Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 11-Night Turkey Itinerary, then sailing to Italy

11-Night Turkey Itinerary, then sailing to Italy

Dec 31st, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

11-Night Turkey Itinerary, then sailing to Italy

I originally thought that I would have 14 nights in Turkey. Due to wanting to keep transport costs low as possible and not wanting to stress out my father too much, I will have 11 nights in mid-June.

I will be cutting out Cappadocia Turkey sounds like a country that I will want to return to many times so I will save it for another trip.

We will start with 3 nights in Istanbul, and then will rent a car. I want to work my way from Istanbul to Cesme, where we will sail to Brindisi in Italy.

What I know so far: I want to see Ephesus, Bodrum (but probably not stay there as it sounds like it may be too much of a party town) and Pammukale. We like to be on or near really beautiful, not-so-developed beaches while being able to tour ancient sites.

I've saved many postings over the months on Turkey, but am wondering what everyone may suggest itinerary-wise? I am not a fan of 1-night stopovers but will do it when it's worth it.

On the 12 day we will have an entire day as the ferry from Cesme doesn't leave until 11:45pm.

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts!
Dec 31st, 2004, 07:42 AM

Hi AP6380,

I wish you go to CAPPADOCIA first because that is the one of the highlight of Turkey. Istanbul to Cesme is not long drive so I may recommend you (IF YOU LOVE ARCHAELOGY and HISTORY) drive to CANAKKALE and visit TROIA (maybe you went to movie) you may stay overnight then drive to PERGAMUM one of another highligh of Turkey visit city of ancient Pergamum (New name is BERGAMA) and Asclepion (Hospital) which is one of the oldest hospital in the world. Then you can continue to drive to Ephesus (Selcuk). I am sure you will pass CESME but to visit EPHESUS which is another highlight of Turkey is worth to visit you may stay 2 nights in Selcuk or Kusadasi. There is WATERPARK and nice beach in Kusadasi for your rest and see some ruins. Don't forget to visit ARTEMISSION (There is nonthing to see but this ruin was the 7 wanders of the world (Turkey has 2 seven wanders of the world)

After ephesus you may visit Prienne, Miletus, and Didyma ruins on the way to Bodrum. You may stay overnight in Bodrum because Bodrum castle and UNDERWATER Museum and MAUSOLEUM (one of the 7 wanders of the world) are worth to visit.

Then you may drive to CESME for your ITALY trip

Have a wonderful HAPPY and HEALTY 2005

Sinan Akdeniz
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:29 PM

It's been 10 yrs. since we "did" Turkey, but I remember Pergamum as a highlight. Bodrum has a lovely museum and lots of restaurants along the water. DOn't know the hotel scene currently but if you chose carefully and reserve in advance you can probably avoid the "party" scene.
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:50 PM

We stayed at the Antique Teatro Hotel in Bodrum. It was on the hill with spectacular views, yet easy access down to the main part of town. The rooms were beautiful and they served breakfast on each "private" terrace under the bougainvilla in front of each room. It couldn't have been nicer. It was one of the most expensive places we stayed at about $175 a night, but worth every penny.
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:50 AM

If you can do it, include Cappodocia, it was amazing and Bodrum does have a lot to offer and you only have to party if you want to !

Search this Thread