Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   10th Anniversary in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/10th-anniversary-in-italy-875175/)

RolandFan Jan 25th, 2011 04:36 PM

10th Anniversary in Italy

My wife has never been to Italy and has always tried to get me to go there. I'm planning to surprise her this year for our 10th anniversary and wanted some input on an itinerary.

I'm planning on about 10 days. Rome is a must and I'm thinking of spending a couple nights (including our actual anniversary) on Lake Como at either Grand Hotel Serbelloni or Grand Hotel Tremezzo.

So the question is where else should I go. I was thinking of flying into Milan (from Chicago), spending a couple of nights, going to Lake Como for a couple of nights, hitting Florence for a couple of nights then finishing up in Rome and flying home from there.
How does that strike you?

I know we can't go everywhere, but I'm a little bummed about not getting to Venice or the Amalfi Coast.

zeppole Jan 25th, 2011 04:57 PM

You could really be making a mistake surprising your wife with a trip whose significant features - your arrival and departure airports -- are already a done deal.

Surprise your wife with a big fat Italian guidebook, a "voucher" for the tickets, a blank check made out to "Italy" and a solemn vow to let her design the Italian trip of her dreams.

Have fun taking it with her. Don't plan it for her.

That's my 2 cents -- but you're married to her! If you think she'd love you all the more for surprising her, ignore me. But unless you know for sure she won't have to bite her tongue wishing you'd asked her first where she wanted to go -- think twice about letting a message board plan her dream trip.

jscarbary Jan 25th, 2011 06:14 PM

My husband surprised me with a trip to Paris for our 10th. He was the one who was surprised when he found out that I knew. The tickets were supposed to go to his Mom's house but they came to our house and I opened the mail. He had the dates picked and the hotel narrowed down to two. He had one must see, Jim Morrison's grave, I got to plan the rest of what we were going to see. I say buy the tickets and book the hotels, but give her enough advance notice so that she can have time to research so that she can decide what she wants to see. Just knowing that you want to take her for the vacation that she's been wanting to do will make her so happy.

I would, however, make fewer stops. Stay longer in each place and have time to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and watch the people go by.

Happy Anniversary and have a GREAT time in Italy!

bobthenavigator Jan 25th, 2011 06:37 PM

You have a good plan and you can get a ton of help right here.
Last year we did our 50th on Lago Como---why not your 10th?

Sassafrass Jan 25th, 2011 07:05 PM

First off, you sound like a wonderful and loving husband. Bravo for wanting to do all this for your wife.

If you were just going to one major city (say Rome or Paris) for a week, then I might say, ok, but you are going to several places in Italy. I would make sure I made it to her favorite. Does your wife have any big dream place she has always wanted to see in Italy? For me it was Venice and the AC. If she has a dream place, and you are missing it, how would she feel about that plan?

When are you going? The time of year would make a difference for me in deciding where to go.

Also, personally, I would trade Milan for Venice anytime; and, not to sound ungrateful, but I would really, really, really not like my DH to plan a whole trip, especially to Italy, without my input.

The trip, itself, is a great surprise, but the planning is too much, IMHO, for her not to have more input.

Just a note on this. Please take it as it is intended, a kindly observation. Without even realizing it, many people, hoping to please their loved one, give something they think is wonderful and would really enjoy themselves. My DH used to surprise me all the time. I finally figured out that he loves surprises. He did it out of love and thought because he liked them I would too. I pretty much hate them. Lots of things are like that.

CYESQ Jan 25th, 2011 10:01 PM

Roland I agree with Zep and Sass. Get the tickets and then get input from Mrs. Roland as it is her anniversary too! I tend to be a planning freak and would absolutely hate it if my husband (even a loving caring husband) or anyone else for that matter, planned out a whole trip without my input. Have fun planning it all together and then enjoy your wonderful anniversary trip.

Laura147 Jan 26th, 2011 05:06 AM

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! My husband and I are also planning a trip to Italy for our 10th anniversary. We are spending time in Rome and then on the Amalfi Coast this July. I agree with all that have suggested planning the trip together. We are enjoying some quality time together pouring through guidebooks and the various websites. Have fun and enjoy!

qwovadis Jan 26th, 2011 05:23 AM

First congrats going over with my wife

for our 36th this spring very romantic in many areas

we try to visit every year and have made it most years.

First RT Milan(MXP)

will save a lot over in MXP out Rome usually

www.farecompare.com good air booking tips will save a bunch.

Hopping trains locally the best way to go...

For me best cheapest in/out Milan

www.bellagio.info

www.venic-tourism.com

Florence Rome Portofino www.metropole.it

Milan...

Hotels based on budget... www.betterbidding.com

for cheap 5 stars based on budget in major cities

I save a tonne...

Happy Journey,

Sidny Jan 26th, 2011 05:36 AM

Agree with Sass that I would prefer Venice to Milan...and it's only about 3 hours between the two via train. Maybe you train from Milan to Venice after arriving from Chicago for your first couple of days before heading back to Milan/Como? Or I'm sure someone else has a less back-tracky suggestion, I haven't had coffee yet this morning. Just wanted to get my vote in for Venice!

Delaine Jan 26th, 2011 07:26 AM

I applaud your romantic wish to surprise your wife, but agree with those who have mentioned that she may wish to have some input on where you go. I know I would.

I also agree with those who have suggested trading Venice for Milan. In my opinion, Venice is much more romantic than Milan. Venice (as well as Rome) also has its share of designer shops if that was a draw to Milan. I'm going to Venice for my third time this year, whereas I have been content so far with one visit to Milan.

I have not stayed at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, but I did visit the hotel, which was beautiful. I am considering a couple of nights there on my next trip to northern Italy. I also like the fact that it is in Bellagio, which I think is charming.