10 Hour Layover in Gatwick--what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our way to Spain this summer, we have about a 10 hour layover at Gatwick Airport. Rather than sit around in the airport (trying to entertain our kids), I thought we might want to hop on the train and go somewhere for a few hours. Any suggestions? I looked at some maps and I was wondering about Brighton? We will be in London for several days at the end of the trip so I'd prefer going in an opposite direction. And this will be the first time for our children in England. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 06:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Which 10 hours? What time do you arrive/depart? That can make a difference. But yes, Brighton is very doable
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

We arrive around 10am and depart around 8pm. Yes...that is important to know! Thanks for the clarifying question. (Also, I just saw that Brighton is close, but we would be up for anything
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 07:15 AM

If you don't want to head into London, Brighton is a good option (but mostly if the weather is decent because you will be outside a lot.)

Brighton Pavilion, the Pier, beaches, a marina, etc.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 01:15 AM

Another vote for Brighton. It'll give the children a chance to stretch their legs (it's a bit of a walk from the station to the seafront, but you just keep walking straight ahead), and to let off steam on the beach or pier. It isn't all tacky (though a lot of it is, and even the Pavilion is high-class vulgarity) - it's also a big student town with quite an alternative vibe in places, and plenty of knick-knack and antique shops in the Lanes.

But assuming you need to catch your train back around 5.30pm, you could easily spend several hours there without feeling too rushed.

http://autolycus-london.blogspot.co....ay-monday.html
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj and PatrickLondon. Since I made the post, I was also looking at Arundel as an alternative (only around 45 mins. from Gatwick on the train). It sounds like a lovely little village. Any thoughts on this?
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 04:37 AM

Both are doable but I'd probably do Brighton myself . . . Trains to Brighton take between 22 and 34 minutes, to Arundel twice as long. (from 47 mins to a little over an hour) depending on which trains you catch. That extra time matters on a short/whirlwind visit.

You have to factor in queueing to leave your carry ons at Left Luggage at LGW and queueing to retrieve them, then security. You probably won't be on a train until noon and should be back at LGW by about 5:30 so you'd have about 4.5 hours in Brighton give or take, and only maybe 3 or 3.5 hours in Arundel. Though Arundel is smaller and things are closer together . . .
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 04:40 AM

. . . but you don't need to decide ahead of time really. If it is pouring down, maybe you don't want a seaside resort and would rather tour a castle, if it is a gorgeous day, maybe the kids would enjoy running on the beach and not doing much of anything else . . .