Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/12-days-in-western-sicily-in-april-2017-itinerary-questions-1240212/)

LaBellaDona Mar 24th, 2017 06:58 PM

12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions

I will be arriving in Palermo early on April 14, 2017 and leaving Sicily on Wednesday, April 26th.
My itinerary is:

4/14 (Good Friday) - 4/15 Palermo (2 full days)
renting a car and driving to:
4/16 (Easter) - 4/17 Castellammare del Golfo
4/18 - 4/20 Trapani
4/21 driving from Trapani to Menfi
4/22 Menfi (La Foresteria Planeta - 1 full day on 4/22)
4/23 - 4/25 Cefalù

We plan to use the car a lot to drive to various places of interest and we would like to perhaps visit Favignano while we are staying in Trapani.

May I ask what are the memorable places/things to see, any wonderful restaurants, etc. Also, I am having some trouble finding processions and/or other religious events during Good Friday in Palermo and Easter in Castellammare. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

kja Mar 24th, 2017 08:14 PM

With only 12 days, you are, IMO, wise to limit yourself to just part of Sicily!

Some comments:

I may be misunderstanding, but it doesn’t seem to me that you really have 2 full days in Palermo, particularly if you will have jet lag upon arrival. More to the point, 2 days is very little for Palermo, which has more than enough to warrant 3 or 4 days. Of course, it all depends on what you want to see an experience! Do try to make time for the cathedral of Monreale, just outside Palermo – one of the world’s gems, IMO.

If you don’t already have them, I strongly recommend the Rough Guide and Michelin Green Guide for the area.

Sicily is a delight -- enjoy!

Dayle Mar 25th, 2017 12:02 PM

Do you have some special reason for staying in Castellammare del Golfo?

I agree, you don't seem to have 2 full days in Palermo. There is much to see there. I had 4 nts, 3.5 days and that just barely allowed the highlights which did include Monreale.

I chose to stay 3nts in Erice and from there visited Segesta, the salt pans and Erice itself. I admit to sleeping in my day after arrival due to only 8 hours sleep total over the prior 3 nights!! It was pouring rain in Erice so a great day to sleep peacefully....

Anyway, my main comment is La Planeta Estate is so heavenly, you will regret only 2 nts and 1 day there. Take one from either Castellammare del Golfo or Cefalu and add it if you can get it!

Dayle Mar 25th, 2017 12:04 PM

PS - if you intend a relaxing day at La Forresteria, then definitely add another day to enjoy Selinute and a wine tasting lunch at La Planeta's nearby winery. I didn't have time for this and I still regret missing it. Loved Selinute, missed the winery. Advance res are required.