Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days starting in Nice, desperate for suggestions

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching posts for inspiration on what to do for the 10 days we will be in the south of France...well I am overwhelmingly inspired!!! I already realize that this will be the first of many trips to France, to do it properly. Want to see and do and taste and smell eveything! OK, enough gushing:

Should we( 2couples), base in Nice, or Villefranche,or Vence, as I've seen some suggested, and do day trips?

Or should we try to cover more area, and move 2 or 3 times?
We don't want to do long driving days(squeezed in with our luggage)....looking for real France, not too touristy.

Would also love some help on places to stay that would have a great view, and terrace perhaps to hang out on during down times.

Would any one know about a train from Milan to Nice? Just in case we don't make our connection!!!only a one hour layover!! If worse case scenario we could enjoy the view.

Thanks in advance for any info...this site is an amazing source of information.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:46 PM

the best thing you can do for starters is to get a copy of the michelin green guides to provence and to the côte d'azur. skimming them will let you see the variety of sights awaiting you, as well as suggested itineraries.

with 10 days you will be able to cover a lot of ground. i'd suggest splitting the time between western and eastern provence, with 5-6 days in the st-rémy/lubéron areas and the rest in and around nice. either nice or villefranche would be good as a base for the côte d'azur portion. vence is well up in the hills, and it takes at least half an hour to get down to the coastal area; in villefranche you'd be right there and could then make circuits of the hill villages. if you'd prefer the hills, however, vence would be pleasant, as would mougins. travel time along the coast is quick as long as you stick to the freeways; once you reach your destination you can cruise along the coastal roads and enjoy the scenery. with 4 days in and around nice you can visit cannes, antibes, st-paul-de-vence, possibly tourette-sur-loup, old mougins, and nice itself.

the thought of ten days in provence makes me salivate--you will have a wonderful time.

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:41 AM

hello, I don't if you are leaving soon, but it should not be very crowdy at this time of the year! I like Antibes and it's Vauban thick wall and peebles beaches, the old part with small streets, Biot standing up a hill with glassblowers shops and potteries on the way. Grasse and the fragrances factories (galimard and molinard, have a look at the websites http://www.galimard.com/intro.html and
http://www.molinard.com/ )
the old center of Cannes can be pleasant as well... I remember seeing the beautiful hotels overlooking the méditerranée in Juan les Pins

there's no doubt you'll enjoy it very much! you have plenty of time to do it.
have a nice trip!
corinne
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM

ttt
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention tht we are going Apr 28th till May 9th. Any thought on where to stay in Villefranche sur mer, for how long and what to do, and the same for Vence. Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:30 PM

Do you have my 20+ page itinerary on Provence & Cote d'Azur. If you have been looking at old posts, then you have probably come across my offer before. We've vacationed for over 21 weeks in these areas since we retired early in '99. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu. Yes, I would love the itinerary..check your email,
Nancy
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:28 PM

For a great view and a balcony I can recommend the Versailles in Villefranche sur Mer.