Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   10 days to spend...how? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/10-days-to-spend-how-178613/)

dora Mar 22nd, 2002 05:17 PM

10 days to spend...how?

we're planning a 10day anniversary trip to italy...venice, florence and mainly tuscany area-any ideas for tuscany lodging? we really want a family run inn or BB situated on either wine vineyard, olive grove, or farm and take a cooking class...also how would we make the most of 4 days in Tuscany and 2-3 days in Venice? Any tips on restaurants, sights, etc. Help!

Rex Mar 22nd, 2002 06:49 PM

Check out www.domani-usa.com - - and although not specifically in Tuscany (in fact, closer to Rome - - but light years, "mentally" form civilization) - - I would recommend Villa Vallerosa - - http://www.domani-usa.com/rome/vallerosa.html -- Luciana will take you for as few as 2-3 days.<BR><BR>Or search agriturismo on ths forum or on the internet.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

top Mar 23rd, 2002 05:00 AM

to the top<BR>

Rex Mar 23rd, 2002 06:44 PM

Bringing back to the top, since I think you have not been able to find this one. Still looking for the other one (well, not exactly looking, just strolling back through stuff I've missed).<BR>

Bucky Mar 23rd, 2002 07:19 PM

Anywhere in Florence is heaven. See the David! Definitely go to Sienna, but get there early & eat in the center, & go to the top of the museum for a great view. La Suvera(Villa)(inn) in Pievescola is unbelievable, food , rooms. High and low prices including 4* food, .........but kids???? Tuscany B&B's call 011-39-55-730-9145 -Florence is it if you like art and walking!!!!!

topping Mar 24th, 2002 04:14 AM

topping again, for dora<BR>

Tom Mar 24th, 2002 06:30 AM

One option for a cooking class that Rick Steve's recommends is Anne Robichaud (www.annesitaly.com). We tried to book her and she's already busy the day we have free, but she has put us in touch with another individual so she's very helpful. A great day would be a half day cooking class (go to market, etc. and then have her give you a brief tour of Assisi). Regarding lodgings, we're basing ourselves in Cortona at Il Falconiere (Relais Chateaux property). Friends have stayed there and rave about the food and the setting just outside of Cortona. Other towns we're planning on hitting are Montalcino, Montepulciano, Spello and Gubbio. Enjoy!

Rex Mar 24th, 2002 07:34 AM

Just like Villa Vallerosa (which is in Rieti), Assisi is also NOT in Tuscany. In Umbria - - which IS closer to Tuscany than Rieti is.<BR><BR>but I agree - - you only hear good things about Anne Robichaud.<BR>

ttt Mar 28th, 2002 04:17 AM

to the top<BR>

dora Mar 30th, 2002 06:14 PM

how embarrassing...its taken me 8 days to find my original question! very new at this and still quite overwhelmed! thanks to rex and all for the advice. Anyone else have more specific places youve stayed or heard of that are gems not to be missed in tuscany, venice or florence? Restaurants, shops, sights, etc. i've read through the sights and love all the info. from first hand travelers. i feel we are running out of time, and need to confirm some reservations...help! and thanks! did i mention our ff miles are in and out of milan?

RickSteves Mar 30th, 2002 06:47 PM

Hey, if you follow through on that Rick Steves cooking class idea, you might want to sign up for my peanut butter and jelly sandwich class in Tuscany next fall. We've also got a great Working with Bananas and Marshallows class going in the South of France in the Spring. Hope you can sign on!!

dora Mar 30th, 2002 06:55 PM

no, thanks. i have an old family recipe for the peanut butter and banana dish.

Rex Mar 30th, 2002 08:04 PM

Dora,<BR><BR>when are you traveling? the anne robichaud suggestion really is a good one as is my suggestion for Villa Vallerosa. If you are really desperate, you can write to me. I may ask you to put your questions back here on this forum, but a phone call might be ion order, to get you pointed in the right direction. If the cooking class os yout first priority, you ought to get that selected, and then build around it,<BR><BR>And a lot depends on your budget. There's also www.initaly.com - - have you looked at that? and maybe one other cooking class on domani-usa - - I think.<BR>

Dayle Mar 30th, 2002 08:22 PM

Hi Dora! <BR><BR>Pick up a copy of the Cucina Italiana magazine. It's a great magazine for Italian food lovers/cooks!<BR><BR>Here are some cooking/wine tour companies:<BR><BR>Gourmet Getaways<BR>www.gourmetget.com<BR><BR>Gabriel's Travels Italy<BR>www.travelingtoitaly.com<BR><BR>The Parker Company<BR>www.theparkercompany.com<BR><BR>Peggy Markel's<BR>www.CookInItaly.com<BR><BR>The International Kitchen<BR>www.theinternationalkitchen.com<BR><BR> The shortest class I see is 3 days. However, some of these may be able to recommend a 1 day.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Lois Mar 30th, 2002 11:33 PM

Hey! Great list! Thanks...<BR>

top Mar 31st, 2002 05:51 AM

topping again for dora<BR>

elaine Mar 31st, 2002 08:49 AM

regarding a short trip to Venice.<BR>Here is what I keep in my Venice file, it mentions only having one day, but obviously it can be slowed down and expanded to cover two or three days.<BR><BR>The following appeared in the Fodor’s Europe message forum in July 2000, written by Venice expert Paulo and annotated by me here and there: "At that time I already knew Venice very well, so I didn't exactly do what 9 out of 10 daytrippers to Venice do: to take #1 vaporetto from the Ferrovia (train station) to San Marco ... Instead, we started our stroll right at the train station. We crossed the bridge over the Grand Canal, strolled through the Sestiere of San Polo, to Campo S. Giacomo dell'Orio and on to Campo San Polo, visiting both churches on the way. (Elaine’s note: The San Polo church has some masterpieces by Tiepolo, Veronese, and Tintoretto.) From there, a stroll to Campo dei Frari (church visit) and Scuola San Rocco (visit). (Elaine’s note: I would skip the Scuola San Rocco, despite the Tintoretto treasures, in fact, I would, reluctantly, not visit any museums if I only had one day in Venice. With two or three days, of course see a museum or two, and as many churches as interest you.)Then on to Dorsoduro, via Campo San Pantalon,Campo Santa Margherita (snack lunch), Campo San Barnaba to the Accademia Museum, across the Accademia bridge and into the sestiere of San Marco. (Elaine’s note: Before crossing the Accademia Bridge, and depending on the time you have, I would walk farther south into Dorsoduro to visit the Salute Church. Or skip it, wander a bit, and head back to the Accademia Bridge.) When we got to see the Piazza and Basilica it was almost 3pm!!! (Elaine’s note: if you have time, by all means go to visit the inside of the Basilica and/or the Doge’s Palace in the Piazza.) We got to visit the Basilica, rested and had drinks/coffees at Cafe Florian and went for some shopping. In the evening, we took vaporetto #1 back to the train station." (Elaine's note: the gelati, snacks and drinks at Florian's or at Quadri on the Piazza are not cheap, and there is an extra charge when the band is playing, but you just can't not do this at least once, if not every day.)<BR>Elaine’s note: There is another, more detailed, one-day itinerary for Venice included in Steinbicker’s excellent book "Daytrips Italy". See also www.veniceword.com for another suggested one-day visit.<BR>And just about every basic guidebook<BR>for Venice (Fodor's is excellent by the way) has some suggested two or three or four day itineraries.<BR>For restaurants, I'd be happy to send you my Venice file if you email me. Or do a search on this message board.<BR>I also recommend the little book<BR>"Time For Food Venice" published by Thomas Cook. Contains restaurants, bars, places to picnic, even a little shopping advice.<BR>good luck<BR>

dora Mar 31st, 2002 01:26 PM

thanks rex, dayle and elaine! what a list for venice, elaine! i have copied and pasted it to my venice file. Dayle, i have emailed all the cooking schools over the past month and they are mostly for a week. My husband and I aren't real cooks,,,,just hooked on foodtv and Mario Batali. I thought it would be the experience of a lifetime to learn to cook an authentic italian meal next to a real italian cook in a farmhouse in aTuscan kitchen! A half day would be more than plenty to make this dream come true. I will have to keep looking for this one. Rex, thanks so much for your interest in not only our trip but it seems that you are so helpful to everyone on this forum. Our dates of travel are June 15-25 flying in and out of milan. (all we could get on FF) We are working with a travel agent for our hotel, train, etc. but always like to get input from first hand travelers. as much as we like our travel agent, our agendas might be a little different, if you know what i mean. For the Tuscany piece, however, I really wanted to research the inns on our own, because we have a certain kind of place in mind. I looked up your suggestion of Villa Vallerosa and it looks like a dream. Only trouble is it looks a little far to be our home base for the Tuscan region. Is San Gimangia(sp?) the place to stay and explore the region? From what i/ve heard on this site, that seems to be the consensus. Any suggestions such as Villa Vallerosa in this area? Thanks again.

Rex Mar 31st, 2002 07:15 PM

Glad to see you've connected with at least a little info you can use, dora.<BR><BR>You're right, Vallerosa is not a base for Tuscany. It's in Rieti. My point would be that not many classes (especially with self-catering accommodations) are set up for only 2-3 days.<BR><BR>And you might be pleasantly surprised. Tuscany has been a major tourist destination for 50-60 years now. Rieti has nor. I like to think that Rieti is like what Tuscany WAS like 50-60 years ago, before it became "Chianti-shire".<BR><BR>Hope you find something in those various listings provided by Dayle.<BR>

ttt Apr 1st, 2002 02:05 AM

ttt<BR>