10 to 12 days for a Euro Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 02:00 PM
IHM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 to 12 days for a Euro Road Trip

Hi Everyone,

Just planning a road trip for the end of July with my girlfriend for 10 to 12 days. We have a Van/Car thing that we can easily sleep in and a few friends to crash at to avoid having to pay for hotels. My general idea is to head south from London to French Riviera via Paris and the Loire (about three nights). Then head East to Italy through Genoa, and Verona to Venice (about 4 days), then swing round the Dolomites, head west to lake Como, and then up to Switzerland (4 days), then shoot back home to London. Have put a rough route onto google maps and it comes out at around 2600miles. Link to map is below.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...7143,33.815918

Would appreciate any advice, suggestions, and comments.

Happy Travelling

Ian
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ian - that's a b..dy long way in 10-12 days.

don't you fancy actually stopping to see some of the places you are going to? you are either going to be doing substantial milage every day [at least 200 miles a day starts to take a toll after a while] or whole days behind the wheel if you stop to smell the roses every once in a while.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but half it of would be much better - eg - London to the riviera and back or London to Switzerland and Venice and back.

BTW, when i was your age, DH and i did some trips like this - one took us down France on the west side and back up the east, one through the middle of France and into Spain over the pyrenees, and a third from venice to Pisa with a lot of italy in between, so I'm not just talking theoretically. we had a much better time when we travelled for a day or so, then stopped more or less still for 2-3 days, before moving on again, but with this itinerary, you have barely got any time to stop at all.