Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   101 Great Things to Do in Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/101-great-things-to-do-in-venice-277696/)

geith Dec 4th, 2002 11:40 PM

101 Great Things to Do in Venice

since the Paris version of this was such a hit and I'm going to Venice, why not? have at it...

meg Dec 5th, 2002 02:05 AM

Walk along the Zattere eating icecream; boat trip to Torcello, gazing at the Duomo there whilst sitting in Atilla's chair; visit to the Peggy Guggenheim museum; getting lost; view from the tower of San Giorgio

Topper Dec 5th, 2002 08:36 AM

Please add more

Meg Dec 5th, 2002 09:49 AM

Visit to the Pescheria (fish market)near the Rialto early in the morning (they're packing up by 11am)/Stand in front of Titian's Assumption of the Virgin in the 'Frari' church/see the Carpaccio paintings of St George and the dragon, St Tryphon and St Jerome in the frieze at the exquisite Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni; see the statue of Colleoni, a mercenary whose coat of arms includes 3 testicles! (what a man) outside San Giovanni e Paolo -- and on and on

elaine Dec 5th, 2002 09:57 AM

Venice is my favorite place in the world and yet I can't get too interested in this topic. Here's why.<BR>For me, unlike other popular cities I've visited, Venice doesn't add up in terms of usual sightseeing. Oh, it has museums, and many churches with wonderful works of art, and of course there's the Doge's Palace, the Basilica, the Rialto bridge, Torcello, and the Ghetto. But for me, Venice is much more than the sum of its parts. I am usually a compulsive sightseer with lists and schedules, and yet if all I ever did on future visits to Venice was wander around, sit with a gelato, and then wander around some more, I could be very happy.

Bob Dec 5th, 2002 10:54 AM

The above poster is correct. Venice is a great place for just wandering around...especially at night after the day tripper crowd departs. If you go to Venice you must stay in town and overnight. It is not a day trip town.<BR><BR>Favorite things to do? <BR><BR>Sit at one of the tables in St Marks Square, order an expensive beer or wine and listen to the music and watch the people go by. The drinks are expensive but you are paying for one great location.<BR><BR>Wandering the streets and looking in the shops. One favorite we discovered is Max's. It is near Harry's Bar and has some handcrafted, unusual items.<BR><BR>Just getting on one of the vaporettos and working your way to the bow seats as people get off. Then stay on the vaporetto and watch Venice float by you from a front row seat. Buy the 3 day pass and you can get on and off all you want to.<BR><BR>This has me wanting to head back.......

lynn Dec 5th, 2002 11:20 AM

Yes! Please add more.<BR><BR>We'll be in Venice for 5 nights the first week of January and I can't wait!

Cheryl Dec 5th, 2002 03:25 PM

I agree that Venice is a city to just wander in and around and not get caught up in the 'must sees' Dont get me wrong there are wonderful museums and shops etc... however, Venice the city IS the art...look all around,and if you have ever looked at a Canaletto painting you will realize that nothing has changed physically in Venice for hundreds of years! (Except that some of the boats have motors now!)<BR>Through your wanderings you will experience the Jewish Ghetto, the Arsenale, the Fish Market, the campos teeming with families, the Grand Canal, the palazzos and the mystery of Venice at night.<BR>Sorry I do get carried away about my home away from home.

robert Dec 5th, 2002 04:48 PM

Want to see locals? get up early!(sunrise!) wander around,go into a few cafes,99% of the people you see will be locals going to work, starting to open their business etc.<BR>observe. example taking a vaporetto and noticing that many locals were carrying flowers,I was wondering why. when we stopped I realized we were at a cemetery.

MelissaL Dec 5th, 2002 06:55 PM

Dance with your husband (or significant other) to the music from the orchestras of the Cafes in Piazza San Marco at night...<BR>(big sigh)

tess92122 Dec 5th, 2002 07:18 PM

Venice is magic, pure and simple. It's a living theater where you are the protagonist. Sunshine in Venice, fog in Venice, rain in Venice -- pure enchantment. The canals, the bridges, the color of the buildings, the flowers on the windowsills, the reflection in the water, getting lost, getting found, finding a treasure in a shop... Oh, well, time to go again....

Sue Dec 7th, 2002 12:49 AM

- Take the secret itinerary tour of the Doge's palace<BR>- Have a picnic in midwinter overlooking the Guidecca canal<BR>- find tiny local restaurants and soak up the atmosphere<BR>- avoid St Mark's Square between the hours of 8am and 10pm<BR>- ride the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal<BR>- visit the Frari church (buy a Chorus pass for 16Euros and you can get into about 8 or 10 churches)<BR>- wander Dorsoduro<BR>- eat overlooking the Grand Canal for less than 10 Euros per head (Pizzeria at the foot of the Accademia Bridge)<BR>- look up - some of the chimneys are very fancy in Venice<BR>- walk until you feel you can't walk another step<BR>- get lost....but just keep wandering rather than trying to find where you are. You're bound to trip over something interesting<BR>- book for dinner on Saturday and Sunday (Saturday's busy, lots of places are closed Sunday), and be sure to visit some of the restaurants on the Slow Travellers lists (www.slowtrav.com)<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Doris Dec 7th, 2002 08:12 AM

If you have an extra day, I'd recommend a trip to Murano and Burano....Murano if you are interested in Venetian glass and Burano (the &quot;lace island&quot;) is known for its brightly painted houses. A few years ago, my family spent a couple of cold, rainy days in Venice, which we loved, of course, but the gloom was getting to us. When we arrived at Burano, the sun just happened to come out at the same time. It was a wonderful sight.

cg Dec 7th, 2002 10:29 AM

The Tolentini church near the train station for a view of Venetian War times, ie., the Austrian canon shot still embedded in the church wall.<BR><BR>The Museo Correr and the adjacent Archeological Museum, big foot, old games, ancient Venice pictures, maps, etc. There is a 3-d map of Venice that was replicatd for teh front desk of the Venetian in Las Vegas. <BR><BR>The Naval History Museum near the Arsenale. <BR><BR>Wander, wander, wander.

Julie Dec 7th, 2002 02:45 PM

What a great thread. So many of you have captured the spirit of the place which is also one of my five or six favorite places on earth. Venice is so unique and so magical. Just being there is the thing to do.

ami Dec 7th, 2002 03:11 PM

Just GET LOST.<BR><BR>Yes, start walking everyday to another direction, and get lost, you won't be able to go too far anyway, 'cause Venice is not a big place.<BR><BR>Be careful about spending money there (and in Italy generally), always check prices, argue about the price, don't let the locals take advantage of you. Local restaurants have their people outside trying to push you into their restaurants... Some of these can be VERY expensive, not because of their superior food, but because of WHERE they are located, and the level of &quot;table Tax&quot; they charge... which can be hefty.<BR><BR>Don't carry heavy luggage there, use comfortable shoes, there is quite a walk between the &quot;water buses&quot; and the hotels, and the pavement is &quot;old style&quot; European.<BR><BR>I suggest you read as nuch as you can about Venice. if you're driving there, there's a whole &quot;bible&quot; to learn about it, including where to park at the entrance to Venice.<BR><BR>Have a great trip. Get lost...

kite Dec 7th, 2002 04:03 PM

Walking on the elevated sidewalks on the Piazza San Marco and Riva Schiavone(sp?) during Acqua Alta can be fun, at least for a while.

topper Dec 13th, 2002 12:46 PM

Topping for Dina.