Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10th Arrondissement-Is it where tourists go and is it safe?

Jun 2nd, 2000, 10:00 PM
Gloria

My colleague and I are leading a group of 36 students and their parents to Paris in July and we are traveling with EF Educational Tours. We will be staying at the EST HOTEL (49 Boulevard de Magenta/5 minutes from the Gare de l'est) and are most keen to know what this hotel and its surroundings is like. We have read that this district is the "grimmest part of Paris" and that safety can be of concern. If you have any information regarding this district and/or hotel, please advise me. We need to know the facts (be they good or bad) as we will demand that EF find us alternate accommodation should the hotel and/or area prove unsatisfactory. Thank you.

Jun 3rd, 2000, 02:27 AM
Maira

I don't know about the hotel but check out the following site:
http://wfc.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en

On this site, you type the street addres and it will show the whole street up and down with pictures and what type of businesses/stores are on it. Incredible source of info.

If you do try it, do you mind posting back your impressions?

BTW, I saw your other post in French. Cool.

Jun 3rd, 2000, 03:06 AM
Lu B.

Wow. What a very 'cool' website! Frankly, I had a great time "revisiting" some of the places where I had been in Paris! (And, where I am going in the fall!)

Jun 3rd, 2000, 04:01 AM
s.fowler

I did a search on one of the hotel websites. The only information I can find is that the hotel is a 2 star one. Which means basic, but not rock bottom I used the http://wfc.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en site and the street and ambience look fine if not charming.

On my first trip to Paris [on a university trip in 1962] we ended up in a hotel on Blvd Rochechourart - metro Place Pigalle.. the toilet down the hall was "turkish" -i.e. two treads and a hole in the floor. Because we all had big handbags the locals thought we were "ladies of the night" -- And we survived

Jun 3rd, 2000, 09:26 AM
elaine

Hi Gloria
I didn't realize you also posted in English, I briefly and poorly tried responding to your French post.
The hotel is not in an area I would choose to stay in. It is not convenient or central enough for my preference. I haven't seen it to
offer an opinion of its "grimness", but I can tell you that with so many choices available, there is no reason to stay in an iffy area. See what else they can find for you.

Sep 8th, 2001, 11:29 AM
just my opinion

Isn't it sad when people post and get back really good feedback and you never hear from them again, not even to say thanks?

So rude.