Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

12hr layover in Paris. Tour limo from the Airport?

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 03:17 PM
Wayne Struzik

My wife and I will be flying into Paris on Air France in July, after World Cup. We have a 12 hr layover 8am to 8pm. Can we get a tour limo or mini bus from the airport to show us as much as can be seen in Paris in this short period? Where should we plan a lunch? Upscale $. Thanks. Wayne

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 05:44 PM
M. Kelly

Limo sounds great, but for my money, the best part of Paris is to be on foot (especially between planes.) I recommend taking the RER train directly from the airport. You can change at Gare St. Lazare for any Metro stop. I'll let someone else give a recommendation for dining. I prefer those fabulous sidewalk cafes. Have a great trip! [email protected]

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 07:01 PM
Lynn

One suggestion you might want to consider for lunch is to have it at the restaurant at the top of the Eiffel Tower. If you are planning on seeing the tower anyway and having lunch, one way to get to the top of the tower fast (avoiding the long, crowded, shoving lines) is to hop the elevator to the restaurant and have your lunch overlooking Paris. Caution--it is pricey but the food is surprisingly good.

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 07:09 PM
Lynn

P.S.--In addition to that lunch, with only 12 hours in Paris, I would definitely suggest a tour as you mentioned. We were in Paris this summer, but it was a stop on a European Cruise. Like you, we had a limited amount of hours to spend. We read all about how Paris should be seen on foot and how easy the public transportation is. These are all true--IF you have more than just hours to spend in Paris. When you only have hours, however, you find yourself undecidely darting in one direction after another in an unfamiliar city, trying to read the maps and figuring out which metro stop goes where. For a relaxed 12 hours, (and it is obvious there is no way you can see everything) read a few guide books, decide what your priority is to see (for us, it was going to the top of the Eiffel tower) and book a tour based on that.

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 11:21 PM
jules

My husband and I had a short time in Paris - we pre-booked through American Express in Australia via their Paris Office, to be met at the airport by a driver, and spent 3 hours sightseeing what the driver believed to be the sights to see and the "real" Paris. It cost approx $180 and was worth every cent. The driver would stop if we wished, so that we could wander around areas such as Monmarte. It was great. Enjoy!