Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   10 yr. anniversary trip--husband's 1st trip to Europe! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/10-yr-anniversary-trip-husbands-1st-trip-to-europe-289604/)

chelley Feb 16th, 2003 07:16 PM

10 yr. anniversary trip--husband's 1st trip to Europe!

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary in September. We love to travel and want to plan a romatic vacation in Europe. I've visited London and Paris briefly and studied in Spain one summer. But, my husband has NEVER been to Europe!! This is my 1st visit to the Fodor's website, but I've found a lot of helpful information. I'm interested most in Italy and have read a lot about the magical charm of Venice. Any ideas for a 12-14 day trip? We love beautiful scenery and the water...We love good wine and food. Any other suggestions for a romantic anniversary trip besides Italy? Your suggestions are most appreciated! Thanks.

BATUFFOLINA Feb 16th, 2003 07:25 PM

Venice is worth a 3-4-day stay, no more (including the visits to Murano and Burano islands). If you like beautiful views, good wine and good food, I would suggets a mini cruise along the Brenta river. There are several mansions along this river, some of which were designed by the architect Palladio. Region Veneto is famous for its wines, try Valpollicella. Also worth to be visited in the region Veneto: Verona (the roman arena, Juliet's home), lake Garda (Sirmione, Garda, Peschiera are some of the villages around the lake and in this case i suggest to rent a car to go there. Approximate prices for a medium car are about 40-45 euros per day, but that varies according to the rental company). Trieste is also lovely to visit, especially the Miramare Castle, a beautiful castle facing the sea, where EVERY room has a view on the sea.If I have some more ideas I will post another message!

chelley Feb 16th, 2003 07:36 PM

thanks for the information! This definitely gives me a place to start. Is this a fine time to travel to Italy in September? Does it make much difference with regards to weather or other tourists if we go early or later in the month?<BR>And, one last question?.....I've always been a bit interested in Greece and the thought of visiting there. Is this too much (or even possible) to fit Italy and Greece into a 12-14 day trip? Or, would it be more relaxing to stay in Italy?

Art Feb 16th, 2003 07:49 PM

I think that September is the best time go go. There will be (somewhat) fewer tourists and the weather is generally still very good, but not opressivly hot like it can be in July-August. I agree with 4 days in Venice. <BR>Rome IMO is also a must see mostly due to the tremendous amount of history. Ville D'Esti would be a nice day trip from Rome. <BR><BR>I think that there is so much in Italy that Greece would be to much for this trip. <BR><BR>Start planning your next trip as sonn as you return.<BR><BR>Have a great anniversary.<BR>

Isobel Feb 17th, 2003 03:08 AM

My husband and I have been going to Italy for the past 3 years and think it is wonderful. July and August are extremely hot (September might be better - still warm but more comfortable).<BR>Venice is very romantic and is my favourite. We were there in August - lovely weather but very busy. Three orchesteras play in St Marks Square in the evening.<BR>You can sail to the islands of Murano and Burano. I would recommend nothing less than a 4 star hotel in Italy, unless someone can recommend anything less.I didnt like our hotel in Venice. My husband and I since met a lawyer in Rome who was from Los Angeles and he recommended the Columbina in Venice.<BR>Also Verona is a lovely city - small and compact. The Hotel Accademia is excellent and in the centre of town in a quiet side street. You can visit the outdoor opera in the open air arena, take a picnic and wine with you, you can visit 14th century gardens, you can take a day trip to the Dolomites and go up the mountain in a cable car (your hotel would arrange this trip for you). The scenery is wonderful. You can also visit Lake Garda from Verona - we did this on an organised bus trip and we visited all the small towns in Lake Garda - great day.<BR>Florence and Rome are also great places. <BR>Villa D'Esti is a great day out of Rome. We spent two weeks in Rome last year. (Colonna Palace Hotel) - right in the centre of the historial heart of Rome (very quiet). If I can give you any other info please let me know.<BR>Isobel

AP6380 Feb 17th, 2003 04:24 AM

This past summer I did a Greece/Italy combo. It was my 2nd year in a row to Greece, so I had seen the major sites in Athens already. We spent the 1st night outside of Athens, rented a car and drove to Meteora (2 nights), took the ferry from Igoumenitsa to Corfu (5 nights), then we took the 24 hour ferry to Venice where we spent 3 nights and flew out of there. It was wonderful. Obviously the trip will only give you a taste of each country, and you will want to return to both! It depends what you're focus is.

chelley Feb 17th, 2003 04:24 AM

Thanks for your input, Art!<BR><BR>Isobel, I'm very excited to learn of your trips to Italy. Thanks for the information. We're coming from the states and I'm not sure where we need to fly in and out of, but I want to secure airfare immediately. Also, how long were your trips? Do you think approx. 10 days in Italy is sufficient for our 1st trip? I think I'm &quot;sold&quot; on the magical, romantic description of the country, but can you think of any other place as wonderful to celebrate a 10 year wedding anniversary? <BR>I'd appreciate keeping in touch once I secure airfare, I'm interested in creating a specific itinerary and would love your input! <BR>Thanks for your time!

HowardR Feb 17th, 2003 04:58 AM

Italy's a great choice for September. Now you are faced with the wonderful problem of where to go. There is so much to choose from....and you almost can't go wrong!<BR>I would recommend that you buy a couple travel books on Italy (or take out a bunch from your library), read them and start making a list! 12-14 days gives you enough time to pick 3 or 4 destinations.

Wayne Feb 17th, 2003 05:43 AM

Your plan for 10 days to see Italy is probably a good start. But of course you realize you can't see even a fraction of Italy in 10 days. So follow the other writers and get yourself a couple of travel books, read about the features and charms of Italy, and make up your mind based on your own interests.<BR><BR>I would agree with everyone that Venice is a place to include in your visit. Other than Venice, once committed to go there, you should probably construct your itinerary around Venice as either a first or last stop on your trip. I always enjoy flying into Venice, taking a water taxi to my hotel from the airport (a bit expensive but part of the fun of arriving), and then renting a car at the Piazza Roma when departing to see other parts of the country. Since Venice is a place you don't want to use as a base for day-trips, it is also a good final destination to stay for a few days before departure. <BR><BR>After your reading, you will probably have a better feel for what interests you. My own inclination for your vacation would be to fly into Milan or Munich, rent a car, and drive across the lake and mountain country, ending the trip in Venice for the last few days. <BR><BR>Arriving in Milan, you could spend a day or two at lovely spots along Lakes Lugano, Maggiore, Como, Iseo, and Garda as you drive or train eastward. If you fly into Munich, you will cross the Alps into such neat places as Bolzano and the Dolomites, Cortina d'Ampezzo, and on to Lake Garda and finally Venice. Then you would leave from Venice to head for home.<BR><BR>Either of these itineraries would be extremely scenic and charming. I would have a hard time choosing between arrival in Munich or in Milan. If you do rent a car, you will get to experience more of the country than by train. Good luck.

chelley Feb 17th, 2003 05:48 AM

Thanks, AP6380, Wayne &amp; Howard. <BR>This is a much better &quot;jump start&quot; on my trip than I anticipated. I'm off the the library today. Then, I'd like to post a possible trip itinerary as soon as I can. Your input is much appreciated and valued! Take care!

Isobel Feb 17th, 2003 05:58 AM

Thanks for your acknowledgement of my comments. I havent been to any other country other than Austria, but I would say Italy is a good bet. The other place you can go in Italy, if you like the sea, is the Amalfi Coast- A place called Sorrento and the Island of Capri. Sorrento is about 3 hours on the train from Rome. Nearest airport to Sorrento is Naples. You go to the island of Capri by ferry or hydrofoil. However, my favourite is certainly Venice -I dont think you would be disappointed. You can sail the whole length of the Grand Canal <BR>in a vaporetti (local boat-the same as we would use a local bus) for a few euros and take in all the sights. You come off the boat at any stop you wish.<BR> If you buy one book on Italy (or go to your library) it will give you an idea of what you might like to see.<BR>10 days is fine for Italy if that is all you can manage but if you are wanting to stay in a few places I would say 12/14 days would be much better as you really waste 2 days travelling.<BR>You can travel from Florence to Rome in about 3 hours (by train). Eurostar is the best. Venice to Florence is about 2 and a half hours. Gives you an idea of distance.<BR>Any more questions, please ask.<BR>Isobel

chelley Feb 17th, 2003 07:29 AM

Thanks, Isobel for the additional comments. We'd like to use FF mileage and I'm nervous about waiting any longer for a Sept. trip. I'm going to get on the phone today and try to get some options of potential arrival/departure cities. I'd love your input on what I have to work with. I'll try to post them later on.<BR>Sincerely, Chelley

bobthenavigator Feb 17th, 2003 07:33 AM

I agree with Wayne. I would stay north for a first trip and include the Lakes.<BR>Here are some sample itineraires to consider:<BR>BOB the NAVIGATORS’ FIVE FAVORITE ITINERARIES<BR>___________________________________ _____<BR><BR>MAGICAL FAIRYLANDS:<BR> * Arrive and depart Munich--14 nites--May thru Sep.--car travel<BR> * ITINERARY: Salzburg, Dolomites, Venice, Lake Garda, Bavaria<BR>======================================= =====<BR>BELLA ITALIA:<BR> * Arr Milan, dep Venice--15 nites--car &amp; train travel--April thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: Lakes, Ligurian coast, Tuscany, Florence, Venice<BR>======================================== ====<BR>CLASSIC ITALIA:<BR> * Arrive &amp; depart Rome--12 to 14 nites--car &amp; train travel, all year<BR> * ITINERARY: Florence, Tuscan &amp; Umbrian hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>LA DOLCE VITA:<BR> * Arr &amp; dep Rome--12 nites--car &amp; train travel--March thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: Amalfi coast, Tuscan hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>OF ALPS &amp; LAKES:<BR> * Arrive and depart Zurich--12 nites--train travel--June thru Sep.<BR> * ITINERARY: Berner Oberland, Lugano, Lake Como, Luzern<BR><BR>THE VILLAGE SAMPLER: My personal favorites—north to south<BR>• Arr Milan &amp; dep Rome---car travel---plan 3 nites per location<BR>• Lake Orta, Castelrotto, Portovenere, Montalcino, Ravello<BR>===================================<BR>

HowardR Feb 17th, 2003 07:43 AM

Chelley,<BR>Since you mention that you are using FF miles for the flight, I would immediately check into availability. Your options are probably already limited.<BR>I would start there and find out exactly what choices you have for using you FF miles:<BR>*What dates are open?<BR>*What destinations, flightwise, are open?<BR>Once you know the above information, you can start planning the trip. For example, say, the only flight you can get goes to Rome, then you'd probably build a trip around that area, or at least part of the trip. Or, maybe, it's Milan. Then probably, Venice and one of the lake district might work best.<BR>Definitely check on FF availability first and go from there.

richardsonsnm Feb 17th, 2003 08:14 AM

portofino. go to LHW.COM and check out splendido hotel. VERY expensive but worth it. linguine and lobster over looking the mediteranean. AWESOME!!!!

Isobel Feb 18th, 2003 12:59 AM

Chelley: I see you have had some great advice on your impending trip to Italy. Could I make one comment. I dont know if you are intending to hire a car at any time. The Italians are crazy drivers - this may not bother you if you are used to driving in the states!!! We hired a car once but I am afraid I prefer to take the train from A to B and relax! However I must add that lots of people hire a car and enjoy it. Isobel

RobertR Feb 18th, 2003 09:49 AM

Also planning a trip for my 10th anniversary to Italy.We went for our honeymoon for three weeks,and have been back two other times.Our favorite place is venice.Current plan<BR>Cogne-3nights two days of hiking in Gran Paradiso national park.<BR>Alba-4nights vineyards/wine/food, anniversary dinner<BR>Castiglione in Chianti-one night mainly to stop at a recommended restaurant<BR>Castiglione de Orcia-3 nights(southern Tuscany)stay on a 200 acre olive farm explore, hike,more wine(brunello)<BR>Venice-4 nights stroll,museums,Romance<BR>Average cost of room 90/night!<BR>

MarciaS Feb 18th, 2003 05:56 PM

Unless you are opposed to touristy areas besides Venice, I wouldn't miss Florence and Siena on my first trip to Italy. There is so much wonderful history there and a good introduction to the beauty (and wonderful food and wine) of Italy. Enjoy!

chelley Feb 18th, 2003 07:23 PM

thanks for your continuing information, Isabel! <BR>Robert R., I appreciate viewing your upcoming itinerary as well.<BR>I'll be checking availability of arrival/departure cities for the FF mileage tomorrow and possibly be a little more limited w/my choices!<BR>Take care!

RobertR Feb 19th, 2003 06:56 AM

One idea that seems to be popular is daytrips.What you miss on a daytrip is the feel of the area at various times of the day,it is the equivalent of 20 cities in 21 days.For very limited purposes such as to see one site it sometimes makes sence but <BR>to see florence for example the best way is to stay there. RR