Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days of Austria to Slovenia? Helping planning itinerary please...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:

My boyfriend and I are planninf a 10 day trip from Washington DC to Austria. I was hoping we could fit a couple days in Slovenia as well. I am having a lot of difficulty planning the trip. We definitely want to rent a car for the whole trip. Ideally we would fly into/our of Vienna but could really fly into any place in Austria. We would like to include Vienna, Salzburg, Tyrol area, Hallstatt and any other places people could recommend.

I am am not sure where in Slovenia to visit and what makes the most sense on our route? Should we see Slovenia in the end and then make our way back up to Vienna?

We are really looking for great landscapes and outdoor activities. We love meeting new people and really experiencing the culture.

If anyone one could help me layout a route to drive with potential places to stay the night that would be wonderful! Right now I am totally lost....

thanks in advance!
allison
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:19 PM

Renting car in one country and returning in another can mean predatorily steep drop off charges - trains are great in Austria and if going to cities cars are a hassle - maybe take train in Austria Salzburg (can land in Munich, 1.5 hr train ride away) and drive or train to Vienna - take train to Lljubana area and Bled and lakes - rent car there too maybe. Anyway fot lots on trains check www.seat61.com; www.bugeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

10 days ain't much, especially if it includes landing and departure days. Maybe just do Vienna area and go to Llubjana hitting lakes area around Bled - fly into Vienna and out of Llujbana. (sp?)
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 01:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Your Austrian destinations are more than enough, and possibly too much, for 10 days; we could spend all 10 days in Tirol and be quite happy. If you want great landscapes and outdoor activities, I would skip Vienna (we leave Vienna on every pleasant weekend and holiday and head to the hills). Yes, hiking the vineyards around the city can be beautiful, but for "landscapes and outdoor activities," you really want Tirol and Salzburgland, or Slovenia by itself or in combination with Steiermark (Styria) in Austria. Have a look at https://www.steiermark.com/en and the relevant Slovenia tourism websites to help with your planning.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 04:54 PM
kja

First, do not try to fly into and out of the same cities unless you are absolutely certain that doing so is the best option in light of your ultimate itinerary – fly “open jaw” (in one city, out of another), which is rarely more expensive than a round-trip (particularly once you count the time and cost of backtracking). You can find your options using the “multi-city” option on most airline booking search engines.

Why rent a car for the whole trip? As PalenQ notes, you could end up paying an arm and a leg to pick up in one country and drop in another, and you have some excellent options for public transportation – options that are comfortable and convenient and possibly more affordable.

I agree with fourfortravel that you are trying to plan for too much! Are you sure you can see and do what you want in the time you have? I strongly urge you to consult some good guidebooks to decide what you want to see and experience, check current opening / closing times on a calendar, and then plot your trip out on a calendar. Remember to leave LOTS of time on either side of a relocation: In addition to the transportation time itself, you will need time for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting lost/oriented, etc.

Good luck with your research, and please come back with additional questions onces you’ve nailed some of the basics down.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 07:25 AM

Could do like Vienna-Graz-northern Slovenia and bring car back to Austria to return. but to see much of Austria would take the whole time.