Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   10 days - Salzburg - Innsbruck region (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/10-days-salzburg-innsbruck-region-1650959/)

Cruzeirense Mar 27th, 2018 06:13 PM

10 days - Salzburg - Innsbruck region

Hi everybody,

After very useful advices obtained here, we (2 adults, 2 year old kid and 6 year old kid) decided to visit the Salzburg-Innsbruck region for 10 nights (July).

The plan is to go Vienna > INNSBRUCK (+ SURROUNDINGS) > SALZBURG (+ SURROUNDINGS) > C. Krumlov

So, I would appreciate to get some thoughts on:

1) clever mean of transportarion between Vienna and Innsbruck (it's a 5 hour long train ride; would it be better to fly or to go by car?)

2) suggested time division between Salsburg (and region) and Innsbruck (and region)? 5 and 5 would be fair?

3) for one or two overnights at cities on that region, which ones do you suggest? Hallstat? Grossglocknerstrasse/Zel-Am-See? Königsee? Berchtesgaden? Wolfgangsee? St. Wolfgang/St. Gilgen? Kufstein? Garmisch-Partenkircher? Achensee? Hall-in-Tirol? Seefeld/Mittenwald? You see, those are all sidetrips I researched about for Salzburg and Innsbruck and they all look fantastic, which makes us a little bit lost and confused...

4) best mean of transportation connecting Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov?

Thank you!

thursdaysd Mar 27th, 2018 07:06 PM

1. Take the train. The route is quite scenic.

3. Base in Innsbruck and take day trips.

4. According to Rome2rio there is a bus. A rather expensive bus. Or a train to Linz and a similarly expensive bus. But you always need to check their data.

kja Mar 27th, 2018 07:16 PM

I agree with thursdaysd! I offer my wholehearted support to the plan to use public transportation for this trip. As for Q2, 5 and 5 could work well; whether you want a bit more here or there really depends on what you want to see and experience. Enjoy!

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2018 07:32 AM

Trains Vienna-Innsbruck can be really scenic if you take the inland route Salzburg-Vienna and not the most direct route that after Salzburg cuts thru a rather blah part of Germany- the inland route takes longer but plying Alpine valleys is one of the most scenic in Austria. But maybe you will be going back east via that route - anyway for lots on Austrian trains and booking your own discounted tickets online check - http://www.oebb.at/en/ and Willkommen - two competing train companies - Westbahn is known for low low fares even at last minute. www.seat61.com has loads of great advice on booking your own tickets; general train info www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.

Salzburg-C Krumlov take train to Linz then either bus or slower train I think to C K - check Mega site of Bible Information for schedules. www.seat61.com should also have info on that.

mariannna Mar 28th, 2018 07:35 AM

Salzburg and Linz are really not that far away and the train ride is beautiful

thursdaysd Mar 28th, 2018 07:57 AM

According to Rome2Rio the bus from Linz to CK costs the same as the bus from Salzburg to CK. No brainer to take the bus from Salzburg with no change. Always assuming the info is correct, as I already posted R2R should always be checked.

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2018 08:18 AM

Trains Salzburg-CK require two changes at take nearly 5 hours - bus should be much easier and quicker.

Cruzeirense Mar 28th, 2018 09:23 AM

Well, based on what you've said, I think we could do this:

- TRAIN from Vienna to Innsbruck (about 5 hours, scenic route).

- TRAIN or CAR for daytrips from from Innsbruck and Salzburg. Personally, I'd rather go by train (for the environment sake, not to mention it allows contemplating the area around and it's not as tiring as driving). But I have to consider that I have to optimize our time, especially with kids (the car would bring more flexibility); besides, some places can't be visited on trains (area around the Grossglocknerstrasse, for instance). So, I will think better about it.

- BUS (direct line) from Salzburg to Cesky Krumlov.

But we are opened to different ideas.

Thank you again!

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2018 10:41 AM

With family I may take a train to Innsbruck and then rent a car to slowly move east to Salzburg and its Lakes District and Hallstatt (awesome high Alps - salt mine visits include sliding down into them (Salzburg has simila salt mine tours - befitting for 'salt city') and up to C Krumlov (checking with car rental agency about doing this) and back to Austria. As you would drive back via the scenic inland route Innsbruck-Salzburg may as well take the fastest train route Vienna to Innsbruck.

In Vienna the Wachau Valley boat ride would be great for kids - if driving back to Vienna you could hit it on the way back- stop at Melk and do a trip thru the fabulous Wachau Valley: https://www.google.com/search?q=wach...w=1708&bih=838

but with car driving along this vineyard-clad valley is great too but maybe a short boat trip...

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2018 01:07 PM

I'd try for a two-night stay in the Lakes District - St Wolfgang - take the huff-and-puff steam train up the mountain = easy walk down- boat rides on lake and also two in Hallstatt - not much in town but excursions into high Alps are great. Postal busn Salzburg to St Wolfgang and then bus to Bad Ischl for train to Hallstatt.

Rather than going back to Salzburg to catch bus to C-K take train Hallstatt to Linz to catch bus.

Cruzeirense Mar 28th, 2018 03:09 PM

PalenQ, your advices are precious. The Wachau area will be covered while we are in Vienna. Your idea of moving slowly east from Salzburg and stopping overnight in a couple of small towns sounds great.

kja Mar 28th, 2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cruzeirense (Post 16702715)
TRAIN or CAR for daytrips from from Innsbruck and Salzburg. Personally, I'd rather go by train (for the environment sake, not to mention it allows contemplating the area around and it's not as tiring as driving). But I have to consider that I have to optimize our time, especially with kids (the car would bring more flexibility); besides, some places can't be visited on trains (area around the Grossglocknerstrasse, for instance).

I've done some road trips, and have completely enjoyed them, but I must admit that I don't think having a car necessarily gives that much more flexibility in places where public transportation is good. You will have to make sure that the vehicle is big enough to fit you and your family and your luggage -- which can make it bigger than ideal for some towns and mountain roads. You have to find parking. The driver has to deal with the stress of driving. Even with a good GPS system, one can get lost. And so forth. And unless you have so much time that you can see everything in the area, having the "flexibility" to go places where you can't go by public transportation may not be a benefit at all, or may be so only because you are paying the opportunity cost of missing other things. Again, I think there are times when having a car is the best solution, but I think there are genuine pros and cons that merit consideration for any specific trip and any specific situation.

PalenQ Mar 29th, 2018 07:17 AM

Sometimes with little kids in tow cars are nicer than trains, especially if not traveling just to large cities. Here's a thought - consider renting a camper van and use campsites which are everywhere - on edges of all large cities and family places with kids play areas, etc. Austria is especially lovely for camping.

fourfortravel Mar 30th, 2018 06:34 AM

"1) clever mean of transportarion between Vienna and Innsbruck (it's a 5 hour long train ride; would it be better to fly or to go by car?)

2) suggested time division between Salsburg (and region) and Innsbruck (and region)? 5 and 5 would be fair?

3) for one or two overnights at cities on that region, which ones do you suggest? Hallstat? Grossglocknerstrasse/Zel-Am-See? Königsee? Berchtesgaden? Wolfgangsee? St. Wolfgang/St. Gilgen? Kufstein? Garmisch-Partenkircher? Achensee? Hall-in-Tirol? Seefeld/Mittenwald? You see, those are all sidetrips I researched about for Salzburg and Innsbruck and they all look fantastic, which makes us a little bit lost and confused..."

1. For every response in favor of the train you'll likely find one in favor of a car. Count us in the latter group: we like being able to stop whenever and wherever, be it to photograph cows in an alpine pasture or stop at a pretty overlook for a picnic. The straight drive from Vienna to Innsbruck is easy, and takes about 5 hours depending on your final location. Though, I recall you wanting scenic routes?

2./3. I would prioritize your activities before deciding where to base. Hallstatt is incredible on good weather days, and especially if you can manage an overnight (but absent the salt mines, your children will likely find it incredibly hot, dull, and crowded.) Keep in mind, as well, that one can not park in Hallstatt proper and must take a bus/boat to the city "border" and walk from there.

St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang are favorites for us. Lots of wandering and outdoor activities; in the summer there are numerous children's programs, as well. The Schafbergbahn might be fun for the entire family. The boat running between all three of the cities on Wolfgangsee is another plus.

Perhaps look at Hotel Seppl if your plans include basing in Innsbruck. It is a family-friendly hotel with suites and half-board; in addition, the hotel is a short walk to the trains that connect to Innsbruck.

Kufstein can be enjoyed in a couple of hours. We arrived late in the afternoon and felt that we had seen "everything" by dinnertime.

In July the Großglockner should be spectacular. There are numerous places at which to picnic and/or stop for photos along the road, and playing "I Spy" for the marmots and Chamoix would keep the children entertained when you stop to take photos and admire the views. Depending on the final itinerary, take a look at Krimml Waterfalls, too.

GPK is a favorite, but our children are older and enjoy the hiking. Little ones might enjoy the flat trail around Ebensee and of course going up to the Zugspitze lookout. Partnach Gorge could be fun, too.

Hall-in-Tirol would bore little ones witless (just my opinion.) Innsbruck offers an Alpine Zoo (with animals from the region) and plenty of outdoor activities.

Now...Seefeld? We have been three times, twice in winter and once in summer, and love, love, love the region; we have our fourth reservation for later in the summer. But, a car is rather necessary. There are activities for everyone; many of the resorts have dedicated programs for children, and the area itself is beautiful. Book early for the choice accommodations (our favorite is Bergresort Seefeld; the Kaltschmied group of properties offer a range of lodging and are perhaps a little more geared toward families with young children.)

PalenQ Mar 30th, 2018 09:03 AM

For families especially cars are best for where you are going. If landing in Vienna maybe take train to Innsbruck, pick up car and drive from there - better land in Munich and rent car and return to Munich - 10 days is not much - C Krumlov may be a bit too much going up a day and back for yes a nice old town but Austria has plenty just as nice - though different of course.

Cruzeirense Mar 30th, 2018 12:34 PM

Thank you for listing the pros and cons of car vs train. We will reflect on it.

The inputs on "dos" and "don'ts" with kids in each town were very appreciated too.

We will follow the advice of prioritizing the activities before deciding where to base in and for how many days.

Wohnmobil (camper van) while visiting Innsbruck/Salzburg region is a great idea. I'll do research on that. My wife supports this plan. And I discovered we don't need a special permit to drive the camper van. Is it easy to rent this kind of vehicle in one place and return it in another location or the companies are small and based in onde city only?

Landing in Munich is not an option. The tickets we've bought take us to Vienna. So, moving from Vienna to Innsbruck/Salzburg is necessary and a train ticket for this seems a good idea.

Cesky Krumlov is a special request from one of the travellers, and it's midway between Salzburg and Prague, from where we leave.

PalenQ Mar 30th, 2018 01:05 PM

Again, camping is great for families - though rentals are not cheap. Camping is kind of like moving into a European neighborhood.