Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   11 hours in Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/11-hours-in-amsterdam-207996/)

Amie Apr 27th, 2002 06:48 PM

11 hours in Amsterdam

I've got an 11 hour layover in Amsterdam on May 24th, and want to know what I absolutely "must see" while I'm there.<BR><BR>I'm a 40 year old married woman - so please try to think of something other than drugs and hookers - thanks! ;-)

Lee Apr 27th, 2002 07:10 PM

You have told us that you don't like drugs and hookers but failed to mention what you do like. If you do a search on this forum for "Amsterdam sights" you should discover plenty to keep you occupied for the scant hours allotted.

Shannon Apr 27th, 2002 07:19 PM

For the short time you are there, I would go to the Rijksmuseum, check out the Rembrandts (including the unbelievable "Nightwatch"), Hals, and other Dutch painters, then if you can get tickets, head over to the Van Gogh museum, which will still be having the special exhibition going on. From there, you should be able to catch a quick canal cruise if the weather is decent, walk down the Damrak, grab some street food (including lovely french fries with mayo), and head back to the airport.

Doug Apr 27th, 2002 07:23 PM

Dear Amie: You have wriiten that you have an 11 hour layover and you would like some suggestons of some things to do in Amsterdam. The most important factor in the answer depends on where you start and finish the layover. If the answer is Schipol ( airport) then your options are limited by time and distance from Amsterdam. If the layover is at the train station you could just walk around downtown and see many sights<BR>( Dam Square, Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank House). From the airport your option would likely be to take one of the canal cruises. They are usually 2-3 hours and cover most of the sights.

duh Apr 27th, 2002 07:32 PM

I'm trying to think of a single possible itinerary which would put a person traveling by train in Amsterdam for an 11 hour layover, when that isn't their destination. It seems pretty obvious that Amie is talking about the airport, not the train station -- but the airport is what? Maybe 12 minutes from Centraal station by train? So what's the difference?

Uncle Sam Apr 27th, 2002 08:54 PM

Well, she probably doesn't really have an 11 hour layover. She will probably need to be back at the airport 2 hours early to clear security. <BR><BR>Then she will need to take the train to and from Schipol to the main train station, and that might take about an hour. So she really has a 7 to 8 hour window of opportunity.<BR><BR>I would suggest the Rijksmuseum, Ann Frank's House and the Van Gogh museum. Maybe sneak in a canal cruise as well, but this may be rushed.<BR><BR>However, if I were in Amsterdam and had time to see only one thing it would be "The Nightwatch"...one of the most incredible paintings I have ever seen!<BR><BR>US

Dutch Apr 28th, 2002 12:16 AM

Of course the layover could be waiting for the shuttle bus from the train station to the KD lines Rhine cruise lines! This could be one of many possibilities.

Sjoerd Apr 28th, 2002 12:32 AM

Do a search for "Amsterdam layover" and some good posts will show up.