Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   10 Days-N. Spain & Portugal or Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/10-days-n-spain-and-portugal-or-italy-286975/)

reddots Jan 18th, 2008 08:15 AM

10 Days-N. Spain & Portugal or Italy?

My husband and I are planning are planning a trip in Sept 2008 for our 1st Anniversary. We are debating between Italy (I have been but my husband has not) or Northern Spain/Portugal (I have been to Madrid/Andalusia).

Can anyone make suggestions/recommendations based on the time of year or if you had a similar itinerary would you mind sharing it?

Thanks!

Jeff801 Jan 18th, 2008 08:22 AM

My experience in Northeastern Spain and Northern Italy in September suggests that Italy would be the better choice for weather. Even though the chance of rain seemed greater in Italy, the excessive heat on Northern Spain, at least once one was away from the ocean or sea, militates against a comfortable trip at that time of year.

There is limited availability of air conditioned hotels in rural areas in both countries.

roro Jan 18th, 2008 09:30 AM

I think it kind of depends on what you're looking to do and what you enjoy doing. Are you looking for city life (and nightlife), beach lounging, wine tours, arts, romantic hideaways and walks. Italy is a pretty diverse country. You can travel and spend 10 days in many places that time of year: Sicily which has BEAUTIFUL sights and weather in September or The Amalfi coast or Tuscany. I haven't been to Portugal yet (actually currently I'm planning a 14 day trip for this June), but it seems an amazing mix as well. It really depends on what you're looking for. I would be happy to share any of my itineraries. We've been married for 7 years and our 1st anniversary trip was in Italy so I guess I'm partial (plus I'm Italian).

reddots Jan 18th, 2008 09:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback Roro. If we went the Italy Route I was thinking Rome and Tuscany. Would Cinque Terre be possible too in 10 days?

I would love to see your itinerary!

reddots Jan 18th, 2008 09:34 AM

And to answer your question we are interested in culture, food & wine and exploring/getting a feel for little towns. Beaches/hiking isn't so much of a priority as is soaking it all in.

roro Jan 18th, 2008 10:35 AM

3 Years ago we spent 10 days in Tuscany in early September. Here's a quick trip report.. I can provide details if you would like. We started our trip in Florence taking in the major sights and the arts... the Duomo, Accademia, Campanile for the view, Ponte Vecchio, but mainly walking the narrow streets and getting lost... enjoying the piazzas at night that were always filled w/ music. After 2 nights in Florence, we rented a car and went to Arezzo.. I timed the trip to coincide with their Medieval Festival (Giostra fel Saracino)... an amazing scene of what once was... cobblestone streets paraded by knights, horses & townsmen. While there we also saw Piero della Francesca's Legend of the True Cross (Renaissance art in a local church).. marvelous.

Big on wine and food, we were off to Montalcino, home to the Brunello and dozens of vineyards. We made this our base... we stayed at Hotel Vecchia Oliviera (beautiful views). That evening we started our wine tastings at the Enoteca at the Fortezza (fortress) in Montalcino. From Montalcino, we visited Siena for a full day of site seeing.. of course enjoying the drive in the picturesque south Tuscan hills. Another couple of days we went to several wine tastings, enjoying the Brunellos, Moscadello's and Vin Santos. We had some beautiful dinners in local towns nearby Montalcino (eg S. Angelo in Colle). We went to Sant'Antimo (an abbey in the countryside), and visited some hot springs and had a lunch in Pienza.

We made a 2nd base in the Northern Tuscan region of Chianti... we stayed in Vignamaggio, on a vineyard in Greve, which was having a wine festival. We day tripped to San Gimignano from there. To round off our trip we stayed in Lucca and took a day trip to Pisa before we went back to Florence, dropped off our car and took a train to Rome for our last night and then flight home.

reddots Jan 19th, 2008 09:26 AM

This is a great itinerary. I think I will skip Arezzo as I have already been there and add a 2nd night in Rome as my husband has never been to Italy/Rome!