10 days in Provence...love some help!

Feb 1st, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

10 days in Provence...love some help!

will be spending 10 days in provence end of June with my husband & 2 kids (hardly kids;they are 17 & 18!). My husband & I spent 3 glorious weeks in Provence a few years ago;we relied on public transportation and bikes to get around (Marseille, Cassis, Arles,Isle-sur-la-Sorgue,Avignon,Apt). We are an active family,but this trip will be less cycling, and will rent a car as well. Would like to bike up Mt Ventoux, experience hilltop towns and markets again, a well as bigger centres (a must with teenagers),see some of the Romain ruins, and relax as only the French know how! Will fly in&out of Marseille. I was considering basing ourselves out of Vaison la Romaine for 5-7 nights, then Avignon and Isle sur la Sorgue for a few nights each.
Would anyone recommend different towns/cities?? Accomodations?
Also, any experience with "La Fete en Provence", "Domaine du Crestet", or "Hotel Burrhus" in Vaison la Romaine.
How about accomodations in town in Isle sur la Sorgue...?Hotel les Nevons?
Thanks;appreciate any & all suggestions

Feb 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM

Hi justwanna'

i strongly suggest that you search this forum for "provence" and "stu dudley", THE fodors' resident south of france expert.

he has various itineraries, including cote d'azur/provence, which he will e-mail to you.

for what my two p'th are worth, I suggest renting a gite, at least for part of the time you are there -with a family, it will give you far more room and freedom. Perhaps a week in a gite, then a few days in a hotel?

even at the age your kids are, they may prefer being in one place rather than traveling around too much. I know that mone do, and they are even older than yours!

regards, ann
Feb 1st, 2008, 09:51 AM

For your stay in the Upper Vaucluse, I suggest
www.buissonniere-provence.com
about 6km from Vaison. Be sure to include fantastic Brantes in your Mt Ventoux excursion. Also - you'll be there in the height of the lavender season and a wonderful spot (amongst many others) is between Vinsobres and Valréas.

Near L'Isle, I suggest http://www.masdukairos.com/ in a scenic hilltop village: Venasque. Joucas is a very nice hilltop village nearby. I'd split the 10 days into 2 spots, not 3.

Try to include Les Baux in your agenda.
Feb 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions annhig and TuckH.
We are quite excited to see the lavender, as we missed it last time. I remember seeing Ecole bussonniere in my internet searches, and bookmarked it based on people's reviews (& then forgot about it!).So thanks, I'll look at it again.Do you know if it is walking distance to the 2 neighbouring towns?
Les Baux is on my agenda...again, we missed it last time.,
You may be right, annhig, about the gite idea. My kids may be more comfortable in a gite setting. Any recommendations for that area?
I think I will do just 2 spots, but like a kid in a candy shop, the more I look, the more I want!
Thanks again,ideas are much appreciated.
justwannatravel
Feb 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM

I'm a little tied up right now & won't be able to respond at lenght for awhile.

We spent all of June in Provence last year (plus another 12 weeks in previous years). Last year we stayed in a Gite at the foot of Mt Ventoux. There are 3 bike shops in Bedoin where you can rent bikes. At least one of them has first class bikes (according to my cousin, who biked up Ventoux). While there, we watched the Dauphine Libere bike race go up Mt Ventoux on one of the legs of the race. Bedoin is considered the bike center for this area. Les Pins in Bedoin is nice reasonably priced hotel that gets a lot of bikers (not the Harley type).

If you plan to rent a gite, you had better do so quickly - we had ours rented 1 year in advance.

Stu Dudley
Feb 2nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, StuDudley.
I hope to tidy up all my loose ends within the week.
I will look into bike rentals..perhaps I should reserve in advance.
justwannatravel
Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM

> Do you know if it is walking distance to the 2 neighbouring towns? <

It's a farmhouse (very tastefully refurbished) midway between Villedieu and Buisson, maybe a kilometer or two from each.

When in Vaison, be sure to take in the Haute-Ville. Also nearby are two favs of ours: Séguret and Crestet.

Regarding the gite - you do know they're self-catering, right? And they're usually leased out on a weekly basis, Sat-Sat.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:11 AM

Here is the web site for the bike rental place in Bedoin that my cousin said had excellent bikes

http://www.larouteduventoux.com/

Here is another shop - that's also a pizza place. I don't know if their bikes are as good as the other place, but we had several of their pizzas and they were all excellent

www.bedoin-location.com

For 3 locations, I would pick somewhere near Vaison, somewhere in the Luberon (I would get a little closer to Gordes & Roussillon than l'Isle sur la Sorgue - but l'Isle sur la Sorgue would be fine), and then close enough to St Remy so you can walk to town & your kids can hang out there at cafes. I love Avignon, but it's a little difficult (and not that scenic) to get in & out of town.

Crestet & Seguret would be good locations near Vaison.

Do you have my 27 page itinerary for Provence??? If not, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll send a copy.

Stu Dudley
Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

I know I'm jumping around a bit, but I guess I'm still "in the formative stage" of planning. As you indicated,TuckH, gites are for one week,but I'm thinking to stay put for a while might be better. As StuDudley mentionned, I've been looking at accomodations in Seguret.
Thanks, justwannatravel
Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:27 AM

If you want to rent a gite then you have loads of options which will not have all gone though gite-de-france type may have.

We found that the local tourist office web sites were very good for us into 4 weeks before we left though we had to send eurocheque payments for deposit
Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM

> I'm thinking to stay put for a while might be better. <

While I agree with that idea, I think Séguret is a bit too far to the north and on the other side of the Dentelles for your purposes. For better access into the Luberon area, you might look closer to Bédoin or Venasque. From there you could still reach the Haut Vaucluse.
Feb 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for their help. I have often read the forum entries, but never posted prior to this year, and it has been great!
I have finalized my accomodations, and we have decided to rent a gite in Seguret for a week, and stay in Avignon for 2 nights. This allows my husband & I to experience a "new" area around les dentelles, and gives a taste of a large town atmosphere for my teenagers.
Now, I just have to be patient until June arrives!
Thanks again,
justwannatravel