Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   11 year old girls & grandma to visit Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/11-year-old-girls-and-grandma-to-visit-paris-59786/)

Pam Jan 12th, 2000 08:39 AM

11 year old girls & grandma to visit Paris

My 11 year old grand daughters have finally shown an interest in visiting Paris, and I will be taking them in August for about 7 days. I have done a great deal of traveling, but never to France. Looking for ideas on reasonable priced place to stay, and fun things to see that might interest young girls. By the way I am a young grandma and should be able to keep up with long walks. Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Bob Brown Jan 12th, 2000 09:01 AM

August can be warm in the city; so you may want to consider a place that has air conditioning, which is not every hotel!! <BR>There have been many discussions of Paris hotels on this forum. I think a Forum search might turn up several older posts that are still valid. In general, you will pay close to $100 per night for 3 people in a room, evenin 2-star accommodations. I cannot help with the young girls bit; I have only sons and grandsons.

Beth Jan 12th, 2000 11:26 AM

We took our two young girls, 2&5 to Paris for 10 days last spring (we live in Europe) and it was great. I can only speak for their ages but some of my suggestions may help: Bateaux Mouche boat ride on the Seine was great, follow some of the "Madeline" sights from the books by Ludwig Bemelmans. My 5 year old loved pointing out the sights with her book in hand. We went to the menagerie in the botanical Gardens which was great. An illustration from the Madeline book si familiar and we took her picture syaing "Pooh, Pooh" to the Tiger (actually a lion now) I hate to admit this but there was a McD's right at the Metro stop for the menagerie which was well timed. My girls also loved the Tuileries Garden and the antique carosel rides, trampolines, and model sailboat renting all available at the garden. We ate lunches a lot at the Tuileries cafe or brought our own little picnic. We've not found many european restaurants catering to young children, although 11 is less trying than 2, I hope! My girls also liked seeing the Eifel Tower, especially from Trocadero and walking down through Champ de Mars. We never made it up to the Tower due to the crowds. We also loved the Musee d'Orsay and especially Degas' Ballerina sculpture. WE have a wonderful story book about that sculpture too. The girls and I had a fun shopping day too, going to several of the stores mentioned in our gold Fodors on Paris. There was a toy store, Printemps has great dolls and toys and there were several very reasonably priced clothing stores that I think went up to 12? Check the book. It is a wonderful city and I hope to go back many many more times, as does my 5 year old. We hope to make another trip in April. I hope this helps. Have a wonderful time. Beth

Beth Jan 12th, 2000 11:30 AM

I forgot two other things that were memorable. Please get the "Linea" book on Paris and her trip to Giverny. Linea is a young girl who travels with a friend to Paris and then on to Claude Monet's house in Giverny. Your girls will love reading the book and then following her steps to Giverny. Truely unforgetable experience for us. Then revisit his paintings in the d'Orsay. There is another good book called,"Paris Cat" which we actually bought in Paris. It has wonderful water colors of the the sights of Paris as it chases a lost cat. fun to read and then compare the sights. Good luck.

ilisa Jan 12th, 2000 11:34 AM

Beth, what is the name of the storybook you have about the Degas sculpture?

Pam Jan 12th, 2000 01:01 PM

Thanks Bob & Beth, your suggestions are great. I am planning to pick up some of the books you suggested and spend some time with the girls reading and preparing. Thanks again!! Any more info is appreciated. <BR>

Beth Jan 13th, 2000 07:58 AM

"Degas and the Little Dancer" by Laurence Anholt ISBN 0-8120-6583-2 It is a lovely book! Beth