Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

13 Nights in Croatia in September. Any Huge Misses in this Itinerary?

Search

13 Nights in Croatia in September. Any Huge Misses in this Itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2020, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafegoddess
Minnbeef, I hope you have a wonderful trip and everything goes smoothly.

Yorkshire, thank you.
thank you, cafegoddess!
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
MinnBeef it’s coming up fast! I think you will get to Hvar in time.. yesterday I was at Falko bar (you must go) and they told me they will stay open till October 1. The weather has been great, cooling down in the evenings, I think you will be happy.
Glad to hear! Did you get to Korcula also?
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by MinnBeef
Glad to hear! Did you get to Korcula also?
I was in Korcula last month. Just for a couple of days. It was pretty quiet, Bokar wine bar is great, if they are still open.

I will be in Hvar Town when you are here. If you need any last minute info do not hesitate to ask. Safe travels and enjoy quiet Dubrovnik
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 09:22 AM

Minnbeef, please, if you can, let us know how everything went upon arrival. I am planning a trip to Croatia the second week of October since I have to cancel our upcoming trip to France and Spain.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Minnbeef, please, if you can, let us know how everything went upon arrival. I am planning a trip to Croatia the second week of October since I have to cancel our upcoming trip to France and Spain.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
cafegoddess, will do. Here are 3 things I’ve learned through my research as an American traveling to Croatia during the year of coronavirus:

1. You MUST have a PCR test to show upon arrival that is no more than 48 hours old from the time of swab sample. I have one scheduled the morning of my departure and I should have the results the next day upon arrival in Dubrovnik. To relieve some anxiety, I hope to take a rapid COVID test the day before that provides results in 30 minutes. I’m not sure if it will count as a PCR test. That is what’s key. If you are also American, follow developments on the US State Dept. website.

2. Although I’ve heard that they may not be checking for it, the Croatian Interior Ministry website specifically says I must provide proof of advance payment for at least one of my hotels. I had my hotel in Zagreb charge me and provide me a paid invoice.

3. To expedite your customs work, complete an Announcement of Entry into the Republic of Croatia in advance of your trip and have it ready to show if asked. I think this is also through the Ministry of the Interior office.
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 11:40 PM

MinnBeef, will you have a long layover on your way back? It looks like we would need to spend the night in Munich on our way home.
I need to do more research if that will be possible.
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 03:03 AM

Have a great trip, MinnBeef! Looking forward to reading about your trip after your return!
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

MinnBeef, will you have a long layover on your way back? It looks like we would need to spend the night in Munich on our way home.
I need to do more research if that will be possible.
I will be able to fly out of Munich in the late
afternoon and return to the US that evening. What you can and can’t do depends a lot on your nationality. If Canadian, I think you can pass through German customs and overnight in the city. If you are American, you cannot at this time. The German Embassy website says that if you are just transiting through, you are expected to leave “immediately”.
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
Have a great trip, MinnBeef! Looking forward to reading about your trip after your return!
Thank you progol.
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 04:16 PM

MinnBeef, thank you very much for the additional information. I was able to find a flight that does not require an overnight stay and found a nice hotel in Zagreb and will now work on finding a hotel
in Dubrovnik.

Yorkshire, I missed your comment about truffle hunting in Istria, that is something I would enjoy very much. Thank you very much!

Old Sep 7th, 2020, 04:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Have a great trip, Minnbeef!

Another one here who is looking forward to reading your TR!
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 11:01 PM

MinnBeef, I am not sure if you left already for your trip. I just want to wish you a nice trip and I hope everything goes well for you. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Will you be driving from Dubrovnik to Zagreb?
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joannyc
Have a great trip, Minnbeef!

Another one here who is looking forward to reading your TR!
Thanks Joan!
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

MinnBeef, I am not sure if you left already for your trip. I just want to wish you a nice trip and I hope everything goes well for you. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Will you be driving from Dubrovnik to Zagreb?
Thanks cafegoddess. I am here on Korcula island, having finished 3 nights on Dubrovnik. Things went pretty smoothly logistically. I did have to call my clinic in Minneapolis that did my COVID test while I waited in Munich for my flight to Dubrovnik to get them to email my results, as my flight was just an hour away. This is a requirement for those coming from the US. Not sure where you are coming from, so you need to check Croatia’s requirements for your country of residence. Also, my customs agent in Dubrovnik wanted a pit out of my negative PCR test (remember, it has to be a PCR test or you run the risk of them not accepting it.). I told him I literally had just been emailed the results two hours earlier. He ultimately stamped my passport after I emailed him the PDF file. He did not ask to see my hotel reservations or my entrance to Croatia paperwork but if these apply to you, I wouldn’t take a chance on not having those ready upon arrival.

Dubrovnik was STUNNING and with crowds at only 10% of normal, a delight to visit. Day 1 in Korcula has had gorgeous weather and I just finished an afternoon of winery tasting with Korcula Explorer, which was great fun.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 11:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hope your trip is fabulous and relatively uneventful. I haven't traveled internationally since covid, but have loved the 2 domestic trips i have done. Have fun!
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 07:48 PM

Thanks cafegoddess. I am here on Korcula island, having finished 3 nights on Dubrovnik. Things went pretty smoothly logistically. I did have to call my clinic in Minneapolis that did my COVID test while I waited in Munich for my flight to Dubrovnik to get them to email my results, as my flight was just an hour away. This is a requirement for those coming from the US. Not sure where you are coming from, so you need to check Croatia’s requirements for your country of residence. Also, my customs agent in Dubrovnik wanted a pit out of my negative PCR test (remember, it has to be a PCR test or you run the risk of them not accepting it.). I told him I literally had just been emailed the results two hours earlier. He ultimately stamped my passport after I emailed him the PDF file. He did not ask to see my hotel reservations or my entrance to Croatia paperwork but if these apply to you, I wouldn’t take a chance on not having those ready upon arrival.

Dubrovnik was STUNNING and with crowds at only 10% of normal, a delight to visit. Day 1 in Korcula has had gorgeous weather and I just finished an afternoon of winery tasting with Korcula Explorer, which was great fun.
Hi MinnBeef, I am so happy to hear everything went smoothly for you! I did all the necessary paper work, just need to do the test, which we will do on the day we are leaving. Our travel time is about 30 hours.

If you have time, I would love to hear more about your travel. Thank you very much!
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 05:48 AM

Thank you very much. I’ll be nervously praying the entire way over as I won’t receive my PCR
test results until I turn on my phone after landing at the Dubrovnik airport.
I strongly recommend a self quarantine for at least 10 days in your home city before taking your test (if you're able to). Maybe even 14 days if you want to be extra safe. Stay home and order in. This reduces your chances of a nasty surprise at the airport by astronomical odds.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 02:58 PM

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
We were supposed to visit Croatia around the time that you had visited. Almost the same itinerary like yours but we canceled the trip because of the pandemic. At least we got to see Croatia through your photos. Thanks for all the pictures posted, indeed they are beautiful!
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cherthor
We were supposed to visit Croatia around the time that you had visited. Almost the same itinerary like yours but we canceled the trip because of the pandemic. At least we got to see Croatia through your photos. Thanks for all the pictures posted, indeed they are beautiful!
Thank you Cherthor for your kind words. Hopefully you and your’s will make it to Croatia as soon as 2021!
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 02:07 AM

Hi,

We are travelling to Croatia in September and wanted to see as much of the country as possible, we don't mind being on the go as we did 7 countries in 7 weeks last year. We are a family of four with two boys age 12 & 14. Our thoughts are:

Day 1- Fly into Pula from London (arr 9.10am), then onto Rovinj

Day 2- Rovinj

Day 3- Rovinj to Zagreb by car

Day 4- Zagreb

Day 5- Zagreb to Plitivice Lakes then onto Split

Day 6- Split

Day 7- Split to either Brac or Hvar (2 night stay)

Day 8- Brac or Hvar

Day 9- Travel from Split to Dubrovnik by car

Day 10- Dubrovnik

Day 11- Dubrovnik

Day 12- Fly to Milan

My main concern is if Zagreb is worth visiting and whether we should transfer that time into staying at another location or existing one?

What islands do people recommend to stay at for 2 nights?

I would appreciate any advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -