My wife and I are going to Italy for our 5 year wedding anniversary for 11 days in late May. We have both been to the big three, of Rome, Venice and Florence, on post-college/study abroad trips, although not in 10+ years.
The trip is focused around food, and we have a preference for less-touristy smaller towns/cities. We're expecting to use the trains to get around, but would like to have 2-3 places as home base, with a couple of day trips (and can rent a car as needed).
We're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the many choices. We're flying into and out of Milan, and are planning to stay in Northern (and possibly Central) Italy. We're thinking of the following:
Bologna / Emilia Romagna
Cinque Terre (1 day, possibly walking the trail)
This seems like too many places for 11 days. What would people cut? Anything missing? (again, focus on the food On Google Maps, this looks reasonably close together. Will there be a train route that doesn't require too much backtracking?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AOL Password Reset Contact 1:800:570:1233 AOL Tec*h supp0rt care ak47??
- 2 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 3 Current plan for March trip
- 4 First time in Spain
- 5 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 6 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 7 Barcelona to Malaga
- 8 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 9 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 10 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 11 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 12 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 13 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 14 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 15 Dublin for St. Patricks Day
- 16 Recommendations Budget hotel Paris
- 17 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 18 beware of robbed in Milan
- 19 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 20 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 21 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 22 Once upon a time in Italy
- 23 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 24 GTG Paris December 2017
- 25 Paris November 2017