Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   10 year Anniversary Trip to Europe....need help deciding where (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/10-year-anniversary-trip-to-europe-need-help-deciding-where-906722/)

JShirley Sep 20th, 2011 10:11 AM

10 year Anniversary Trip to Europe....need help deciding where

We are planning on going to Europe for our 10 year anniversary for the first 2 weeks in June. Last year we went to Turkey and Greece and 2 years ago we went to Paris and Italy. We are in our mid 30s a like to keep active and enjoy good food, museums and nature.

I know it is a personal opinion, but if you had to chose would you go to:

Prague/Vienna/Dubrovnik

Amalfi Coast

French Riveria/Provence

My husband wants to go back to Prague and I have not been to any of the places listed but have heard amazing things about Amalfi Coast....he likes big cities and thinks we will be board if we just do Amalfi Coast and I'm trying to find a good balance :)

yorkshire Sep 20th, 2011 11:11 AM

From Prague to Dubrovnik is a tough itinerary because you could spend 2 weeks just in Croatia. I think your husband might be bored there, because it is more about nature. But, just Prague, Vienna, and Budapest is a perfect trio, with some more rural spots in between would be nice.
I don't think you can go wrong with the other choices!

Kwoo Sep 20th, 2011 11:34 AM

Because you have been to Italy and France, I like yorkshire's suggestion of Prague/Vienna/Budapest. And because you have 2 weeks, I think you would have time to visit places such as Telc, Karlovy Vary and Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic. These are smaller cities/towns which give you a break from only seeing large cities. You could rent a car & see some of the countryside at the same time. Karlovy Vary is a spa town & is very different architecturally from Prague & CK, while Telc is a small but very pretty & picturesque small town. It has one of the prettiest town squares I have seen, a wonderful castle, & 2 lovely ponds which are great for peaceful walks.

I haven't been to Budapest yet but both of my daughters have, and they said it is very different from Prague, so you would have a nice mix of wonderful but different cities.

qwovadis Sep 20th, 2011 12:41 PM

In 2 weeks in the past my wife and I have had a wonderful time
training up/down the Med Coast of Italy and France.A great combo
of wonderful cities and towns.Might look at

Arles www.lecalendal.com

Carcassonne if time GREAT castle Hotel de la Cite

Nice Meridien Negresco if budgt good

Portofino www.metropole.it visit www.cinqueterre.com

if time simalar to better than Amalfi for me

www.lucca.info Rome Naples Sorrento/Amalfi if time.

In may we had a wonderful romantic time at

www.hoteldelfino.com great views over Capri...

Your other Itineraries are nice lots of Cities ok not great

www.seat61.com for training info

Congrats!

Jean Sep 20th, 2011 12:57 PM

JShirley, since you tagged your thread "Italy," do I detect a subliminal preference? If so, a week in the Amalfi Coast area and perhaps a week on Sicily or elsewhere in southern Italy would be great in early June. Two weeks in the AC area alone would be just a few days too long for me.

If no preference, I agree that Prague/Vienna/Budapest would make for an interesting mix of culture and sights. Consider spending a couple of days in Bratislava and taking a river cruise on the Danube between Vienna and Bratislava rather than the train. There are also day cruises on the Danube out of both Vienna and Bratislava.

http://www.lod.sk/En/Default.aspx

http://www.ddsg-blue-danube.at/engli..._lwien_fp2.asp

JShirley Sep 20th, 2011 01:35 PM

thank you for all the replies! i am totally leaning toward amalfi coast and french riveria combo. would it be crazy to combine the 2? if not what would be a reasonable itinerary to combine the highlights of the 2 areas for 2 weeks...maybe May 24th thru June 7th?

Jean Sep 20th, 2011 03:28 PM

Anything's possible, but how would you get from the Amalfi Coast to the French Riviera? Your best flight options are likely out of Rome, or it's a 10+ hour train ride from Naples to, say, Nice. Driving would take 9+ hours, and you might face a drop-off charge on the rental.

Have you been to Rome? If not, I can't imagine not stopping there for a couple of days. If you drove, there would an endless list of tempting stops, and you might want to do the drive over two days.

However you do it, you'll lose an entire day.

Sassafrass Sep 20th, 2011 06:33 PM

The AC is one of my favorite places on earth so far, just about tied with Provence and Sicily. Therefore, with two weeks, I would do a combination of at least five days to a week on the AC and a week plus in Sicily or Provence. You could ferry from Naples to Sicily. That would be just about perfect. Don't know the logistics of getting from Naples to Provence.