Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 Days in Spain - what to do where to stay?

Feb 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

I am from Vancouver and my best friend who is currently living in London are planning a trip to Spain for 10 days. I will be flying to London and we will fly from there to Spain. We are planning to go late May early June. We have read many travel books and thought starting in Barcelona would be best, but with so many amazing options we aren't sure where to go from Barcelona. We are also at bit grey on where is best to stay etc. We want to have a relaxing trip with some beach time so we don't want to move around too much. Can anyone suggest some great (affordable) places to stay in Barcelona and some close by must see places/towns etc.

We aren't on a really tight budget but would prefer to use our money on great food and nights out and spend the days sight seeing rather then on hotels.

Alternatively can anyone recommend a great trip advisor that could help us pull together an itinerary including places to stay etc.? (this could be out of the UK or Canada)

Thank you.
Feb 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM

read through this forum for places to stay or look through booking.com for prices and reviews or maybe Hostelworld.com for other cheap and .....??????? places.
Where to go depends on your interests and method of travel both of which you have not given.
I have stayed in BCN for 10 days and never regeted it. Maybe you will find the same'
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:00 AM

Hi!!
I am french guy who live in spain since 6 month. I've been in Madrid during 4 month and now I live in Barcelona.
In Barcelona, you will see some great things. First you to go in the historical center of the city. You will walk on the Ramblas which is the most famous avenue in Barcelona. There you should stop at the Boqueria Market to apreciate the colors, the smells and the sounds. Then go to the Catalunya place. The activity there is just completly amazing. If you want to buy something a little bit precious I recomand you the "passeig de Gracia" which is a comercial street. It is also the of two famous House of Gaudi (Casa batillo and casa mila). If you want to go out from the touristic area you just have to go in the district of Gracia. It is like the gothic district but without the tourists. Then tere are a lot of things to see and to do like montjuic and its castle or like ciutadella. There is also the Guell Park which is the best architecture thing I have ever seen.
Just don't go in Raval District. It's a litle bit dangerous.

Then I think you should go in Madrid. It's a great city. There you have to go first to Puerta del sol. This place is just totally crazy. Then go to the plaza mayor, it's the beautifulest place I've ever seen. If you like modern pictures the Reina Sofia museum is made for you. If you prefer some more classic pictures just go to the Prado. The Goya's colection is very impressive.

Then I would recomand you to go to Granada to visit the garden of the Alambra. There all the history of spain is wrote in this mix between the arab and the spanish culture. It is actually a good lesson for nowadays civilisation.

To enjoy the beaches. There is no place like Malaga. Beaches are beautiful there. And it's pretty close to the Gibraltar Rock.

To sleep If I were you I would try a rental vacation. Hotels are very expensive in summer. Personally I have tried it with a company which name is dailyflats.You can find there website by writing www.dailyflats.com. They have some good apartment in Barcelona and in Madrid. Me, I've paid 20 Euros per night in a 30 mqs apartment totally equipped very clean and well decorated.
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:32 AM

I suggest you go to fantastic San Sebastián. The article "A different kind of Spain" gives you an idea: http://marshlands.blogstream.com/

You could stay at great value Pensión Alemana, 50 mtrs. from the famous La Concha beach and a five mins walk to the Parte vieja/Old town with the best tapas/pintxos scene in all of Spain.
http://www.hostalalemana.com/ingles/index.html

Fly Vueling from Barcelona to Bilbao in 70 mins, roundtrip about 70€. Bus directly from the airport to San Sebastián in little more than one hour.
http://www.vueling.com/?language=EN

You would also have the chance to se the extraordinary Guggenheim museum in Bilbao.
http://www.guggenheim.org/bilbao

Vueling also flies directly from London/Heathrow to Bilbao. Roundtrip 2-12 June would now be 105€.
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:02 AM

An excerpt of the article on San Sebastián (2006) (Yes, I'm biased, have lived here and visited almost every year since the late 80's):

"There is dining that features more Michelin starred restaurants per mile than Paris, New York, or Vienna. There is a culture that brought Woody Allen to the city’s Film Festival last year, brings Herbie Hancock and Bob Dylan to this summer’s Jazz Fest, and embraces Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum just down the coast in Bilbao. There is the zest for life that drew Ernest Hemingway to nearby Pamplona and was immortalized in The Sun Also Rises.

San Sebastian’s setting on the coast is a panorama reminiscent of Rio de Janeiro - a horseshoe bay of blue water whose entrance is guarded by Mount Igueldo, a wide sandy beach circling the bay, green mountains extending all the way to the water, and a statue of Christ on Mount Orgull overlooking it all. At the back of the bay lies the city, clad largely in white, perched on the beach and the slopes heading up into the mountains. Wide and sandy, La Concha Beach rims the back of the bay for four miles. Dotted with sunbathers, it hosts a covey of sailboats and kayakers just off shore. A wide boardwalk with small cafes and welcoming benches as well as stately hotels and apartments parallels the beach and hosts the nightly promenades customary in Spain. One is reminded of France’s Riviera. And finally, just like the rest of San Sebastian, everything is spotless, so spotless that you notice, and appreciate, and remember."

http://marshlands.blogstream.com/
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:25 AM

I love San Sebastian as well!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eduydor...45665/sizes/l/
Feb 25th, 2010, 10:20 AM

I think we all need to stop recommending San Sebastian. Yes it's possibly the world's most beautiful city and sure it has the best food in the world, Europe's oldest culture, yes the beaches are world class but soon the secret will be out and it will be like Barcelona where you bump into a tourist every 3 minutes. What about the weather? and it's expensive too.