Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

12 Days, Goal: Italy, Austria, Germany--Shoot some holes in this itinerary

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys i know...i have read over ambitious itineraries like this and i have seen people talk about how its crazy... Well, thats what I'm after with my itinerary.

Am i kidding myself thinking i will get to all of the following?
How would you alter it?
Whats worth it and whats not?
Where to cut days, where to add days?
At this point I am planning to use a SelectPass (3 country) from Eurail. Is this the best bang for my buck?

July 27 - Depart from Home on your overnight flight to Rome.
July 28 - Arrive Rome. Overnight here.
July 29 - Day in Rome. Overnight here.
July 30 – Day at leisure in Rome. Overnight here.
July 31 – Take Morning train to Florence. - approx 2.5 hrs. Overnight here.
Aug 1 - Day at leisure in Florence & Pisa. Overnight here.
Aug 2 - Take morning train to Venice - approx 2.5 hrs. Overnight here.
Aug 3 - Day at leisure in Venice. Night Train to Salzburg. - approx 7 hrs.
Aug 4 - Day in Salzburg - Overnight here.
Aug 5 - Day at leisure in Salzburg. Overnight here.
Aug 6 - Take morning train to Munich – approx 1.5 hrs. Overnight here.
Aug 7 - Day at leisure in Munich. Overnight here.
Aug 8 – Return home.

Personal Details:
It's just my wife and i traveling. We plan to backpack. We are in our mid to late twenties. We are thinking of staying in hostels, pensions, and cheap hotels (are there some along this path you would recommend). We're trying not to spend a ton of money?
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM

All good destinations, of course. Very pricey in Italy. I think that your itin. is fairly doable. Not that I would do it. It's likely to be sweltering in Italy then, and cheaper rooms lack A/C, as a rule. But even with A/C, your hours on the cobblestones and the concrete are likely to be pretty miserable in late July and August.

I'm VERY tight with my travel dime. I'd spend my time in the Alps or to the north instead. We saw Rome and Florence two winters back and had a lovely time - January prices and temps are much lower. There's nothing worse in my book than paying heavily only to sweat even more heavily.

Maybe look into the Dolomites (Bolzano area) - very nice there - and the Austrian and German Alps, and a bit more of Bavaria than just Munich. I suppose you could try slipping down to Venice for a night or two from Bolzano - it's often cooler in Venice than elsewhere.

You can find B&B rooms in Bavaria cheaply in the rural villages - figure 20-30 Euros each per night. Use the alpine village of Mittenwald as an example:

http://www.k-d.com/englisch/schiffst...hein-peak.html
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Sorry - my link above is totally haywire. Here you go:

http://www.mittenwald.de/index.shtml?en_m_zimmersuche
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM

You were doing ok until you got to Venice.

A train pass is rarely cost effective for Italy. Try entering your itinerary on www.railsaver.com and click "only if a pass saves me money".

Rome/Florence is about 30€ and Florence/Venice about 40€ for the fast trains including seats.
You have to keep in mind that a rail pass doesn't include the required seat reservations for the faster trains in Italy. For AV - 20€, ES -15€, ICPlus - 5€. Nor will it include the cost on overnight trains.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:05 AM

We stayed in a great hostel in Venice - Ca Venezia - booked on the hostelsclub.com website. Very good location - short walk to Piazza San Marco - which you will need if you're only in Venice for a day. If you haven't been to Venice before, I would personally stay longer - I've just been for the first time - loved it - amazing place. In Rome, we stayed in an apartment right near the Colosseum which was fantastic and not too expensive - [email protected]. Also, did you know it's quite a long way from Florence to Pisa.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:11 AM

If it isn't a total must, I'd leave out Venice from the itinerary and add one day at Florence, maybe for a day trip to Sienna.

As for good prices, I think that Germany is by now amazingly cheap in comparison to other European countries (though Munich is one of the more expensive places in Germany).
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

to adapt this a bit we were told to add a day in florence....maybe take a day trip to the beach or to sienna and pull a day from venice. So that would make one full day and one night (well sort of, we would get there from florence that morning on a 2.5 hour train) in vencie and then a fast train to salzburg. here is what i am talking about below...thoughts? Please tell me what you would do and why?

July 27 - Depart from Home on your overnight flight to Rome.
July 28 - Arrive Rome. Overnight here.
July 29 - Day in Rome. Overnight here.
July 30 – Day at leisure in Rome. Overnight here.
July 31 – Take Morning train to Florence. - approx 2.5 hrs. Overnight here.
Aug 1 - Day at leisure in Florence. Overnight here.
Aug 2 - Day in Florence/Day trip to Sienna or Pisa. Overnight here
Aug 3 - Take morning train to Venice - approx 2.5 hrs. Overnight here.
Aug 4 - Take morning fast train to Salzburg. Overnight here.
Aug 5 - Day at leisure in Salzburg. Overnight here.
Aug 6 - Take morning train to Munich – approx 1.5 hrs. Overnight here.
Aug 7 - Day at leisure in Munich. Overnight here.
Aug 8 – Return home.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM

The fast train between Rome/Florence is 1hr 40min.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM

Everybody has their own opinion. Unless you're big fans of Renaissance art and architecture, I'd take a day away from Florence and add it to Venice. If you want to go to the beach, take a vaporetto from Venice to the Lido, which is a barrier-type island in the Venetian lagoon.

I thought your original itinerary was pretty good. Tight but doable.

Venice is expensive. But if you go, spring for a place in the city itself. Dwelling in a place without cars, trucks, or vespas, walking around in the early morning and in the evening after the daytrippers have left, makes a visit so much more enjoyable.

In Italy an inexpensive option for lodgings are convents. They're kinda bare bones and you can't stay out late at night, but they're an alternative to hostels.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
ira

Hi wt,

It is not an unreasonable itinerary.

If you want to save money, stay in Italy and split your 4 days among F, V and R, or use the nights for the Cinque Terre, the Lakes or the Mountains.

Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM

This is exactly what I did back in 1981 as a recent college grad. We actually had France before and Switzerland after what you are doing, but your trip is exactly what we did.

Very doable! You get to see enough to wet your appetite and determine if future, longer visits are necessary.

27 years later, I have returned to Salzburg, Munich (we were close and wife hadn't been there before and the beer!) and Venice. Never felt the need to go back to Rome or Florence.

Enjoy!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM

With an intinerary like that, you'll get a taste of all your destinations and then you'll definitely want to return and go at a slower pace. Sitting at an outdoor cafe and soaking up the atmosphere, strolling down sidestreets, window shopping, checking out the local markets, and maybe some wine tasting. And German wine is quite good, also. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM

Its crazy, but you actually have a decent amount of time in several places. This is similar to my 6 weeks in Europe trip that covered the same ground, although I did Munich before Salzburg. Some folks have suggested skipping Venice - its definitely worth a visit IMO, as there is no other place like it in the world. But one night is plenty of time. There are only so many canals, and the shopping there is over-rated (unlike the shopping in Florence and Siena which I love).

The only other suggestion I would make is that I *might* consider taking a day away from Rome and giving it to Munich, which would allow you to go outside the city into Bavaria, see some mountains and maybe visit the Neuschwanstein Castle.

Have a great trip!