12 days Rome and South with young kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2022, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I have traveled to Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) and are coming back in Sept 20222 with a 2 and 4 year old this time. Thinking Rome (3 days), Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii (3 days) and Vieste. We're trying plan better because of this kids vs last time we just explored for the most part (and had the best trip).

Would love advice on renting a car (we have one reserved for 12 days with 2 card seats) and potential itinerary must do's knowing what we've kind of come up with so far. Other than doing a couple days in Rome again (must) and going South this time, we're pretty open. 3 (4 max) hotels is what we're thinking.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 03:57 PM

With 2 little ones you may want to consider renting apartments instead of hotel rooms. We traveled to Italy with our almost 4 yr old granddaughter and really appreciated the extra space. Having a kitchen was a life saver as we were able to provide snacks and meals for her when hunger struck.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How many nights will you spend in Italy? Three full days in Rome requires 4 nights, and 3 days in Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii requires 4 nights, etc. Some kids have trouble adjusting to all the changes (time, beds, food), so the first day or two (or more?) might be "low energy" days. Will either/both kids need a daily nap?

It's unclear how the car fits in for the entire 12 days. If you're staying IN Rome at the beginning, you don't want/need a car for those days. The car would make the transfer to "Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii" easier, but I strongly recommend against driving IN Naples, so the car might just sit parked on your days in this area. A new scheme for reducing traffic on the coastal road (Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, etc.) restricts cars to even/odd dates depending on the car's license plate. Obviously, the transfer to Vieste and exploring that area are easier with a car, but it's a long way to go for only a few days if you're flying home from FCO. When you figure in rest/lunch stops along the way, the drive Sorrento-Vieste is close to 6 hours and Vieste-FCO is closer to 7 hours. You'd need to spend the last night close to FCO, so there's your 4th hotel stay.

I don't know what specifically draws you to Vieste on this trip, bu,t if this was my trip, after Rome I would have considered somewhere on the west coast (Gaeta, Sperlonga, San Felice) or perhaps Ischia, then Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii before flying home from Naples. Three geographically distant places in 12 days with 2-under-5 would be fast-paced for me.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 12:50 PM

I think you will want longer in Rome and Sorrento. What are your plans for both? I think the kids might be a bit young for Pompeii. The Amalfi area has been totally swamped this year. I'd swap it for more of Puglia, which has lots of kid friendly places.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 02:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i think that I'd be taking a rather different approach, looking for a smaller beach resort or inland agriturismo with a pool and apartments where you can put the kids to bed safely and have some down time to yourselves, with day trips around the region. I find it hard to imagine that Rome or Pompeii with two small children is a holiday and as you've already been to Rome I'd leave returning to it until the kids are older.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 10:33 PM

Since you are still open, think carefully about Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast with such young ones. Walking in Pompeii will be difficult and a stroller won’t work well there. Other areas of the AC entail similar issues, with lots of stone steps, etc. Sorrento would be doable, but a car would not be of much help, IMHO.

It may not be of the same interest to you, but Annhig is giving excellent advice.
Also, there are places like Lucca that offer flat walking and even a carousel, while still having great views, good food and day trip possibilities. Someplace with a wadding pool, places to play, animals, etc. would be nice. A larger town would be Bologna, with more to do, day trips, etc.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Merrigan
Wife and I have traveled to Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) and are coming back in Sept 20222 with a 2 and 4 year old this time. Thinking Rome (3 days), Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii (3 days) and Vieste. We're trying plan better because of this kids vs last time we just explored for the most part (and had the best trip).
Would love advice on renting a car (we have one reserved for 12 days with 2 card seats) and potential itinerary must do's knowing what we've kind of come up with so far. Other than doing a couple days in Rome again (must) and going South this time, we're pretty open. 3 (4 max) hotels is what we're thinking.
Have you considered not taking the kids/delaying your trip by 5 years?

I was in the same situation at one time. Wife & I were big travelers, suddenly had enough income to travel more, but also with 2 small kids.
It took us 1 terrible experience to change our minds & do smaller, shorter trips (excluding a big one to Disney), then once our kids were older, we traveled all over the world with them & gave them experiences they could actually remember.
Some toddlers are definitely better travelers, but there are NONE that enjoy 9 hour plane rides, huge time zone changes, noisy/crowded cities where art & culture are the centerpiece.
They do like pools, beaches, playgrounds, animals, etc... All which can be found closer to home.

We did Italy with our kids at ages 13 & 9. They loved it and even tolerated the Vatican Museum! So glad we waited!
BUT, you didn't come here for a lecture on parenting choices
The Hilton Sorrento Palace has a pool that kids of all ages will adore! Also has family rooms & breakfast on a veranda overlooking the Med. Sea and Vesuvius.
Under your current plan, I'd do Rome without a car, take the train to Naples & rent your car there & return it to the airport.
The beaches of the AC are mostly gravel, not sand, so a pool will be a must.
Pompeii will require carrying the kids since a stroller won't work well and there is very little shade.

Tauck Bridges/Adventures by Disney does some great family-oriented tours of Europe & kids really love traveling with other kids.

Last edited by alandavid; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 02:00 PM

By age five and seven, our kids enjoyed castles, parks, picnics, riding trams, swimming and wading in shallow streams and lakes. They loved Paris and the Netherlands.

We finally went to Italy (Venice, Pisa, Florence and Rome, all of which they liked, they both liked art museums) when they were seven and almost nine, but we did not even attempt Pompeii. They just did not yet have the stamina for walking on hot stones. I doubt you could actually carry a two and a four year old there for two or three hours.

Alandavid is spot on. If going now is a must, give serious consideration to an itinerary that is more compatible with a toddler and pre-schooler.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merrigan

UPDATE
This was the best idea I’ve ever had to post this question to you all! Thank you for the great insight and advise (even the parenting part lol). This will all definitely affect our planing.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 08:26 AM

I'm so glad it was helpful and not dispiriting! In Puglia, there is an outdoor animal safari (know nothing about it, just sounds like something littles would like), the trulli homes, a cave complex, and kid friendly beaches. Plus a an occasional castle or tower. So, I'm all for traveling with young children--just want all to know Pompeii is no walk in the park. Good luck!
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 08:44 AM

Let me add something we found most helpful with our granddaughter and that was the use of a stroller. We brought along a small jogging stroller with a good suspension and nice fat wheels that traveled well over the cobblestones without getting stuck or jarring her teeth loose. Very often she would nap while we walked the city or had lunch/dinner. It also was a lifesaver in the airports where it seemed like our gates were at furthest ends from each other. We were able to gate check it before boarding. Just make sure it is secured with a strap (no bungee cords allowed) when folded so it isn’t damaged.