11 day on land FRANCE In Paris, out Nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone veteran recommend an ideal 11 Days Road trip in France? We will have 11 FULL days. Flying in to Paris and flying our from Nice. We only need to arrive to Nice on the last full day to fly out. We've been to Nice before, so it's not a must to spend lots of time there. My husband has never been to Paris though. We are active, flexible and adventurous people, so we are up for anything. We like to experience the local food, beautiful charming villages and sceneries. Museums and typical city experience is not a must since this is France. We did join a Fat Tire tour for a day trip to Versailles.

I am open for some train and car rental. We just don't know what will make the best sense on when to do train and where to pick up and drop off the rental car. My concern is that if we do train as part of our itinerary, where will we put the luggage in between places if we won't have a hotel at the particular stop.

Any advice will be MUCH appreciated!!!!

One more question, anyone knows of the Kiss Me In Paris photographer? Contemplating in hiring them to have a quick photo shoot for our 20th anniversary.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 09:18 PM

what are you more interested in? coastal? vineyards? mountains? lakes? tell us more about the kind of scenery you'd like to see...??
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

We are not wine drinkers, so big vineyards are not on the top of our list. We do like the charming quaint places, old farm vineyards, mountains and lakes. Just the best of France.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 10:00 PM

www.kissinparis.com/
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 10:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
What time of year is your trip?
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 06:45 AM

What time of year is your trip? The Route des Grandes Alpes would be great - but not in Nov through May.

Do you like or dislike one-nighters??? Do you want to spend time in larger cities like Lyon, Dijon, Avignon, Aix - or smaller country villages?

How much time do you want to spend in the car each day getting from one destination to another.

We typically spend 1-2 weeks in a gite someplace and then move on to another gite & spend 1-2 weeks there. Just this past June we landed in Nice & spent 3 nights there. Then we drove to the Ardeche & spent 2 weeks there. Then 1 week in the Hautes Alpes followed by 1 week in the Mont Blanc area. Then we drove to Annecy, returned the car, and took the train to Paris. Is this your kind of vacation. or do you like to move around more??.

Any "must sees"
-Loire Chateaux
-Normandy WWII stuff
-Brittany coastline
-Lyon
-Burgundy (Dijon, Beaune, Vineyards, Castles)
-Annecy & the Alps
-Alsace
-Pays Basque and the Pyrenees
-Languedoc and the Gorges du Tarn, Cathars stuff
-Provence & Roman Ruins, lavender fields, farmer's markets
-Dordogne with cave paintings, castles, rivers, beautiful countryside
-Cote d'Azur - St Tropez, Cassis

Our two favorite regions in France are the Dordogne and Provence. If I were a first timer, I would:
- Spend 3-4 nights in Paris
- Take the train to Brive la Gaillarde, rent a car, visit nearby Collonges la Rouge, then drive to the Dordogne/Sarlat area and spend 3-4 night there.
- Get on the Autoroute and head towards Provence. Visit Carcassonne along the way. Spend 3-4 nights in Provence
- Drive to Nice, return the car, and head home.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 12:00 PM

Agree that Dordogne region is a great place to start. Charming little towns. River. History. Gorgeous scenery.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 02:42 PM

<i> 11 day on land FRANCE In Paris, out Nice
Posted by: vincelanier on Jul 20, 16 at 9:33pm
We like to experience the local food, beautiful charming villages and sceneries.</i>

Matches my preferences also. I would go Burgundy and Savoie. Driving gives you the freedom to visit those villages as you amble about. Keep your eye out for auberges along the country roads. You will get fantastic meals at very reasonable prices. The Michelin Red Guide can help. Michelin maps are outstanding. You can pick up what you need at the bookstores on Blvd. St. Michel in Paris. Michelin Green Guides in English may not be available so you should get those at home before you go. The Green Guides have recommended driving tours. If you haven't driven in Europe before have a peek at http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap18/auto-1.htm.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 08:40 AM

Burgundy is not just wine:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...755059630/show

add the Provence:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...404539441/show

and you'll have enough for 11 days.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 10:50 AM

We just don't know what will make the best sense on when to do train and where to pick up and drop off the rental car.>

How about blowing along at nearly 200 mph from Paris to Avignon by TGV and picking up a rental car there - the heart of tourist Provence and so so many neat places in a compact area.

Drive to Nice or return the car and take the train there.

Advance booking on trains can save a ton - www.voyages-sncf.com for self-booking - for lots of good info on French trains check www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - check the latter's online European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of itinerary suggestions in France.