Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

12 days in Sicily or Santorini & Rhodes.....

Jan 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Hello fellow travelers,

We are a family of four, with two boys ages 14 and 12. Over the last three summers, we have visited France, Spain and Italy. We have visited Italy twice, covering Rome and the North, including Florence, Tuscany and Venice, and also travelled to the Amalfi Coast and Puglia.

This summer, we are planning to visit Prague and Vienna for 4 days each. We also want to then travel south to either 2 Greek islands or Sicily for 12 days. We enjoy the warm temperatures and the beaches, but also want to see interesting sights. We know that Sicily is a large island, so we are considering staying in the Taormina area and take day trips to Syracusa and Mount Etna and then maybe spending a few days in the Aeolian Islands.

We are also considering Santorini and Rhodes in the Greek Islands. We know that this would involve slightly more travel time but we have heard that there is quite a bit to see and the beaches are superb.

Please help us decide which area to spend the last 12 days of our vacation.

Thanks so much.

Andrea
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:30 AM

You might want to read my trip report on Sicily. Just click on my name to find it. I would not base in Taormina exclusively. There is a great deal to see on the southern and western side of the island that would be missed that way.
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM

That is one tough decision - they would both be fabulous for 12 days. And I agree with you on the split of Northern Europe and Southern. We have done that for the past several years - a couple weeks in a hot sunny southern area (Sicily, Greece, Amalfi, etc) and then a week or so in the North. I loved both Prague and Vienna.

I have trip reports and links to photos on all the places you mention except Rhodes. Santorini is now one of my favorite places on earth - there is just no view like that. But I'm not sure the beaches are the best. They do have beaches but that wasn't a focus for us. Naxos has good beaches but not the views of Santorini. On the other hand, Naxos is an easy ferry ride from Santorini and I'm not sure about Rhodes. In Sicily I went swimming (Siracusa) but there weren't really "beaches" - it was rocks and jetty type things that had beach chairs you could rent. But the water was amazing.

Here's my trip report from Sicily, but if you click my name you'll find the Greece one. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-and-switz.cfm
Jan 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM

You don't travel to Santorni for it's beaches; it's all about the view..Beaches on other islands, Crete are preferable.
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM

We've done both and that is a tough decision and you really can't go wrong. I would say that since you have already taken the family to Italy, Greece would be a great change. Some beautiful beaches in Rhodes and Santorini is just amazing.
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Are your boys really into "views" at that age? I've been to both and find Sicily more interesting with more to do and see than Santorini. I do like Rhodes, but still favor Sicily, especially for a family.