Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

12 days: Milan to Padua, Pesaro, Florence then Rome

Aug 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

I have plane tickets to arrive in Milan from Chicago on September 20, '09. Has anyone visited the north and northeast coast, Venuto, then proceeded on toward Florence, on way to Rome? I have been to Florence and Rome before, never Milan or points north. I have 12 days before I fly out of Rome. I know this isn't the greatest amount of time [don't ask], and the Euro isn't exactly favorable to the $ these days; therefore, I could use any suggestions for accommodations, travel (will be doing train primarily) and any other helpful advice for trip while saving on expenses. Thanks
Aug 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM

By Venuto, I expect you mean Veneto. (At first I thought you were going to some town named Venuto.)

Padua is an interesting city with lots to offer of its own, and also close enough to Venice, Verona, and Vicenza for daytrips if those cities are of interest to you.

You didn't mention Pesaro in the body of your post -- did you really mean Pesaro? By train, to get from Padua to Pesaro, you will probably connect through Bologna. Similarly, to travel from Pesaro to Florence, you will backtrack through Bologna. Click on my screen name to access my trip report that featured a two-night visit in Pesaro.
Aug 10th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

ellenem: Yeah, I meant Veneto. Thanks for recognizing the error (I know a person named Venuto- I think it is from there that the unconscious error was generated). I had heard that, because of the mountain barrier, there was no direct route from Pesaro either to Florence or Rome, but I was not sure. At any rate, your comments provide some very helpful information in a short space. It's always nice to get the concise reply without the fluff. That by itself is a bonus. I will, as you suggest, now go to your trip report. Thanks loads/ grazie mille!! Z
Aug 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM

How will you travel from Milan to Venice? Bergamo, Vicenza, Padua, Montova and Verona are along the route.

After Venice, if you hit the above from Milan to Venice, then Ferrara, Bologna amd Parma are always Motorino favorite Italy destinations, on way from Venice to Rome or Florence. Of course there are also the many destiantions in Umbria and Tuscany all worth a visit. In Umbria Perugia art musuem is a must visit. Assisi for Giotto, after seeing Giotto in Scrovegni Chapel in Padua is always stimulating and to enjoy the peacefulness of the town.

All are easily accessible by train. Buon Viaggio!
Aug 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM

zola,

Glad to help. By the way, why are you going to Pesaro? My trip report outlines how we chose Pesaro so that we could reach Urbino.

How do you plan to allot you days as of now? Do you plan to stop in Florence?
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Hotel Belludi 37 is a wonderful hotel in Padua. http://www.belludi37.it/en/ Contemporary rooms in a old building in the centro storico. Minutes by foot to Saint Anthony's and Prato delle Valle. Walkable if you're so inclined or a short bus ride to Scrovegni Chapel. Terrific breakfast - eggs cooked to order. Free internet access in the lobby. And probably the best staff ever!
Aug 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

ellenem: There is a person in Pesaro I would like to see/meet (same for Padua). From the sounds of things, though, perhaps I should suggest a convenient meeting point on the way south (Bologna) rather than going to Pesaro. What do you think?
If I'm going in that direction, I would like to stop in Florence. It would be a pity not to see it again and perhaps the Tuscan countryside.
As of now, I'm not sure, but I'm trying to ration my days, something like:
Milan-> Reggio Emilia 2 nights (a B & B in R-E.)
Padua 2-3 nights/days
Pesaro (or Bologna?) 2-3 nights/days
Florence & environs 3 days
Rome 2-3 nights/days
(maybe substitute a day or 2 from Rome in Perugia)

Motorino: thanks for the itinerary suggestions. You provide a lot from which to choose. Don't hate me, but I have no desire to see Venice. I think wandering a bit away from Florence in Tuscany, however, sounds appealing.

Toni: Thank you for the hotel reference in Padua. The search engines I've consulted (lots!) have not shown reasonable options so far.

Mille grazie a tutti!
Aug 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM

If actually visiting Pesaro means little to you, then yes, Bologna would be a good meeting spot (convenient for both) along the way as well as a nice place to visit. However, my experience of Italian hospitality is such that I wouldn't want to miss a chance to see a place from the point of view of one who lives there. This is a decision you will have to make since you know the person and what all that will entail.

Bologna is also a good place for daytrips to other places . . . Ravenna, Ferrara, Modena, Parma . . .

From Padua, it's easy to visit Verona and Vicenza.