Reload this Page >

10 days to spare...Scotland or Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 1998, 07:09 PM
steve

<BR>At the end of a proposed European vacation in June next year, I've got 10 days to fill in before attending a conference in London. I've always wanted to visit Ireland and Scotland but I just can't decide which one. Thinking of hiring a car. <BR>Love to here your impressions of both countries. <BR>Which one would you choose? <BR> <BR>regards <BR>Steve

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 07:21 AM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Steve: OK, so my surname indicates my prejudice; and I really hate to clog the roads of Ireland with even one more sightseer; but the truth is that spend- ing your 10 days in Ireland is the best choice, especially if you fly into Cork and head for the West. The historic sites and the breath-taking scenery will blow you away. The food, especially in places such as Kenmare, will amaze you (Irish lads and lasses have been training in fine French kitchens of late and it shows). And the people! The kind- ly, warm-hearted, interested-but-not- nosy Irish people simply have no equal anywhere (and I've been most comparable places), Go and enjoy! Joan

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 10:04 AM
Tony Hughes

Joan - you are telling Steve to go to Ireland to sample french-style food ? Where's the sense in that?? Steve, come to Scotland we have many great chinese restaurants !! <BR>

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 03:39 PM
JOAN DOYLE

This is for Tony (who seems too deliberately dense to be Scottish): No, I don't believe I said anywhere that Steve should go to Ireland to eat French food--though anyone who traveled there with me on my first trip in 1957 and was served canned fruit cocktail in a custard sauce for dessert night after night would welcome it. I merely suggested that even in the rather rural west of Ireland the cooks are being trained by masters--and the improvement is notable. Try it--exposure to the kindly Irish might help you. Joan

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 06:13 PM
Maira

Hey, I don't want to side with anybody here, but the truth is Joan, that the way you put it, kind of implies what Tony is saying....Well, anyway, in my humble opinion I would do both!. At a minimum, spend three days in Edinburgh (with day trips to the nearby historic areas), and then head out to Ireland. <BR>

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 02:44 AM
Tony Hughes

Firstly, Maria - my hero . <BR>Secondly . .Joan, i will cut you a large slice of humble pie to eat. <BR>Allow me to quote verbatim: "The food ..will amaze you {The Irish} have been training in fine French kitchens of late and it shows)" <BR> <BR>Training to do what? Play boules? I dont think so. <BR> <BR>Thirdly dont call me dense. You know nothing about me.Dont be so damn demeaning to people. Re-read what you typed and take a long, hard think about it. <BR> <BR>Now I am not advocating coming to Scotland instead of Ireland. Do what Maria suggests and visit both countries Steve. <BR> <BR>Oh, also don't start making assumptions about me - I was in Southern Ireland in June of this year. It's ok, nothing startling and, in fact, i found some of the Irishness a little twee, artificial and kitsch - as if pandering to the tourists (me being one of them) <BR> <BR>Also I have 2 engineering degrees and am a member of MENSA, the high IQ society. I don't usually tell people that but you annoyed me so i decided to include it for my own personal gratification.

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 08:42 AM
Maira

Tony, my friend, take a deep breath the next time, OK?.... <BR> <BR>By the way, Steve, have you reach a veredict yet?

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 03:10 PM
lynne

<BR>Tony: <BR>If you're a member of Mensa (as you so smugly point out!!) you should be able to read better...looks to me as if you're reading between the lines and not reading what is written. Joan is simply pointing out that Irish cooking has improved greatly... <BR> <BR>My vote is definetly for Ireland!!

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 04:38 AM
Tony Hughes

Lynne, a few points for you to heed in future when you feel the need to express yourself on a forum like Fodors: <BR>1/ I didn't type anything smugly - you just made that up, didn't you? <BR>2/ You learn all about cooking in French kitchens - it's French food you are cooking, mind. <BR>3/ Learn to spell. I refer to your last sentence. <BR>4/ Your vote is for Ireland - why ??? <BR>Tell us, or there is no point in bothering to answer Steve's question. <BR>5/ MENSA tests are based on logic, not reading a passage of text in English. Please research these things before posting replies. <BR>Tony Hughes BSc MSc IEng (AMICE)

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 12:42 PM
Jeff Holcomb

Steve, I think the best way to see which one you like is to see both as Maira(sp)first suggested. I have been to both and I think both have their own charm. I think you said you were going to rent a car. Perhaps you could rent one in Edinburgh and travel Scotland for four days, then take the car across on the ferry. It may add a little to the expense of the trip, but it would be worth it.

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 02:15 PM
steve

<BR>Thank-you all for your "colorful" replies. Its obvious that several contributors have passionate feelings towards one country or the other, especially on cuisine! <BR>Having done a little more research myself, I've discovered that one of my ancestors was a famous Scottish poet, James Hogg. I now feel somewhat obliged now to visit that region. Perhaps I might even ask for some Irish Stew with Bernaise Sauce.....