Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

11 nights to spend in Italy - foodie/honeymoon trip

Feb 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

hello everyone,
We are going have 11 nights starting the 2nd week of May 2013 to spend in Italy for our honeymoon trip. We are in our 30s, active, and passionate about food.
We are thinking of arriving in Milan and possibly spend 2 nights there since we have points with the Hyatt Milan, then rent a car and explore around. We have a few area of interest in mind, including Piedmont, Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Bologna/Parma/Modena.
If you would kindly suggest some possible route that link couple of these area into a 11 day trip it would be great. We wouldn't mind driving but could do with train traveling as well, esp in Bologna.
Thank you for all your help.
Feb 15th, 2013, 08:49 PM

If you want to visit those specific areas, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend 2 of your 11 nights in Milan.

In addition, your itinerary may depend on available flights. For example, we often fly Lufthansa to Italy. We fly into Frankfurt, and from there we can connect almost anywhere. So you could fly into Turin (in the Piemonte), rent a car there for travel around the area (especially the Barolo region), then drive to Bologna and drop your rental car there. I'm not familiar with Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, but I would guess you could rent another car, explore that area, then depart back home from Trieste.
Feb 15th, 2013, 10:09 PM

Eleven nights is only 10 days. I think you need to pick two out of the three regions you mentioned, either Piemonte and Emilia-Romagna or Emilia-Romagna and Friuli-Venezia Giulia. You don't mention specifically where you want to go in these regions (other than "Bologna/Parma/Modena"), but I don't think you have time to explore all three regions in 10 days. FWIW, I could spend 10 days in just one of these three regions.

Although I like Milan more than most, I agree with Lexma90's suggestion to skip it and look into flying into a city that's actually IN one of the areas you want to explore and then out of another city.
Feb 15th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

thank you for your response. I will scratch Milan out of this itinerary and focus on Piedmonte and one more area instead.
Feb 16th, 2013, 04:48 AM

If you are passionate about food, choose Bologna and environs. You are unlikely to find better food anywhere in Italy.