two islands in your itinerary.. Trogir is the better choice, Brac is great but could be a bit repetitive. Of course you can just wait and make that decision in Split! Depending on your mood..

Fair point, rialtogrl. Brac intrigues me for Zlatni Rati and the possibility of finding an olive oil tour.

goingthere2 Aug 7th, 2020 06:47 PM

Hmmm worth considering for a future trip

MinnBeef Aug 9th, 2020 01:43 PM

For those who’ve visited Plitvice Lakes, what is your opinion on starting at Entrance 1 vs. 2? I am staying at the Miric Plitvice and they recommend entrance 2, I’m sure in part because it’s only 1 mile from the hotel. But most of the blogs I’ve read recommend entrance 1 as they say that that way, you’ll always be walking towards the waterfalls vs. Having them behind you like you would with entrance 2.

thoughts?

Katherine23 Aug 12th, 2020 05:21 AM

One more vote for Split, we loved it!