Notices

10 days in Slovenia and Istria

Aug 1st, 2013, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

10 days in Slovenia and Istria

In early September my husband and I are meeting in Munich, where he'll be for work, renting a car, and driving through Slovenia to Istria. I already have two nights booked in Bled, and we're planning to stay in Ljubljana for a night or two and use it as a base to do some sightseeing including the Skocjan caves, and castle in Postojna. From there, we'll drive South to Istria. We're trying to decide if we should stay in a couple of different towns in Istria (possibly Buzet, Groznjan, Rovinj, Bale), or just stay in Rovinj and take day trips to other locations. We'd like to see as much as we can in 5-6 days, have great food and wine, visit olive oil and wine makers, and maybe jump off some big rocks into the Adriatic. We'd love some advice on whether to it's worth it to stay in a few different towns, or whether Istria is small and navigable enough that using Rovinj as a homebase will work just as well. Also, any thoughts on places that we shouldn't miss are welcome. Thanks!
Aug 1st, 2013, 08:09 AM

You are correct the distances are small--and it is usually more convenient to have one base. However, if you would like to enjoy dinner out at some of the rural restaurants or in those hill towns, then it is worth it to consider different bases so you do not have to drink and drive. I have done planning for a trip that I have not taken yet, and I was considering staying in Motovun for that reason.
Plus, small towns can take on such a different character in the evening, and that is very appealing.
Aug 1st, 2013, 05:18 PM
kja

yorkshire has nailed it! I stayed in Rovinj, Gračišće, and (just outside of Istria) Lovran, in part so I could visit them after a glass of wine.

BTW, have you considered driving a bit further to the spectacular Plitvice Lakes? Just a thought....
Aug 1st, 2013, 07:35 PM

We spent 5 nights in Rovinj and used it as a base for day trips. We were very happy with our choice (and we had dinner in Rovinj each night). The sunset view was amazing.

Try to fit Pltivice Lakes in your itinerary, you will not regret it.

Search this Thread