Search

12 days (10 plus travel) in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 09:04 PM
DrT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 days (10 plus travel) in Italy

We are 2 very good girlfriends who are 50+. We are planning our first ever 12 days to Italy late September. One day will be eaten up by travel from LA (JFK) Rome (arriving early morning Day 2) and returning from Venice (JFK) LAX. We have been advised against a car in Italy so we will travel by trains primarily. We are seeking recommendations on 2 bedroom apartments in Rome (3 or 4 nights), Florence (1) and Venice (3 or 4 nights). Enroute to Venice from Florence we plan see Cinque Terra (1 night?) . Has anyone rented 2 bedroom apartments in either of these locations? If so, please share your recommendations, best way to secure rental and costs. Also best sites in Cinque Terra? Seems like the trains are the best route for traveling between our destinations?? Any suggestions?
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM

I loved the Cinque Terre, but with your limited time, you may wish to leave it off your list. It's a long train ride from there back to Venice. Go to www.trenitalia.com and type in the city names yourself to check train schedules (try "Monterosso" for one of the Cinque Terre villages and "Venezia"for Venice).

Rome - Florence - Venice is an easy train itinerary by fast trains. You might consider a stop in Bologna for a few hours for lunch, as the train line goes right through there; the food is amazing in that part of Italy.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 09:37 PM

If you haven't already booked, it may be easier to fly into Venice and out of Rome; otherwise, you might wind up with an early flight out of Venice and an expensive water taxi to get there on time.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 12:00 AM

I agree, with ten days you really only have time for 3 locations so I would drop cinque Terre, it takes too long to get there for your short trip. There aren't really any sites to see there...they are five tiny villages with hiking paths between so unless you are avid outdoors people the views are the only things of interest. Stick to the big 3 cities and add the extra night to Florence to give yourselves 1 full day there.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 12:52 AM

We stayed at the following on our trip in December. We travelled by train Venice - Florence - Rome (after arriving in Venice on overnight train from Paris). The fast, inter city trains are fantastic. I would be happy to go back to any of them - terrific locations and all special in their own way. We particularly enjoyed the apartment in Rome and the hotel in Florence. You will probably find it better to stay in an hotel if less than 4 nights - this is a fairly common minimum for apartments.

http://www.rentalinrome.com/campodef...ricalapartment

http://www.hotelscoti.com/index.html

http://www.hotelmarconi.it/eng/index.html
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 02:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, here's another vote for the Venice-Florence- Rome combination.

in the time you've got it'll work very well and give you a good taste of what Italy has to offer.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 04:52 AM

Still another vote to skip Cinque Terre on this trip. It is too long for a day trip and would require that you spend time on trains rather than in the Florence, a fabulous city. I would try to find a way to spend 3 nights in Florence. There is more to see and do there, IMO, than in either Rome or Venice. Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 05:02 AM

More in Florence than Rome?? I disagree but I guess it depends what you are interested in!
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 05:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to state your budget if you want suggestions for places to stay. Many apartments have a 3 night minimum so you will probably need a B&B or hotel.

As others have pointed out, with only 10 sightseeing days (really 9 as you will be very jetlagged arrival day and not absorb anything you see) you don't have time for CT. CT is about 3 hours travel from Florence and 6 hours to get to Venice from CT. By the time you add in the logistics of checking in and out of your hotel, getting to and from train stations at both ends, you've wasted a day of your vacation.

Plot your trip out day-by-day. List the travel and how much time it will take. One hotel night does not equal a sightseeing day. It takes two hotels nights to give you one full day in a place.

On arrival day, you will be jetlagged so just plan some outdoor sites that don't take much concentration.

For first time travelers, you might be better off in hotels where you will have desk service and can ask directions, etc.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 05:33 AM

You are trying to do to many places in limited time. I would definitely drop CT. I would also get 2 hotels vs apts for a first trip to have access to some info/support since your time is so limited.
Don;t think apt is realistic in FI - very few are available for 1 night. And since you are looking at 2 BR apts you obviously have a fairly generous budget (many travelers put 4 or 5 people in a 1 BR to save. A 2 BR apt is likely to cost more one double or 2 single hotel rooms.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oops, I'd missed that you were only planning on spending one night in Florence. IMO you'll regret it if you do.

given that you've got 11? nights, I would spend 3 in Venice, 4 in Florence, and 4 in Rome.