12 Days trip to Italy

Jan 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

12 Days trip to Italy

I am new on Fodor's and I've been getting a mild head ache from trying to sort through all the recommendations regarding Tuscany.
I would love it if you could give me your opinion on my plans and let me know what tips you might have for me.

We're planning to stay in Florence and tour the city & Pisa for 4 days, after this the plan is to drive down to Rome.
I have accommodated 4 days of driving in Tuscany when we want to stop in Siena, Volterra, Orvieto, Montepulciano and other locations along the way for wine tasting and enjoying the good food of Tuscany.
We have also accommodated for 4 days in Rome to enjoy the sites there.

At this point i would need your opinion on 2 questions:
1. Is 4 days driving through Tuscany too long? This is our first time in Tuscany..
2. I am thinking of booking the il Riccio in Montepulciano and driving to other Tuscany locations from there.
Does this makes sense or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!!!
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM

If you are talking about booking in Montepulciano and day tripping to Volterra, that is a long trek. I would stop there departing from Florence or day as a day trip by Florence by bus. Siena is also an easy day trip by bus too (1 hour - 6-7€).
You can visit Pisa easily by train from Florence (about 1 hour - 6€ one way).

Many vineyards require appointments for touring/tasting. Are there certain vineyards or wines you were interested in?

Are you planning to drop the car in Orvieto?
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply kybourbon

The Plan was to walk around Florence for 3 days. One day would be dedicated to Pisa as you suggested by bus from Florence.

Volterra was planned as part of the drive dowm to Montepulciano.
We were planning on dropping the car outside of Rome. Didn't book that yet so not sure where drop-off will be.

As for vinyards, I'll be happy with any recommendations you might have.
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Four days in the Tuscan countryside is a minimum for the area. Take a look at the Leaning Tower in Pisa and then go to Lucca, a beautiful small walled city.
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Many people drop off their car in Orvieto and take the train to Rome from there ( one hour) to avoid getting into Rome traffic. Orvieto is worth seeing, so you might consider one night there. Be advised the car rental offices there close at noon on Saturday and don't reopened until Monday.

I trust you are not driving in Florence! don't get a car until you are ready to leave for the Tuscan countryside. You need to look at a map of Tuscany and see where things are.
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HappyTrvlr.
There were mixed opinions between the people I spoke with regarding this trip.
Some said 2 days are more than enough and some laughed at my plan for 4 days in the countryside as it was not long enough.

I started wondering if I should add 2 days in the Amalfi coast instead..
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi charnees,

As you are the second person here mentioning returning the car in Orvieto and we were planning to get there anyway, this sounds like a great plan to me.

We did not plan on driving in Florence or Rome. I read too many negative or scary comments here on driving in the city...
Jan 19th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Hi,
We have been to the provences liket Tuscany, many times. If this is your first time in Tuscany, then I would stay at least four days, as there are so many lovely places to see and breathtaking scenary. Since you are hiring a car it is so much easier to see many towns and cities like Pisa, Florence, San Gimignano, a lovely hilltop ancient town, etc. We stayed in an Agriturismo on the outskirts of San Gimignano and toured the towns from there. I would definitly stay for 4 days in Tuscany. Amalfi coast is lovely as well, but if you plan to stop for 4 days in Rome, then you just won't have the time to go to the Analfi coast, unless you spend three nights in Tuscany, three nights in Rome and two nights on the Amalfi coast, but you would have a real lot of travelling to do believe me, and if you are not really fond of driving I would not suggest it. My husband drove both in Rome and Florence, actually he drove everywhere, even in Paris and London on different holidays!! They are not that bad to drive, but of course lots of traffic, and you have to really look out so that you do not get a penalty, as you can't enter in many streets. We had a penalty both in Florence and Rome once actually, and we even have the blue sticker for persons with disability as our child is disabled and always comes abroad with us. So unless you are a really experienced driver in Italy I would not suggest entering the very centre of cities, although of course you might consider going by car and not driving to the very centre. Enjoy your holiday
Jan 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Those 4 days in Tuscany are great---you will have fun.
For a first trip I would not suggest Montepulciano as your best base location. Too far east and hard to drive into and out. We stayed there last May, but we are experienced. Look at San Quirico---much more centro and easy to access. My fav is Palazzo del Capitano but also Casa Lemmi.
Heer are some pics--page 2 on is Tuscany.

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4553