Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   100 Best Things To Do In London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/100-best-things-to-do-in-london-708121/)

sunsurfsand May 26th, 2007 03:01 AM

100 Best Things To Do In London

The one on Rome is fabulous.

Can we do one on London to help with the planning of my trip please?

Cheers.

isabel May 26th, 2007 04:07 AM

1. Watch the sun set over Big Ben and the Houses of Parliment from the other side of Westminster Bridge - then walk along Jubilee Embankment.

2. Take in a play

3. Ride all over the city on a double decker bus (not the tourist bus, any regular one)

4. Watch the street performers and feel the buzz at Covent Garden and then explore the old streets around it.

5. Walk across the Millennium Bridge - and then walk back and forth across all of them

6. Check out Postman's Park - a, an unassuming park that is a "memorial to ordinary people" with tiles commemorating the heroic acts of ordinary London citizens in the past.

7. Have a picnic on the embankment opposite the Tower of London - with great view of Tower Bridge also.

8. Walk from Kensington Gardens, through Hyde Park to St James Park

9. Check out all the museums - they are free so you can spend as little time as you like without feeling you've "wasted" anything - and get a sampling. The V&A is the best but the National Gallery and the British Museum are also wonderful.

10. Go to Portobello Market on Saturday morning.

I could do the whole 100 myself but I guess I'll let someone else have a go at it.

LESLIEMOMOF6 May 26th, 2007 04:43 AM

I am quite new so I really just have a question-how could I find the one on Rome that the op mentions? Thanks
Leslie

andasamo May 26th, 2007 05:02 AM

Leslie - here's the link to the Rome list:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443219

Carrybean May 26th, 2007 05:21 AM

11. Eat. Wonderful restaurants & just about any type of food you could think of are available.

12. Enjoy afternoon tea.

Apres_Londee May 26th, 2007 06:04 AM

13. Don't forget about the British Library, which is free of charge- visit the Sir John Ritblat Gallery, where a small example of what you can see includes:

originals of the Magna Carta, the Gutenburg Bible, and Shakespeare's First Folio; one of da Vinci's notebooks; working manuscripts of Mozart, Bach, and Chopin; scribblings by Joyce, Austen, and Wordsworth- and so, so much more

GodsGift May 26th, 2007 06:14 AM

All the suggestions above are great. I love London, there's so much to do!

13. Have breakfast at the Wolesley.

14. There is an art film house in Mayfair, I believe it's Curzon Cinema Mayfair. It has the latest independent films.

15. To get more specific re the museums, my kids and I adore the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. Both are fascinating.

16. Feed the ducks and geese at the Italian fountain side of Hyde Park.

17. Shop! London is one of the best places to shop, even with the high pound. My faves: Harrods, Harvey Nic's, Selfridges, Brown's, South Moulton Street, Fenwick's, Bond Street, Fulham Road, King's Road, Notting Hill...

18. One of the first things I do when I get to London is to buy some yummies at Harrod's food court deli: sundried tomatoes in olive oil, anchovy rolls, foie gras, sticky French cheese...mmm oh and of course, Krispy Kreme doughnuts (not yet available in my part of the world)

19. A second vote for Covent Garden, which we visit on Sundays. In fact, I always try to schedule my stay in London to coincide with at least one Sunday.

20. Taking in a bird's eye view of the city from the London Eye.

21. Pet the sting rays at the London Aquarium.

22. Get a facial or body treatment at the Mandarin Oriental spa.

23. Have the salmon tartare and the black cod miso at Nobu Berkeley.

24. Just one time, take a half day or full day tour of London's attractions.

25. Have lunch at the communal table at The Cheese Shop.

Apres_Londee May 26th, 2007 06:30 AM

26. Until December 31, 2007, some of Princess Diana's gowns are on display at Kensington Palace- including the one she wore when she danced with John Travolta.

tod May 26th, 2007 06:52 AM

Take in some spectacular gardens - Spring & Summer:

Queen Mary's Rose Garden in Regents Park.

Visit the Isabella Plantation when the Rhodadendrons are in bloom (early Spring) in Richmond Park.

Wander down the Pergola Walk at The Hill, North End Way, NW3, Hampstead/Golders Green Tube.
Found in a charming garden created by the Edwardian soap manufacturer and patron of the arts, Lord Leverhulme.
Best in Summer.

jody May 26th, 2007 07:06 AM

31. Borough Market on a Fridaya afternoon

32. Drinks or Lunch on the terrace of somerset House overlooking the Thames and with a view of The Eye

33. Sunday antiques Fairs at various hotels or at Kensington Town Hall

clehrman May 26th, 2007 08:35 AM

bookmarking - thanks

logandog May 26th, 2007 12:19 PM

Pubs!

nbodyhome May 26th, 2007 01:26 PM

Sainsbury's, Waitrose, ASDA, Marks and Spencer. :)

London Walks

LCBoniti May 26th, 2007 01:38 PM

also bookmarking

RosemaryM May 26th, 2007 04:35 PM

Take a waterbus on the Regent's Canal from Little Venice (Warwick Avenue tube) to Camden Lock. It's a great way to rest the feet after all that walking. You go around Regent's Park and past London Zoo. Then you can explore Camden market. On a good day it is a great slow lane option.
Rosemary

Dottee May 26th, 2007 05:02 PM

I sat in front of a roaring fire in the lobby of my hotel one evening enjoying hot toddies with a few friends as the rain and fog settled over the city. Someone called for a plate of scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam. I believe they came straight from heaven. I wouldn't trade that cold and rainy night in London for all the summer days filled with the crowds and the heat.

thereyet May 26th, 2007 07:42 PM

39. Take in a match at Lord's cricket grounds.

thereyet

carolyn May 27th, 2007 11:44 AM

40. See the Dennis Severs house.

41. Attend a service at St. Paul's to hear the boys' choir.

USNR May 27th, 2007 11:51 AM

42. Avoid Mme. Tussaud's Wax Works.

photoole May 27th, 2007 01:48 PM

Buy an Oyster Pass to travel by tube. It's the most convenient way to pay for your trips and is explained at www.tfl.gov.uk