Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   13 Day Italy Itinerary - Venice - Siena - Rome Suggestions and Advice Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/13-day-italy-itinerary-venice-siena-rome-suggestions-and-advice-please-1017612/)

Pearce_O Jun 20th, 2014 10:21 AM

13 Day Italy Itinerary - Venice - Siena - Rome Suggestions and Advice Please

Hi,

My wife and I are headed to Italy in late September for 13 days. Anything we MUST see? I know we're not going to have time to see everything, that's why we're going to have to go back! Any reccomendations on restaurants (hidden gems are a plus, i.e. Steak from Dario Cecchini in Panzano is DEF. on the list :-) )? We're spending 4 nights in Venice, 6 in Siena (as a base), and 3 in Rome. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Saturday - Overnight flight to Venice
Sunday AM - Arrive in Venice
Monday - Venice - Gallerie Dell'Accademia, Peggy Guggenheim, San Giorgio Maggiore
Tuesday - Venice - Doge's Palace, Rialto Markets
Wednesday - Venice - San Marco's Square, Basillica San Marco
Thursday - travel to Siena (Train to Florence--> Transfer to Siena); pick up rental car in Siena
Friday - Siena - Explore Siena, Duomo, Piazza Del Campo
Saturday - Siena - Day trip to Monteriggioni and San Gimignano
Sunday - Siena - Day trip to Castellina, Panzano, Chianti Region
Monday - Siena - Day Trip to Montalcino, Pienza
Tuesday - Siena - ???
Wednesday - travel to Rome (Train to Chiusi --> Transfer to Rome)
Thursday - Rome - Vatican City, St. Peter's
Friday - Rome - Colleseum, Forum, Pantheon
Saturday - Flight back to US

THANKS!

Pearce

Rostra Jun 20th, 2014 10:39 AM

<<<Thursday - travel to Siena (Train to Florence--> Transfer to Siena); pick up rental car in Siena
Friday - Siena - Explore Siena, Duomo, Piazza Del Campo
Saturday - Siena - Day trip to Monteriggioni and San Gimignano
Sunday - Siena - Day trip to Castellina, Panzano, Chianti Region
Monday - Siena - Day Trip to Montalcino, Pienza
Tuesday - Siena - ???>>>

Maybe rearrange this Siena stay?
You will be paying for 2 nights parking (thurs & fri) with 1 day (fri) exploring Siena before you require a car?

Pearce_O Jun 20th, 2014 10:55 AM

Yep, you're right! Thanks!

PalenQ Jun 20th, 2014 10:56 AM

Tuesday ??? - Pisa and the Leaning Tower is also a fairly short day trip by car from Siena.

kybourbon Jun 20th, 2014 11:47 AM

>>>Wednesday - travel to Rome (Train to Chiusi --> Transfer to Rome)<<<

The better option is the Sena bus. Doesn't require a transfer and takes the same amount of time.

www.sena.it

>>>Tuesday ??? - Pisa and the Leaning Tower is also a fairly short day trip by car from Siena.<<<

Not really. Almost two hours one way and you can't drive in the center as it's ZTL.

You might consider dropping the car elsewhere (Chiusi or Orvieto), but it depends on which rental company and day (rental companies in small towns such as Siena/Chiusi/Orvieto are closed Saturdays after 1, all day Sunday and several hours in the afternoon on other days). You could stop at Montepulciano on the way if you drop your car at Chiusi or Orvieto. I would even consider dropping a night in Siena and stay in one of those towns for a small hill town experience although Rome really deserves another night (3 nights only gives you two sightseeing days).

xyz99 Jun 20th, 2014 12:07 PM

I would re-arrange Venice, too. Two museums on the 1st day, after long flight might be too much. Maybe do one on Mon, and the other one on Wed.
And if you have time, consider a visit to Burano for maybe 1/2 day.

sandralist Jun 20th, 2014 12:37 PM

I suggest that you leave Tuesday in Siena blank. Take the car out and explore and be surprised. Do something unplanned.

Pick up the car rental Saturday morning in Siena. You don't need the car until then. On Wednesday, drive the car to Chiusi, drop it off, take the train to Rome. I see no reason to take the bus and no need to worry about the whether the car rental office will be closed for the weekend. You won't be there on a weekend day.

Rostra Jun 21st, 2014 09:51 AM

On your Thursday travel day (Venice-Florence-Siena)you might consider getting an early start.
Arrive Florence, leave luggage at the train station's 'Left Luggage', purchase Siena bus tickets for an hours later bus and walk around and/or purchase pre-booked museum tickets (Accademia?) in Florence.
The 'tourist center' is very small with basically all the sites in a 1sq/mi area with the train station at 1 corner of the square mile.

Just a thought!

RonZ Jun 21st, 2014 11:03 AM

Dinner in Rome: Antica Boheme, near S. Maria Maggiore, away from the crowds. Reservation essential.

Dayle Jun 22nd, 2014 06:14 AM

Hi Pearce,

My one comment would be that if you want to experience the Tuscan countryside, stay in the countryside. Siena is a beautiful city, but it is much larger than you realize. It's the largest of the "hilltowns" and to me it's a city. Plus the major roads ringing Siena are a bit confusing to drive. The only place in Tuscany we had a delay in finding the right road.

I would highly recommend spending time IN one of the much small towns or villages for a nice contrast to your major cities. The small towns are much easier to park/drive in/out than Siena.

Buon viaggio!