Notices

12 days and what to do?

Feb 28th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

12 days and what to do?

Hello,

My fiancé and I are planning a trip in June to Europe. We have 12 free days total (after allocating 2 days for travel there and back home.) We would mainly like to see Rome, for maybe 3 days, and end in santorini for 3-4 days. I also really want to experience Venice though! I love the Romantic appeal, well and duh, the fact that it is a beautiful city on water! So maybe there for 2 days, just because I've always wanted to go, and even if for just a short time, I would like to see it and get a feel for it. And then there's Athens, which is on the way to our ending location, Santorini. Naturally, stopping there, we would probably want to explore a tiny bit..quickly go see The Pantheon and have lunch or something before next flight to Santorini perhaps? Neither of us have ever traveled multiple countries before. He has been to Rome, but I haven't been to any on our list this time. Is it completely unrealistic to try and fit all of that into 12 days? Experienced traveler's advice needed please
Feb 28th, 2016, 12:33 PM

A lot of people will tell you that it is rushed.

However it might work and I like your idea to at least go and see the Partheneon whilst there.

I don't feel it is unrelastic however pay attention to the time ost in travel : checking out, checking in, looking for you hotel, going to airport, allowing for safety margin, etc. So at least count half a day when moving.
Feb 29th, 2016, 03:00 AM

So, you have to pack four destinations into 12 days. Yes, it is doable but you will spend considerable time of your 12 days in trains, planes, stations, airports and taxis. As said, you need half a day for travelling between one destination and the next.

I do not understand your ending location, Santorini? Is it not Athens whre you are flying out? - If you give us more details about your flight in and out, we can give you better advice.

Anyway, if I had to cut one destination from the itinerary, I would cancel Santorini. At least, I would reduce the time in Santorini to get at least one full day (two nights) in Athens, if not more.

Venice deserves at least two full days and Rome three full days.
Feb 29th, 2016, 04:56 AM

During the summertime there can be direct flights from Italy to Santorini. I am never sure which Italian airports have them, and when they start and finish, but you can usually find that information by looking on travel websites for Santorini.

If there are non-stop flights from Rome or Venice to Santorini during your time frame, it might save you some transfer time to take advantage of them, even if it means ending your trip in Athens.

Pantheon in is Rome, Parthenon is in Athens at the Acropolis. Both are worth a major effort to see, as is the museum of the Acropolis, which can be seen the same day.

You can sometimes pick up a few extra sightseeing hours in the day in Italy if you move locations during the lunch hours, between 12 and 4. You'll be eating more sandwiches that way, but you'll be out of the heat of the sun, miss a lot of the daytrippers, and arrive at your destination in time to do some sightseeing and shopping, since most everything stays open until 7pm. Next morning you can have hours seeing the sights. Even if you are checking out of a hotel you can leave your luggage at the desk and pick it up later.

All that said, before you actually spend money on air tickets, you should double check what you want to see and do in the places you've mentioned, look at how much time is involved for real getting from place to place, and decide for yourself if you will be happy with the plan.

Search this Thread